Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times

Advertisements

I often think about how illusive justice is in our legal system. I mean how can we expect justice from the people we entrust to enforce the laws, when quite often they use their power to circumvent the law of the people or they justify breaking the law as a means of enforcing the very laws they have been entrusted to keep? I understand the wisdom in not allowing incarcerated people not to vote. I even understand not allowing people who are but if u have done all your time, served all your sentence, u should be restored to full citizenship and that includes the privilege and the right to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:47 AM

341 posts, read 678,760 times
[quote=jtur88;11579438]
Quote:
If it were up to me, every person resident in the country would have an equal right to vote. Prisoners on death row can vote. Green card aliens can vote. Everybody. That's what democracy means. You'd have to set an age limit, so you don't have babies voting, but that's it.
That sounds great. But there is only one problem: The United States of America is not a democracy, it is a federal republic.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:49 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
Yes. If they can get drafted or join the military, why not?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
[quote=El Dakar;11594566]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

That sounds great. But there is only one problem: The United States of America is not a democracy, it is a federal republic.
You're toying with words. The federal republic is (allegedly) founded on democratic principles, which makes it a democracy. School children are taught that it is a democracy, and if it is not a democracy, we should all be informed to that effect so we don't keep on expecting the nation to behave like one.

Further, my point was hypothetical and subjunctive. I expressed the opinion that the USA ought to conduct itself like the democracy it says it is, and listen to the electoral wishes of all people who are subject to the shifting whims of our government.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:39 AM

341 posts, read 678,760 times
[quote=jtur88;11594716]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post

You're toying with words. The federal republic is (allegedly) founded on democratic principles, which makes it a democracy. School children are taught that it is a democracy, and if it is not a democracy, we should all be informed to that effect so we don't keep on expecting the nation to behave like one.

Further, my point was hypothetical and subjunctive. I expressed the opinion that the USA ought to conduct itself like the democracy it says it is, and listen to the electoral wishes of all people who are subject to the shifting whims of our government.
Technically you are right, the federal republic is a type of democracy. This country was not a democracy when it adopted the constitution because political power was concentrated among the wealthy elite, and only wealthy white male landowners could vote. Now, a majority of the population is eligible to vote. But this country will not be a true representative democracy until two things happen: every single adult person who resides in the country is able to participate in elections (as you previously stated); and the electoral college system is abolished in favor of direct popular vote for president.

So as the years have gone by, it can be said that the United States of America has gotten progressively more democratic.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:17 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I often think about how illusive justice is in our legal system. I mean how can we expect justice from the people we entrust to enforce the laws, when quite often they use their power to circumvent the law of the people or they justify breaking the law as a means of enforcing the very laws they have been entrusted to keep? I understand the wisdom in not allowing incarcerated people not to vote. I even understand not allowing people who are but if u have done all your time, served all your sentence, u should be restored to full citizenship and that includes the privilege and the right to vote.
Very well thought out. Nice job.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:40 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
During their incarceration and even their following probation or parole, no, I don't believe that felons should retain their right to vote. But after they have completed their sentence, including fines and parole and restitution, etc. then I think their voting rights should be reinstated. After all, the term for a felon who has completed is sentence is "paid his debt to society" is it not. Therefore, he should be granted all of society's previous rights.
(I add one caveat to this opinion: child molesters should NOT be granted their right to vote, because, after all, dead men can't vote, since they should all be hung in a public square after conviction.)

Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Is voting a privilege or a right
How could one say voting is a privilege? It wouldn't be a democracy if it was. Perhaps we should go back to poll taxes?
There is no reason a convicted felon, either during the prison term or after its finished, should not be able to vote.
If felons are such a sizable portion of the population that they are an influential voting block, then the society is not a functioning democracy anyway. The state has imprisoned such a large portion of the population that their is an abuse of power going on.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
During their incarceration and even their following probation or parole, no, I don't believe that felons should retain their right to vote. But after they have completed their sentence, including fines and parole and restitution, etc. then I think their voting rights should be reinstated. After all, the term for a felon who has completed is sentence is "paid his debt to society" is it not. Therefore, he should be granted all of society's previous rights.
(I add one caveat to this opinion: child molesters should NOT be granted their right to vote, because, after all, dead men can't vote, since they should all be hung in a public square after conviction.)
I agree that People that have a criminal record of violence against children, have all ready used up all their chances. There is no second chance to harm a Child. Or if they used a Gun in their prior crime, then they should be left to go unarmed from now on.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen
Is voting a privilege or a right
I don't know why, but from time to time it is necessary to explain the difference between a right and a privilege to the participants in the Great Debates forum. So here it is again.

A right can only be taken away by a legitimate process, which specifies and justifies the reason for the withdrawal of the right.

A privilege can be taken away arbitrarily by the people who grant the privilege, and no reason need be given.

Here's an example. If driving a car is a right, the state would have to proffer a legitimate and justifiable reason for denying you a driver's license. If driving a car is a privilege, anybody from the DMV clerk to a police officer can, like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi, refuse you your driver's license, and would not need to explain why.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-12-2009 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies