Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:15 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

Someone needs to take back the conservative party before its too late. It has become the 'white rage' party that finds a few Michael Steele's to pimp so they look inclusive. They are xenophobic and exclusive. And becoming increasingly dangerous as they are whipped into a frenzy by rightwing demagoguery.

Behind closed doors this is what they look like to me:

Stopping the Next McVeigh - The Daily Beast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post

And, what about the real possibility of someone using a firearm on President Obama? No danger there right. So, to carry a firearm to a town hall meeting is probably only going to be used on a lefty, or, democrat. And, in your analogy, there's nothing wrong with that.
No misquotes at all, it's called copying and pasting a portion of a quote, which seems to be condoning the use of deadly force, but, only against a democrat. I see where you're coming from now. Where do you live? so I can stay way the hell away from you!

people getting nasty

Right wing extremism
History shows more Republican presidents successfully assassinated or attempted than Democratic presidents.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 PM

You have over 300 million Americans, some of which have no opinion, that all have interpretations built-up by their own life experiences. There is no right or wrong answer in what you think conservative is and on the x-axis most people fall somehwere in between.

My idea of conservatism is basically rugged individualism along with the smallest bureaucracy needed, not a sledgehammer to kill a fly. Of course that could mean one thing to one person and something entirely different to another.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:33 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Thumbs down Define "Conservatism"

What it used to mean:

1. minimum government interference in social matters

2. noninterventionist foreign policy

3. fiscal responsibility

What it's mutated into:

1. the religious right setting the social agenda

2. wars for profit

3. federal sponsorship of corporate interests at the expense of the public interest

I used to be a conservative. I spit on what conservatism has become.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
History shows more Republican presidents successfully assassinated or attempted than Democratic presidents.
History:
3 republican presidents have been assassinated.
7 republican presidents have had assassination attempts.
1 democratic president has been assassinated.
6 democratic presidents have had assassination attempts.

So, is it conclusive that there are more left wing radicals than right wing radicals?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
True Conservatives seek a limited government that seeks to protect and lead and not to provide. We seek responsible fiscal policy. We seek opportunity in terms of business. We seek to be able to practice ANY religion that we so choose without government and left wing oppression of said religion. We believe in charity before government handouts. We don't want authoritative figures as we don't want to be ruled. We think that large government is oppressive and seeks to make people SLAVES to the state, not individuals, and were cerainly don't believe in one state. We are all for freedom of thought but just because you disagree with what you say doesn't give you the right to try and stifle what we have to say. And we also believe in freedom of speech but that there are consequences to that freedom of speech. We believe in personal responsibility as opposed to a nanny state, individualism rather than collectivism, voluntary unity as opposed to mandatory or forced participation, and altruism or teaching the right thing to do. We don't think it takes a village to raise a child, we think it take some responsible parents who will take the time to devote to their children. We believe in education and we believe proper education starts in the home.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Would a conservative have supported giving women (and blacks) the right to vote?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
I too, was a conservative. I've voted for half a dozen Republican presidents. I've votee for one Democrat. The mob that now claims the title of "conservative" loudly labels me a lib.

Conservatism has painted itself into a shrinking corner. A corner they fashioned themselves through failed policies that DID NOT promote the national interest. They simply cannot be trusted to govern in their current form.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
What was/is the conservative position on the following issues:

1. aboliton of slavery
2. granting the right of suffrage to women and minorities
3. restriction of child labor
4. racial desegregation of schools
5. minimum wage laws and other laws that protect workers
6. US entry into World War 2
7. Korean and Vietnam Wars
8. Watergate
9. Hurricane Katrina

This list isn't exhaustive. I'm just trying to get a sense of what conservatives' positions were/are on the big issues of the day.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Would a conservative have supported giving women (and blacks) the right to vote?

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. —
So if they're for the constitution then yes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies