Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
No they arent a base of the republican party. You just tell yourself that because it helps to deny them

The person that planned the one I attended in APril was a democrat.

I dont know how many times people need to tell you this
Yeah... just like the protesters of the Iraq War who were lock-step Democrats who said they were Republicans

Tea bag party people are the Republican base and supporters of the conservative ideology. In 2009 they have already decided their votes for the next few cycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What is arrogant and uncaring about pointing out TO DEMOCRATIC LEGISLATORS that they never had the votes of these protestors to begin with, and their vote on health care reform isn't going to change that?

That's called a political reality. If you're a Republican elected into office, your district probably supports more Republican positions. You don't vote on the Democratic side because you hope to get more Democratic votes next time, and potentially lose your Republican support. You vote the way the people who elected you want you to vote.

Obama is pointing out that the protestors aren't the people who voted these DEMOCRATS into office. And these same protestors won't be voting for a DEMOCRAT next election, no matter how the DEMOCRAT votes on health care reform. So the legislator needs to be thinking, not about the protestors, but about the people in his district, the people who voted for him last time around, and whether they want health care reform or not.
I think the arrogance comes in the manner in which he dismisses them.

if the quote is accurate, Obama calls them "anti government."

that is very dismissive of a group of people who are organizing for the purpose of getting the government to act responsibly

Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm willing to bet, most of them have bought into the lies. It works! It has worked for eons. It worked for Hitler. It works for politicians today.
Yep you're right.

That why some people still think this isn't about govt takeover of all health care. It's also why people actually think the govt will be able to do it cheaper and better than it is today wiothout rationing.

They have bought into the Democrats lies.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
A fine isn't a jail sentence.
unless you cant afford the fine. this scam isnt a choice it will be forced on all Americans.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,842 times
Quote:
What is arrogant and uncaring about pointing out TO DEMOCRATIC LEGISLATORS that they never had the votes of these protestors to begin with, and their vote on health care reform isn't going to change that?

That's called a political reality. If you're a Republican elected into office, your district probably supports more Republican positions. You don't vote on the Democratic side because you hope to get more Democratic votes next time, and potentially lose your Republican support. You vote the way the people who elected you want you to vote.

Obama is pointing out that the protestors aren't the people who voted these DEMOCRATS into office. And these same protestors won't be voting for a DEMOCRAT next election, no matter how the DEMOCRAT votes on health care reform. So the legislator needs to be thinking, not about the protestors, but about the people in his district, the people who voted for him last time around, and whether they want health care reform or not.
Exactly

The individuals who go to a rally/press conference because Michelle Bachmann asked them to aren't going to be supporting Democrats.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post

It is arrogant to identify those who oppose the health care bill as anti-government or extremists.
It's ignorant to infer that there was any attempt to paint all those against the bill as anti-government or extremists.
Quote:

It is uncaring to demean those citizens who disagree with his plans and goals.
He said he said he said. You do realize that just because it's in quotes, doesn't mean those are the exact words used by the President, right? Someone told someone that someone said something, then that second someone wrote it down. And yet you believe it wholeheartedly. Interesting.
Quote:

What is "All it will do is confuse and dispirit†Democratic voters" about? He ran for the office of President of the United States- not the Democrat party. Does this mean that you don't count if you're an Independent or Republican Citizen? Arrogance!
Well, if he said anything remotely like that, it means that if Democrats in congress cater to the extremists, they will lose their Democratic base of support, which is significantly larger and potentially more politically detrimental to lose. It says nothing at all about the actual importance of Independents or Republicans and everything to say about extremists not being allowed to hijack this bill with their wingnuttery.
Quote:

I totally disagree with your assumption "that they never had the votes of these protestors to begin with". With greater than 50% opposing the bill there are certainly Independents and Democrats who voted for Obama in opposition. Was it 39 D Reps voting against it? They were elected by Republicans right?
Greater than 50% of who?

Must I keep repeating the FACT that Rasmussen only polls LIKELY VOTERS, who therefore DO NOT AND CAN NOT REPRESENT ALL OF AMERICANS?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Given the way you are protesting, I suspect you just might be a big teabagger, Ferd.

If I hadnt read enough of your posts to know you live in a wierd fantasy world I might be offended by this comment.

considering the source......not so much...

Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
Yeah... just like the protesters of the Iraq War who were lock-step Democrats who said they were Republicans

Tea bag party people are the Republican base and supporters of the conservative ideology. In 2009 they have already decided their votes for the next few cycles.
So what if they are? What difference does it matter?

If they oppose it they oppose it.

We live in a republic. That mean the wishes and rights of the minority are to be considered.

They have every right to protest. And if this SickCare legislation becomes law I can assure you that the next people elected to Congress will be running on the idea of overturning it. Book it.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Wow you came at me guns ablazing eh?...And you really believe this?...lol
She does have a point though. Go to some non-partisan web sites and read to get the truth because you are being fooled. Like Jill61 say's "all left wing talking points".

I really feel for people who are so stuck on the left or right, they really never know the truth or just won't accept it.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
You made my point.

There is no reason to think people are opposed to Obama's health "care" proposal based on his race. In order to believe that you have to believe that somewhere close to 200 million people in this country are racists. Since that is abut the numvber of people that oppose this plan.

Dems use race all the time. It's getting old and people aren't buying into that lie about republicans anymore.

I doubt I made any point of yours, if you were to quote me correctly...why, you may ask? Because I never said that people are opposed to Obama's "Health 'care'" due to his race. I said race is a driving force for some of these teapartiers. Hell, Im not against his healthcare policy because of his race, but I certainly dont agree with all of it. That has nothing to do with these teapartiers who are against HIM AND HIS POLICIES (not necessarily healthcare) due to his race.

There is a ton of evidence that people oppose the guy due to his race. I mean, sure you can ignore it if you choose to...lol but that doesnt mean it never existed. Do we really need me to provide proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies