Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Eating Meat Products and Wearing Fur Inhuman and should it be stopped?
Yes - eating meat and wear fur is inhumane and should be stopped 3 5.36%
No - neither practice is inhumane. Animals were put on earth for these purposes 29 51.79%
Divided - Eating Meat is fine - Wearing Furs should be stopped 22 39.29%
Undecided at this time 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 PM

737 posts, read 1,174,505 times

Advertisements

Is it inhumane? Eating meat isn't inhumane by itself. However the way animals are treated is in order to produce as much meat as possible for as little money as possible is terrible.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Waste is not the main point.

I already posted the main point:
Real Fur is MUCH better than Faux fur

Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,473,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Real Fur is MUCH better than Faux fur
We're having a fact-based debate here, not a baseless opinion contest.

Anyway, I disagree - polyester-filled jackets and fleece are warmer, especially when goretex is involved.

But if you're obsessed with animal products for warmth, use wool.

But, AGAIN, that's not the point.

The point is animal abuse and torture. NOTHING justifies that. Especially not your yuppy comfort or your wife's vanity.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:03 PM

527 posts, read 1,279,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I have no problem with eating meat.

I have a big problem with wearing fur. I think killing animals for their fur should be abolished.
I agree. Nowadays, we don't even need fur. Unless you live in Northern Canada or Alaska..

Old 11-10-2009, 08:05 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
We're having a fact-based debate here, not a baseless opinion contest.

Anyway, I disagree - polyester-filled jackets and fleece are warmer, especially when goretex is involved.

But if you're obsessed with animal products for warmth, use wool.

But, AGAIN, that's not the point.

The point is animal abuse and torture. NOTHING justifies that. Especially not your yuppy comfort or your wife's vanity.
Actually fur is still the warmest material. Warmer than wool in fact.

Fur does not always equate to animal abuse and torture. In the U.S. it generally does not.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,431,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I'd love to wear fur, there's nothing like it. But it's wrong. (You'd think They'd have come up with a good faux fur in this day and age ) I'd love to kill some people but it's wrong. Some things are just wrong. Newsflash to righties, the earth isnt about *you*.

As for how that fur was "harvested" in South Korea for your bomber jacket....
Please explain this comment.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:09 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Fur does not always equate to animal abuse and torture. In the U.S. it generally does not.
For many people fur is not worn for warmth, but social status. The more I think on that the more bizarre it seems. Animals, in this case human animals, are a strange lot. It's primative in a way and that puts it into a bit of perspective for me.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
I agree. Nowadays, we don't even need fur. Unless you live in Northern Canada or Alaska..
Indeed. I'd even venture to say, not even there.

My mother recently took a trip to Alaska, and did not need fur.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Here is a list of SYNTHETIC sleeping bags sold by R.E.I., and rated for temperatures as low as ZERO degrees F. NO fur, or even down, involved.

You're right, it doesn't always, and the U.S. may have gotten better about it. But most of our fur comes from overseas, where regulations are waaay more lax, and we need to eliminate the market for that.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,431,784 times
I voted divided but after reading and thinking more about it I would say that both are ok IF the process were to be done in a human way and NOT with animals that are endangered. I think out teeth alone show we were meant to eat meat but I understand people who don't.

Again I think either is fine if it were to be done in a human way unfortunately I know the fur part is not and that disgusts me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.