Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:31 PM

50 posts, read 86,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most of the people that are most affected by economic cycles are working class whites and the reason they are affected is because they are uneducated- or barely got through high school in many cases and to be honest many of them are not especially bright- especially in the south. Where else would poor whites go and die for rich slave owners that used slaves to depress wages and keep the poor whites unemployed? These people are easy to fool- all you really have to do is wave a Bible and a flag in front of them and they will go ape sht over anything else you are selling them- even if it is poison. Fortunately for the country this class of people are having less and less influence and declining in population which means that soon we will be rid of them for good hopefully. Having come from this background myself I will say this- some working class whites "get it" and are OK decent people. Sure they might like a few beers and get a bit wild on Friday nights- as do I sometimes- but they don't feel the need to use the n word and the b word every other word and they don't beat their wives and kids everyday. And they don't disdain education and in fact do what they can to make sure their kids get an education and do not have to spend their lives in a factory with no job security. I am glad my folks were like that. But they were the decent minority in the cesspool of rednecks.
Here we go again. Let's bash the stupid white man and not say anything negative about either blacks or hispanics even though those two groups have the worst statistics of any group in the country. You are a typical liberal. You make me sick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 01:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
It is a false assumption, people always vote their best interest. People understand that we are meritocracy, not a perfect meritocracy but the best one there is. And because of that people further understand that their position in society is dynamic not static. Sure confiscating the wealth of everyone they envy may be in their short term interest but they instinctiveley understand that if they destroy the ownership class is seriously impacts their ongong ability to work since the means of production would be shattered not to mention there would be no long term market for that which they produce anyway. Also it ruins whatever prospects people would have to advance from their current status.

Even the more "reasonable" redistribution of wealth schemes are stacked against the middle class and favor the poor and the wealthy.

Much is made of the fact that folks with money vote Democrat, they may be true but the reason is clear to permanently lock their place in in society and more importantly to keep you out.

It is not suprising that peope on the extremes of society vote Democrat, those on the bottom want a way up, and those on top want to stay there.

Last edited by shorebaby; 01-24-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 01:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augr0399 View Post
Here we go again. Let's bash the stupid white man and not say anything negative about either blacks or hispanics even though those two groups have the worst statistics of any group in the country. You are a typical liberal. You make me sick!
This post was not about blacks or Mexicans. But if you go back and look at my post history you will see I have had plenty to say about Ghettoites and their own breed of stupidity.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:59 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times
Quote:
some working class whites "get it" and are OK decent people. Sure they might like a few beers and get a bit wild on Friday nights- as do I sometimes- but they don't feel the need to use the n word and the b word every other word and they don't beat their wives and kids everyday. And they don't disdain education and in fact do what they can to make sure their kids get an education and do not have to spend their lives in a factory with no job security.
Quote:
Sure they want government handouts. It is a LIE to say that working whites don't want government handouts. Most of them are on some kind of help.

So, MOST working class white people are on government handouts, disdain education, beat their wives & children, and refer to everyone else with derogitory names? Only "some" of them get it and are decent people? Is that what you really believe? If you do, then you are one of the most closed minded, bigoted people I have ever known.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:09 PM

711 posts, read 932,721 times
[quote=CRDolan;11564138]Why do working class white Republicans vote against their own economic interests?

Well, some are not really as well informed as they should be and feel comfortable in their partisan cacoon.

Some young people feel they are on the side of a winning trend that will somehow enrich them and mysteriously make them whole. Siding with the priviledged sometimes boosts the ego.

Outside of this narrow thinking there is not actually a good valid reason and I agree that that it is generally self-destructive.
I could not have said it better--rep for you!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So, MOST working class white people are on government handouts, disdain education, beat their wives & children, and refer to everyone else with derogitory names? Only "some" of them get it and are decent people? Is that what you really believe? If you do, then you are one of the most closed minded, bigoted people I have ever known.
That is what I know. I came from there.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:28 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times
Quote:
That is what I know. I came from there.
You didn't say most working class white people where you grew up, or where you came from, or that you've known. You said most working class white people. You way want to edit those posts to reflect what you now claim you meant.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 01-24-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You didn't say most working class white people where you grew up, or where you came from, or that you've known. You said most working class white people. You way want to edit those posts to reflect what you now claim you meant.
I know what I am talking about. I grew up in Oaklawn Kansas. There are fewer places on Earth that are more "working class white" places. Everybody there was blue collar- or on welfare if they were not working. It was a community of factory workers and waitresses. It could have been the neighbourhood of Archie Bunker. And it had his attitudes as well. So I know what I speak of.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,191 times
Since nothing in this thread is linked to statistical support I'll just repsond to the part...

Quote:
Thanks to George W. Bush- many working class whites woke-up.
...to say that this is actually the point at which those little ACORNS sprouted ballots for non-documented voters.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Becasue they realise like the AMT that eventually most of those cost are going to effect them. If not in taxes certainly in prices with little to no governamnt support with their income. Beside that there will be lesss of a middle class as businesses hire less people and do what they are now;keep labor cost down. Look at europe were the present unemployem,nt rate of 10% would be a good economy and anyhting less than 25% under the age of 30 also considered good.Nothing is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies