Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

At some point the energy and money needs to stop being spent on those who don't really WANT to change their behaviors. I have a cousin who has done rehab more times than I can count, and has been hospitalized (with no money or insurance) more times than I can count. He gets money from the government, lot's of it, for being "disabled". He wants to stay alive but he also wants to drink. He can't be helped and at this point the support needs to stop and nature should take it's course. It sounds harsh but it's been a pox on his entire family for over 30 years now, not to mention the public funds wasted on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Open season on JUNKIES! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Head shot!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
At some point the energy and money needs to stop being spent on those who don't really WANT to change their behaviors. I have a cousin who has done rehab more times than I can count, and has been hospitalized (with no money or insurance) more times than I can count. He gets money from the government, lot's of it, for being "disabled". He wants to stay alive but he also wants to drink. He can't be helped and at this point the support needs to stop and nature should take it's course. It sounds harsh but it's been a pox on his entire family for over 30 years now, not to mention the public funds wasted on him.
Got anything other than anecdotal rantings? Anecdotal does not equal data.
So you hate and are in some perverse way jealous of your mentally defective cousin.
Maybe you'd like to live in his head for a while and see what's up.
People on disability don't get e"lots of money" from the government
He's been in rehab in the billions of times, that would be more than you can count.
_________

Lots of MD and attorney addicts/alcoholics out there.

VP, they're probably smarter and more productive members of society than you are, even with their addictions.

Seems to me that you're bragging to make yourself feel "better than" when you really don't. Sounds like an egomaniac with an inferiority complex.

You're not special.
Very few people have perfect childhoods.
Most get on with it the best they can and limp through life without hating an entire group of people for getting a bad shake.
(Well most people outside of CD).

That's called growing up and developing maturity.
It's not impossible and it's certainly more productive than whining.

Perhaps you could try it.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
dear OP are you working??? you said you were concerned about your tax dollars.
this is good news.
glad your problems do not interfere with employment good job.
as to drug addicts and alcoholics please dont hate them. they are sick and need help.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Agree that people need to learn a little personal responsibility, and should "man up" for their mistakes and problems. If one wants to kick a habit, one can (yes, I can say this from personal experience, so don't tell me "I don't know what it's like for these poor, afflicted souls"). Stop blaming everyone else, and stop using the tired tirade of "Oh, I can't help it, it's not MY fault; I have a disease".

I've known addicts who were in and out the revolving door of rehab...and each time they CHOOSE to go back to their drug of choice. In the end I had little sympathy and wrote these pariahs off.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Agree that people need to learn a little personal responsibility, and should "man up" for their mistakes and problems. If one wants to kick a habit, one can (yes, I can say this from personal experience, so don't tell me "I don't know what it's like for these poor, afflicted souls"). Stop blaming everyone else, and stop using the tired tirade of "Oh, I can't help it, it's not MY fault; I have a disease".

I've known addicts who were in and out the revolving door of rehab...and each time they CHOOSE to go back to their drug of choice. In the end I had little sympathy and wrote these pariahs off.
So you did it on you own, no rehab, no AA, no support in any way, shape or form.
Good for you, you're the exception not the rule.

And people who aren't addicts act the same way.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you did it on you own, no rehab, no AA, no support in any way, shape or form.
Good for you, you're the exception not the rule.

And people who aren't addicts act the same way.
But at what point do we say: Hold on wait a minute, enough already?
Its not as if no one knows what happens to people who use drugs like crack, or heroine. They get addicted. And yet some folks decide to do it anyway. At some point people need to accept responsibility for their own decision making and bad choices.
We have bailed out the banks, we are bailing out people who bought more home than they can afford, cash for clunkers. Where does it end?
I do not advocate complete abandonment of addicts. But at the same time I do not believe that we as a society own their problems either.
3 strikes your out.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I was in your shoes, as are/were millions of others.
Tough luck. You didn't get what you wanted.
You're a big boy, take care of yourself.
It is not that easy. I am taking care of myself and getting the help I need, I just need a little help to help myself.

Quote:
Or whine about it, seems as if that's all you want to do.
If you're not part of your own solution, you're the problem.
How long are you going to blame someone else for your feelings/inadequacies?
You try going through what I was put through, then tell me how it feels. I was a victim and did not ask for what happened: any idiot who starts smoking crack knows good and well what will happen.

Quote:
There comes a time when you have to take responsibility for yourself.
Hatred of your parental unit won't help you.
Now you're making her a scapegoat for your personal shortcomings.
No, it is an explanation, not a scapegoat. And at least I am taking initiative for myself and fixing my problem, unlike an addict who needs a stupid "intervention".

Quote:
What's the difference between what you're doing (making excuses for yourself and your shortcomings/human failings), and the addict that you're so angry with? I can't see much.
The differences are:
1) I am still a productive member of society (I have a job and pay taxes and give to charity)
2) I am a law abiding citizen (closest thing to trouble with the law I have ever had is a ticket for running a stop sign at two o'clock in the morning)
3) I am not hurting anyone (unlike an addict who beat the crap out of her own kids)
4) I take care of those people who depend on me, like my father who was in the hospital for weeks and in physical therapy for months after a car accident, and my sister who's husband left her and doesn't pay child support, while my "mother" the addict, meanwhile, left me malnurished and spent all the child support on drugs and booze.

Big differences.

Quote:
BTW, your body doesn't know if it's alcohol or some other drug you're putting in your body.
A drug is a drug is a drug.
Yes, there are big differences. Alcohol is something people drink all the time with no problem. I can see how someone, seeing the vast majority of people who drink and whom do not have a problem with it, can start drinking and suddenly find themselves addicted. I cannot understand how someone can start doing crack or heroine: have they ever seen someone who just does a little heroine and crack every now and then and is okay? NO. No one has.

You know no good can possibly come out of it, so why start doing it?

Quote:
Do I know what I'm talking about, more than you would want to know.

I started smoking cigarrets when I was fourteen, and a few months ago I quit cold turkey...no issues. If you look, tobacco is actually MORE addictive then alcohol:

Yet, I was able to quit after over ten years of use and it didn't cost the tax payers anything. Trust me, after being addicted to smoking, which I was able to quit cold-turkey, and living with an addict and seeing addicts all the time, I know what I am talking about.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
I hope you get the assistance you need to help but your above stated mindset is one you expect others to follow with addiction is something you could follow in regards to your own problems.
I smoked for fourteen years, half my life, and was addicted to tobacco. One day, a doctor convinced me to quit, so I did. No patch, no gum, no pills. I just throw the cigarrets away, and that was that.

My "addiction", like all other addictions, was a choice.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I agree 100%. I could see if everyone was given one chance at rehab, and then that was that, but to waste so much money on these people for so long while, in the meantime, there are war Veterans who fought for this country who are homeless, in the streets and a whole host of people who could be productive members of society if they were just given a little help to help themselves who are pushed aside...

Help those who wish to help themselves to help themselves, and if someone is so dead-set on destroying themselves I say, who the heck is the government to use my tax-payer dollars to stop them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies