Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it was definitely a bad choice, and very careless, but not quite as out there as you'd think at first glance.
Probably accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 12:34 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:
there's a HUGE line between defending people you think are idiots and declaring that they should be kept in an iranian prison for over a year just because they made a stupid mistake.

yes, i realize you're making a reference to the iranian hostage crisis, but the whole "these people deserve harsh punishment because they're liberals" thing going on in this thread is just sickening.
They can live with the consequences of their decision. It makes no difference what I or anyone else thinks they deserve. I hope that we do not expend a lot of money, time, resources, or God forbid, soldiers' lives, trying to secure their release. Your idiocy does not translate into my responsibility, in other words.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:26 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I just want to clarify something. My intention wasn't to question how they wandered over the border but why anyone would want to hike in Iraq. I pretty much think of Iraq, outside of its towns which may be lovely, as sand, heat, sandstorms and roadside bombs and frankly don't see the appeal in walking around in that environment all day as a conscious choice. I asked what they do for a living because I wanted to see if their jobs had anything to do with being in northern Iraq or hiking, in general. You know, like they're there on business and decided to do something they do at home - hike. I just found it odd that the few news stories I read emphasize their Berkley connection, instead of their occupations, when they are way beyond college age, like "Berkley" explains why they'd do something so crazy.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
hiking is actually incredibly common, and safe, in that particular area of iraq. locals say it's a good idea to take a guide though, because it's easy to accidentally cross into iran, as these guys did.

why would you go hiking there? because it's beautiful.

Explain that because it doesn't look beautiful.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
try googling "ahmed awa" and "kurdistan". it is a beautiful area. the area where they were hiking is a tourist attraction known for its waterfalls, and has always been a very safe area of the country.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris-kutschera/sets/72157594191061614/ (broken link)

i believe that the stories emphasize their berkeley connection because that is how they know each other.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:19 PM

558 posts, read 818,709 times
Whenever I tell people the places I've been or intend to go, they generally just shake their heads and ask, "why?" All I can say is if you don't already "get it" it's hard to understand. Some people just strive for adventure. They enjoy seeing new places and experiencing different cultures and landscapes. They want to know what's there. They want to explore the world. It makes you feel like you're really free in some way.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Been there, done that. Twice.

"Hiking" in Iraq is not fun. I'll just leave it at that.

I can see no good reason to go on personal adventure in Iraq given the circumstances. Perhaps 25 years from now when the country is a functioning democracy with a tourist industry, but not now. Every single day I reflect on my time in the Big Sand Box, and I can say unequivocally that Iraq is at the bottom of my list of "must visits." As a momento, I kept a pair of formerly brand new boots that the tread was completely worn off in 1 months time. Harsh, harsh place indeed.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
Whenever I tell people the places I've been or intend to go, they generally just shake their heads and ask, "why?" All I can say is if you don't already "get it" it's hard to understand. Some people just strive for adventure. They enjoy seeing new places and experiencing different cultures and landscapes. They want to know what's there. They want to explore the world. It makes you feel like you're really free in some way.
I can agree with that. I'd put myself in that category for sure.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:30 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
They were hiking in Kurdistan; not Iraq proper. Big difference.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
And if they are Jewish kids from Berkeley hiking around a Muslim country with whom we are at war.....
Which country would that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies