U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:55 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,570,736 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered why our government (US) canít make up its mind on some issues and move on to subjects of real importance. A law which would pass decisions not voted on within two years back to the people to approve or reject could solve that problem. It would remove the arguments tied to bills, which seem to hold up important decisions or are used to hold up decisions. A good example is abortion and all the wasted time our congress spends debating the same old issues year after year. If we put it before the people that could end all that wasted hot air once and for all. It would remove some of the issues our congress seems unable to solve, and it might bring them back into the real world where they could do their job instead of finding ways to stall votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 AM

23,349 posts, read 17,755,178 times
Term limits at all levels of government.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 AM

57,972 posts, read 29,583,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I dont think that would even solve the problem. I think the problem is that they spend so much darn time just finding work to do.

Take Congress to a part time staff, cut back on their pays, benefits etc, they will not become so motivated to simply find something to do..

Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 AM

6,865 posts, read 3,940,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont think that would even solve the problem. I think the problem is that they spend so much darn time just finding work to do.

Take Congress to a part time staff, cut back on their pays, benefits etc, they will not become so motivated to simply find something to do..
This is one of those times I can definately agree with you. We the people should be the one's to vote on their salary increases.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 PM

3,805 posts, read 1,990,102 times
We vote every 4 years for a President --

It would just stand to reason that voting for things like a pay raise and term limits for Congress should be voted on by us too -- every 4 years.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:29 PM

20,360 posts, read 7,519,036 times
Quote:
Probably not likely to see Congress do anything in that reguard, fox watching hen house and all. Actually do not know how that would be done. Constitutional amendment? Perhaps if the voters were to NEVER vote for any Sen or Rep who has held two terms? That would take a awful lot of "contempt" of Congress to get people to do that. Of course the way they are going, that contempt is growing. Hmmmm..

Old 11-11-2009, 12:42 PM

737 posts, read 687,505 times
Term limits is a bad idea

Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM

23,349 posts, read 17,755,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
That would take a awful lot of "contempt" of Congress to get people to do that.
You'd never get it done because everyone wants to vote out the guy in the other district. They don't want to vote out a Rep. or Senator with seniority because they know it's loss for them.

The standard cop out that I hear from any Congressman when this subject comes up is "I do have a term limit and the voters decide on that every X years".

On the other hand every poll I have ever seen regarding this issue overwhelmingly supported it. The people of this country want it so why don't we have it? If you ever get the chance to speak directly to a Congressman in public first ask them they would support something that is overwhelmingly supported by his/her constituents... Then ask them if they would support term limits.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM

19,178 posts, read 20,188,339 times
Term limits guarantee mediocrity. You may as well have term limits on Yankees' shortstop.

"We, the people" don't get to vote on anything other than our representatives. Then they go represent us. Not you. Us. That's the way those elitist founding fathers set it up, and they did so for very good reason.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:00 PM

5,463 posts, read 3,127,337 times
Quote:

you are so right, but congress will never pass that
I am at this point all for kicking them all out and start over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies