Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM

301 posts, read 208,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
That's not the point. And it doesn't matter how many times people drag out the "mandatory car insurance" analogy -- it's still not the same thing. I can choose not to drive; therefore, I don't have to carry auto insurance. It the government orders me to carry health insurance, my only choice not to carry it is to (1) pay an enormous fine and possibly go to prison, or (2) die.

Of course I'll carry insurance. However, it is not the government's place to ORDER me to buy it. Just like it's none of the government's business whether I wear a seat belt in my own car.
You can choose not live, therefore you wouldn't have to carry health insurance under a bill that hasn't yet been signed..

In reality, everybody wants healthcare and everyone should be able to obtain it. You all can claim all day that you don't want healthcare but in fact you want it or have it. If you have it, this bill wont effect you, and if you want it, this bill will allow you to get it.

It appears that the only liberty lost would be the one that allows arrogant folks to look down on those less fortunate.

Being taxed isn't something you that started in the last 10 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
For one to lose a freedom, that freedom must first exist. Some of these responses are hilarious. There is no freedom from taxation. Doesn't exist. The freedom not to be warned about going on Fox News? That's just plain funny. The freedom not to have health care? Nope. Not a freedom. All you anarchists should start your own country. I hear there's an opportunity in Montana.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
I keep reading about all of the freedoms and liberties that certain folks have lost over the last 10 months. I haven't lost any freedoms and have no clue as to what they're talking about.

Can those that have lost a freedom/liberty over the last 10 months, please list them.
cant rap in mcdonalds lmao

Old 11-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
haha, the predictions are the best part. They have been making those since before the election. Yet somehow none of them ever pan out. How could that possibly be?
They've been making these predictions since Clinton...no...since Roosevelt actually. Same ol' same ol'. Are we communist yet?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The freedom to stop government from bailing out businesses? Yep, that is a freedom whether you like it or not!
You may not like it, but the legally elected Congress and President both supported it.

Thats not a freedom taken away, you still have the freedom to display your displeasure with it, and vote for someone who won't do the same thing.

You're answer is like saying "My freedom to stop the government from legalizing abortions was taken away". Its simply not the case.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Did you count the liberals who pretend that new laws dont limit liberties?
As much as rightwingers scream "Constitution!" I've never seen the clause that gives us freedom to be immune from law. Can you show me that clause, please?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM

The freedom to not choose to insure yourself is being taken away.

I support an ammendment to the bill that would allow an individual to opt out of the fine for not having insurance. However, they must also sign a waver allowing any hospital or doctor not to see them without cash up front.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The freedom to not choose to insure yourself is being taken away.
Can you show me where this freedom is enumerated?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
As much as rightwingers scream "Constitution!" I've never seen the clause that gives us freedom to be immune from law. Can you show me that clause, please?

The United States was setup to have STATES pass laws which limited freedoms, while the federal government dealt with intrastate commerce and international issues. To pretend that the Congress passes no laws which infring upon states rights, which directly infringes upon our rights is rediculous, even for the left wing.

And with EVERY law passed, its indeed a right/freedom removed. I didnt say that removal of these rights were all bad, (example, one bill involves removal of your freedom to manipulate your caller ID number to display a fake number). That right existed because no laws existed which said you couldnt do it and by writing a new law, this freedom was removed. Is it positive to remove this right, most likely most would see it that way but indeed it is a freedom removed.

Last edited by pghquest; 11-10-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Can you show me where this freedom is enumerated?
Right now I have the right to not buy insurance. Just like I have the right to not pay for car insurance, if I don't want to drive a car.

That right (or freedom) is being removed by the current bill.

I already answered how to fix this, allow someone to not be insured, and not fined. However, you are on your own for paying for healthcare. If you can't meet the bill, then you don't get it. Take your chances.

The original constitution didn't give someone the right to own slaves, for example, but it didn't take that right away either.

This is what the Constitution was supposed to do. If it was expressly prohibited by it, then you have that freedom. Some people didn't like that idea, so they passed the bill of rights. However, if the US constitution doesn't cover a topic today, it is up to the states to determine if they want to enact a law for or against something. If the state doesn't do it, then you have the right to choose if you want to do that or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies