Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 PM

429 posts, read 1,116,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bush waterboarded people he deemed to be an enemy, not taking away my rights.
For the record, if you waterboard people you deem an enemy, without sufficient evidence, based on bias judgements about particular groups of peoples, then yeah, you're taking away that group's right to be simply be who they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 03:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Obviously our freedom losing friends need some help.

Article I, Section 9

Limits on Congress

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.

The privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another: nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another.

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

The first 10 Amendments - The Bill of Rights

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment 3 - Quartering of Soldiers. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings. Ratified 12/15/1791.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment 6 - Right to Speedy Trial, Confrontation of Witnesses. Ratified 12/15/1791.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Amendment 7 - Trial by Jury in Civil Cases. Ratified 12/15/1791.

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment 9 - Construction of Constitution. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

So which rights are you being denied?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post

You can hurt others with your poor health as well. We'll all end up paying just as if you didn't have car insurance.
OMG, WHAT IS THIS? The damned Butterfly Effect?????

Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
For the record, if you waterboard people you deem an enemy, without sufficient evidence, based on bias judgements about particular groups of peoples, then yeah, you're taking away that group's right to be simply be who they are.
But, assuming vacuity is not your specialty, waterboarding is, in fact, how much evidence is obtained. And you want the evidence BEFORE waterboarding..........???? No need to waterboard in that case.........

Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM

558 posts, read 818,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Maybe there's a few more restrictions on businesses, but that's about it. I don't know of any new restrictions on individuals since Obama became President.
I agree and feel pretty much the same way. I don't feel any less free now than before Obama took office. The Patriot Act along with all the increased security measures at airports were certainly blows to our freedom, but all that began under a previous administration. Of course, I despise Obama almost as much as Bush simply because he's not doing anything worth while to reverse any of that stuff.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:12 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times
Quote:
Nice try but.
Where do you get your data on Bush spying on american citizens?
And the citizen was compensated dearly for the unlawful action, but that doesnt tell me how bush took away our rights..
Bush expanded "state secrets", like what? I know, you cant answer, its a secret.
Bush fired individuals in compliance with the laws, and did not violate anyones rights.
Bush waterboarded people he deemed to be an enemy, not taking away my rights.

The question is, how did Bush takeaway our rights. None of these are adaquate replies.
You are absolutely unbelievable. I point to actual violations of civil liberties, and you think nobody's rights have been violated. Are you really so determined to defend your position that you choose to look like an idiot voluntarily?

Stop and think for a minute. Think about what you're writing.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
Rights are granted to individuals who are US citizens, or on US soil. Those waterboarded fell under neither category..

Old 11-10-2009, 04:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You are absolutely unbelievable. I point to actual violations of civil liberties, and you think nobody's rights have been violated. Are you really so determined to defend your position that you choose to look like an idiot voluntarily?

Stop and think for a minute. Think about what you're writing.
The answer remaind unchanged. When asked to list liberties and freedoms have been lost under Bush, you replied with a list of individuals being fired, waterboarded, and "secrets", none of which are right, not a liberty, not a freedom, and in the case of waterboarding, those waterboarded are not covered under the american constitution and therefor not an informed reply.

I thought about what I was writing, but you had your mind made up before reading it, and if you think you are correct, tell me where one maintains the right to have a job, the right to obtain secrets etc. I have no right to know what Obama is doing 24 hrs a day nor did you for Bush. Yes, national security is indeed a viable defense.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:49 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times
Quote:
The answer remaind unchanged. When asked to list liberties and freedoms have been lost under Bush, you replied with a list of individuals being fired, waterboarded, and "secrets", none of which are right, not a liberty, not a freedom, and in the case of waterboarding, those waterboarded are not covered under the american constitution and therefor not an informed reply.

I thought about what I was writing, but you had your mind made up before reading it, and if you think you are correct, tell me where one maintains the right to have a job, the right to obtain secrets etc. I have no right to know what Obama is doing 24 hrs a day nor did you for Bush. Yes, national security is indeed a viable defense.
Jose Padilla was an American citizen - tortured.

Further, the Constitution certainly does cover non-citizens. I can't believe I'm having a conversation with someone who doesn't even understand that simple fact.

And I wasn't talking about the rights of the individual attorneys general. I was talking about our right to have an unbiased Judiciary.

Your point here is ridiculous. And you have yet to point to a single credible instance of freedom or liberty being denied in the last 9 months.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
based on what you posted, congress and obama are violating #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Obviously our freedom losing friends need some help.

Article I, Section 9

Limits on Congress

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.

The privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another: nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another.

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

The first 10 Amendments - The Bill of Rights

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment 3 - Quartering of Soldiers. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings. Ratified 12/15/1791.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment 6 - Right to Speedy Trial, Confrontation of Witnesses. Ratified 12/15/1791.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Amendment 7 - Trial by Jury in Civil Cases. Ratified 12/15/1791.

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment 9 - Construction of Constitution. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

So which rights are you being denied?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies