Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Eating Meat Products and Wearing Fur Inhuman and should it be stopped?
Yes - eating meat and wear fur is inhumane and should be stopped 3 5.36%
No - neither practice is inhumane. Animals were put on earth for these purposes 29 51.79%
Divided - Eating Meat is fine - Wearing Furs should be stopped 22 39.29%
Undecided at this time 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:38 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
hm, you're right - it looks like the information i had was out of date. i always thought the b12 in nutritional yeast and tofu was naturally occurring, but i guess they're fortified.

however, a vegan diet that includes foods fortified with b12 is fine. and the b12 in supplements comes from vegan sources (bacteria).

That's cool, I just think the B-12 thing shows that there is a natural benefit to animal products. Nothing wrong with supplements either.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
That's cool, I just think the B-12 thing shows that eating animal products isn't unnatural.
did anyone say it was unnatural?

i guess some people do say that humans are naturally herbivores - i don't think that's true; i think we're probably omnivores. i don't think the "it's natural/unnatural" is a good argument either for or against veganism or vegetarianism.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Chased it and shot it?
Hunted - tracked - then shot.

If the shot was not "clean", you track the deer (usually by a blood trail), then take another shot to kill the deer

Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
did the deer live its entire life in a little box before you shot it? or crowded in a feedlot with hundreds of other deer? are their antlers ripped out of their heads to keep them from butting each other?

do you ever miss your shot and not quite kill the deer before it's skinned and cut apart?

do hunters go nuts the way slaughterhouse workers do and start torturing the deer for fun while they're hunting?
I have had occassions where I did not get a clean shot. I tracked the deer until I could take another shot and kill it.

You do not "skin" a deer during a hunt. You do field dress it out though.

And, I have several Racks of a couple of Bucks hanging on the wall.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well, we disagree with you. Fur, and animal hides, have been used as clothing for centuries.

BTW, do you have any leather products that you use? Perhaps shoes, or car seats?

Should this be abolished also?
Well, since cows are bred to provide meat to humans and the majority of the animal is used in the process, I find that to be different than hunting, killing or breeding animals specifically for their fur.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I did not ask Bambi
i added a lot to my post since you responded.

the differences between the life and death of a hunted animal vs. a factory farmed animal are like night and day. in any case i wasn't even contrasting factory farming with hunting - i was contrasting it with traditional farming. the differences are still massive.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I have had occassions where I did not get a clean shot. I tracked the deer until I could take another shot and kill it.

You do not "skin" a deer during a hunt. You do field dress it out though.

And, I have several Racks of a couple of Bucks hanging on the wall.
my point is that all of the things i listed and more happen to factory farmed animals. they are consequences of treating animals like products in an assembly line. they do not generally happen to animals killed in a hunt. i'm assuming that when you removed those racks, the bucks were already dead, yes? that's not the case for bulls raised in feedlots.

i don't personally approve of hunting but being realistic, i find it a much preferable way to obtain meat than from a factory farm. at least the deer lived a decent life in the wild and doesn't suffer too much in its death.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, since cows are bred to provide meat to humans and the majority of the animal is used in the process, I find that to be different than hunting, killing or breeding animals specifically for their fur.
Nothing goes to waste on fur farms, the meat is often used as feed for other animals, some glands get used too. With wild furbearers trapped, generally, everything has a use of some sort. In the beaver, for instance, there's the fur, the castor, the meat is good for eating or for bait to catch other animals like fisher cats...

Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I don't know about that! It's deer season here and my place is always the place where my friends and I cut up whatever we get for deer. We cut and packaged a small buck last Sunday. There was plenty of gore to go around and I know a good many people who will not participate in the butchering process. They will gladly eat the meat but do not want to witness the skinning, quartering, cutting, boning, and trimming of the meat. I don't think any of us particularly ENJOY cutting up an animal it's just something we have to do. After all is said and done it's nice to have venison for the freezer. On the other hand I'm not sure I'd want to cut up a 1200 pound beef critter too often (although we have done 800 pound moose in the past)!
My husband is a hunter - his pals usually just gut the deer and send it to a processor pal for dressing into nice, neat little packages.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
hopefully with a head shot
Heart shot, don't you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies