Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop Muslim immigration to the US for the next 10-15 years?
Yes 115 56.10%
No 90 43.90%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Hey everyone,

Should we stop Muslim Immigration to the USA for the next 10-15 years?

Why or why not?

This is a tough one and I do have my stance on it. I am just wondering what you all think.
Seeing as US only gives out a limited number of visas anyhow, I think we should give preference to a non-muslim over a muslim. I know this isn't politically correct, and it's painting a broad stroke over an entire population of mostly innocent people, but in the best interest of our country I think it's an appropriate policy.

Better yet, I think we should take a closer look at the people we are granting visas to. Do more serious background checks of the muslims we give visas to. And, let's not forget about the home-grown terrorist threat. We need to be looking closely at the radicals already here in our country. If they are foreign-born and promoting jihadist acts in their mosques, we need to kick their a$$es out of our country. If they are american born and doing that, we need to come up with some policies to protect our nation. I don't know what though, given we have freedom of speech here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Why or why not?

This is a tough one and I do have my stance on it. I am just wondering what you all think.
Good question. I find it disheartening we're having this discussion, but it is timely. Stopping "all Muslim immigration" may be a stretch....but after the Fort Hood massacre recently (and our reluctance to discuss the 'whys' in any lucid way), I'd be willing to at least consider banning all practicing Muslims from serving in the US military....at least as a temporary measure.

Is fundmentalist Islam even COMPATIBLE with a free and open society? That I've never heard explained in any convincing way. But from what we do know, true, believing, practicing fundamentalist Muslims probably should NOT have access to weapons; CERTAINLY not during a time when we as a nation are "engaged" in military action in a Muslim nation.

Is this holding Muslims up for "special" (restrictive) treatment? Yes, I suppose it is. Does fundamental Islam, by its doctrines and its requirements for its followers, fit the definition of a 'hate group'? I don't know...maybe. Are MOST muslims innocent, non-violent people? Of course they are; but most Ku Klux Klansmen are 'non-violent', too; it's just that they hang around with some pretty scary people, have some pretty ugly doctrines, and spout some pretty scary beliefs.

Are openly-practicing, avowed Ku Klux Klan members allowed to serve in sensitive positions in the military? I honestly don't know...but they shouldn't be, if they are.

I can't see banning Muslim immigration; I can visualize perhaps banning practicing members from certain sensitive positions, once they're here...or requiring them to renounce certain beliefs.

Scary situation....we live in interesting times.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 PM

41 posts, read 53,883 times
As regards the Mexicans: when you come to a new country, you learn the language of that country. In the case of the US, that language is English. You don't want to learn it, go back to Mexico. I lived in France and when I was out shopping, whatever, I spoke French. I did not expect the French to speak English. The Mexicans expect us to learn Spanish. Why? Why does everything need to be in two languages. It does nothing but allow them to function without having to learn our language. I am a native American...in both senses of the term. You come to this country, two things need to be in play: you come here legally and you learn the language. Why is that so hard to "get"?

As for Muslims, stop ALL immigration. I don't give a damn about how "nice" or "peaceful" they seem to be--read the bloody Qu'aran some time: this religion is obsessed with spreading itself by any means necessary. We have enough religious nuts running around this country. We don't really need any more of that (though I do agree with the poster who said that plenty of little homegrown terrorists are running around, many of them raised in Christian families).

After 9/11 I am not disposed to look well on Muslims and don't care who knows it. I believe the part about Dearborn. I lived there for several years and each year things got crazier and crazier. The year I left there was a huge fight about the local mosque wanting to broadcast the call to prayer five times a day. Sorry, but if I wanted that sort of crap I would have moved to a Muslim country. Thank God for Switzerland for not allowing any of that nonsense. And I praise those countries that are cracking down on all the crap with the burqua and hijab and the niquab. The religion demeans women--think about what you read how women are treated in countries like Afghanistan. Why would we want that in a country like the U.S.?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Why or why not?

If we handled people who are at war with us like we should, this would not be necessary.

We are at the point when I think we need to do something in this direction - along w/ deporting the rabble rousing imans. No military service for those with that ideology. I'm not worried about what they think right now. They have no problem banning Bibles - I don't have a problem removing the troublemakers.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:42 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
We should stop or greatly reduce immigration period. With over 300 million people we don't need more people.

NumbersUSA | For Lower Immigration Levels - For Lower Immigration Levels (http://www.numbersusa.com/content/ - broken link)
I agree. We're pretty much bursting at the seams here (308 mill was the last count, I believe). Of these, how many rely heavily on the government for long-term services? We're broke, sportsfans.

Additionally, we need heavy investigation inside of our own borders to ferret out the many terror cells that are already here (and don't think for a minute that they don't exist).

Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Consider this;
You are riding in the backseat of a car driven by a relative. A Police officer turns on his lights to pull the car over. Instead your relative decides to run. You by being in that car will be charged with crimes also. You had nothing to do with the drivers actions, and most likely was scared half to death, but you are going to jail also. Why? Because the judge will tell you that by not reaching up and shutting the car off, you did nothing to stop the chase. (i know this first hand btw). SAME THING WITH MUSLIMS!!! By being part of a violent religion who's HIGHEST Leaders have declared war on the USA. Now if you want to continue being part of that, then suffer the results and stay the hell out of my Country. By your lack of action to stop it, you deserve to be banned from coming here.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:39 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If we handled people who are at war with us like we should, this would not be necessary.

We are at the point when I think we need to do something in this direction - along w/ deporting the rabble rousing imans. No military service for those with that ideology. I'm not worried about what they think right now. They have no problem banning Bibles - I don't have a problem removing the troublemakers.

Exactly right!!!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Consider this;
You are riding in the backseat of a car driven by a relative. A Police officer turns on his lights to pull the car over. Instead your relative decides to run. You by being in that car will be charged with crimes also. You had nothing to do with the drivers actions, and most likely was scared half to death, but you are going to jail also. Why? Because the judge will tell you that by not reaching up and shutting the car off, you did nothing to stop the chase. (i know this first hand btw). SAME THING WITH MUSLIMS!!! By being part of a violent religion who's HIGHEST Leaders have declared war on the USA. Now if you want to continue being part of that, then suffer the results and stay the hell out of my Country. By your lack of action to stop it, you deserve to be banned from coming here.
12GO, I know your intention of attacking xenophobic stupidity is a good one, but I'm sorry, it's a really degrading way to describe 1.5 billion Muslims, spread across every continent, to assume that "they" have any "highest leaders" at all. That sounds like a phrase the xenophobes themselves would come up with.

One crackpot Muslim death-sect out of that sea of 1.5 billion Muslims has "declared war on the USA."

There are 48 Muslim-majority countries in the world. Not one of them is at war with the USA.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Last time I checked the US is not at war with Islam. Even GW Bush stated the US is not at war with Islam.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 AM

757 posts, read 802,678 times
Default terrorists win when we give into the fear

Many people seem to fail to understand that the whole goal of terrorism is to inspire so much fear, that we abandon our principles and way of life in the name of fear. Don't let the terrorists win by giving into the fear. We as a nation are greater than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies