Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The quality of these food items is far worse. The hormones in milk cause men to grow breasts and grow to unprecedented heights (bad for joints and limbs). Crops have fewer nutrients such as magnesium (a common cause of "restless leg syndrome"), and bread has far less fiber and more empty calories. So, in reality, food in America was unable to escape the scourge of inflation. For all of Europe's other problems, at least I felt better whenever I visited family overseas and ate food on a daily basis over there. Same thing here when I eat food only purchased from the local farmer's market.
All true.

I want to add, factory farms are absolute HOTBEDS of animal CRUELTY. Read up: Farm Sanctuary | Watkins Glen, NY (http://farmsanctuary.org/issues/factoryfarming - broken link)

I'm not trying to promote vegetarianism here (though I've made that choice, personally). Because it's not about whether to eat animals or not - it's about how those animals are TORTURED their whole lives before they are killed for food.

Not to mention, the ridiculous pollution output.

So, the locavores have the right idea - if you are going to eat meat, eggs, & dairy, at least KNOW where your food is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I rented a DVD documentary this weekend called "Food, Inc.".

I always read about the large food conglomerates that control 92% of the food in the USA and have viewed other documentaries about it, but this film will change the way I buy food to feed my family.

I have never been a "fast food" consumer, occasionally I'll pick up a burger but after watching this film which opened my eyes to the bullying nature of the food producers in the USA I will be extremely wary of buying any fast food.

The film isn't so much about the gory unsanitary and inhumane conditions which food is produced (although that is featured as well), but about the politics and companies and players behind keeping this machine the dominant factor in USA agribusiness.

Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change?

I recommend concerned consumers (which should be everyone) to view this movie.

What are your thoughts?
It is good that these types of "expose" movies are being produced. Sadly, most people are so clueless that it will not make a significant impact.

I have worked hard to grow my own food as much as possible and what I cannot grow I buy from local farmers (preferably organic), and other producers. What concerns me most about industrial agriculture it's support of GMO produce.

Until people care enough to educate themselves about what they are eating nothing will change. And, judging from the eating habits of the average American, I'd say that we have a very long, long, way to go.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Obama hired a big time Monsanto lobbyist as an agricultural czar if I recall. What a great idea! Monsanto patents seeds and even forces farmers who never bought Monsanto seeds into their patent agreement, simply because bees cross-polinated from a neighboring farm who might've purchased Monsanto seeds.

Food Inc. is actually an ANTI-government stance on the food industry. Since lobbyists at the biggest firms buy politicians (see above), it stands to reason that bucking that trends sends a message to Washington that our food choices will not be decided upon whom THEY favor.

I don't trust Food Inc. either.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You're absolutely right.

People should rent this dvd and make their own judgment before blathering about what they don't know.

I'd rather find out who's really funding it. Once I find out where the money comes from, I'll already know the rest.

Last edited by momonkey; 11-08-2009 at 10:52 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'd rather find out who's really fuinding it. Once I find out where the money comes from, I'll already know the rest.
When you crack the case let us know, Columbo. You're also welcome to dispute the facts, etc. that are presented in the documentary and offer a counterargument instead of being randomly dismissive.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 PM

"The hormones in milk cause men to grow breasts and grow to unprecedented heights (bad for joints and limbs)."

Yes, I heard something about that. It's called the RuPaul syndrome.

Attachment 52535

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:04 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 11:13 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'd rather find out who's really funding it. Once I find out where the money comes from, I'll already know the rest.
Real nice, MoM. Not only are you anti-pitbull, you're anti-animal.

Once I find out it's you who is posting this garbage, I'll already know the rest.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Another film is "The World According to Monsanto". I think I watched it on Google or YouTube. Scared the crap outta me!

I've never hunted, but I'm starting to rethink that. Just bought a bunch of heirloom seeds, and I'm thinking about how much food I could grow in a greenhouse built on a 5'x19' deck. Geez, I wanna get out of the city!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
When you crack the case let us know, Columbo. You're also welcome to dispute the facts, etc. that are presented in the documentary and offer a counterargument instead of being randomly dismissive.

Oh, there is nothing random about it. When I see bored middle-aged hippies talking about evil corporations poisoning our food supply with hormones and chemicals, I know the lawyers aren't far behind. See, everybody has a flipper baby every now and then. So now the hormones that make cows produce more milk are allegedly making male hippies grow breasts. Not the pot that the hippie smokes every single day, no, can't be that. It has to be the milk the previously mentioned hippie pours on his Coco Krispies after smoking the pot. Simple logic, you can't sue the guy who sold you the pot that gave you man boobs, but you can sue Monsanto.

Milk - The Hidden Dangers, Hidden Toxins, Hormones

Gynecomastia: Prominent Male Breasts

Old 11-08-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Real nice, MoM. Not only are you anti-pitbull, you're anti-animal.

Once I find out it's you who is posting this garbage, I'll already know the rest.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies