Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,841,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
yes but you still can't buy a house until the bankruptcy is cleared......in 7 years not next week. Also its hard to build credit when you cant get any.
If you just filed bankrupt you have no business trying to buy one that soon. Be responsible and get your affairs in order

The thing being though filing doesnt mean life is over for your credit and that you cant ever recover because you can

Its not hard get secured credit card and go from there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,764,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There is a difference between a moral obligation and a legal obligation. How is that so hard for you to understand?

I give money to help my community all the time. The federal government should not be involved in many of the social programs it is. Everyone should work (and give their own money) to solve the health care crisis, however the government should not be involved.

You are unbelievable. You will do anything to avoid putting real effort into problems! You want the governemnt to solve everything for you. If people like you would start taking pesonal responsibility for some of these problems instead of pawning it off on the government we (as a country) wouldn't be in the mess we are today.

have you not noticed how involved they are already?? Secondly read the posts. I have insurance! My wife is a Doctor! I run my own business ! Exactly what am I not being responsible for.

I don't personally have a problem, try reading before speaking.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:03 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,151,624 times
Quote:
here is the national cost per year:

Total Cost: $219.2 billion Direct Medical Costs: $ 89.0 billion (total of all health expenditures)
Indirect Morbidity Costs: $ 18.2 billion (cost of lost productivity due to illness)
Indirect Mortality Costs: $112.0 billion (cost of lost productivity due to premature death)
Or one could call it a job opportunity for someone else.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
You are wrong. I have a family member who filed bankruptcy and a year later they were able to buy a home and a new car! Not saying that I think that should have been able to do so, but that is just the facts that they had NO problem what so ever getting a new home and car only after 12mths of chapter 13

current laws do not exempt you from prior debt. debt collectors could foreclose the house for any equity. Maybe this happened 10 plus years ago.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Health is neither. It is a state of being, you are either healthy or unhealthy. Most often it is dependent upon how well you take care of yourself, though there are other conditions that can have adverse effects on one's health.

If you are talking about Health Care provided by doctors and nurses, it is likewise a part of neither group. It is a service provided by one individual (doctors, nurses, etc) for another individual (the patient). This service is contingent upon an agreement of the patient to pay the price that the is agreed upon. It is not a right in any sense of the word, because it requires the consent of the person providing the service.

To say that health care is a "right" is along the same veins as saying that farmers down south have a "right" to have their cotton picked for them. You do not have a "right" to a service, the only rights in America are individual rights, which only extend so far as they do not infringe upon the rights of another.

To say that a service is a "right" is to demonstrate a grave ignorance of the meaning of the word. You are not demanding a right, you are demanding freedom from responsibility.

as stated before please connect responsibility to genetic disease or a car accident.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
If you just filed bankrupt you have no business trying to buy one that soon. Be responsible and get your affairs in order

The thing being though filing doesnt mean life is over for your credit and that you cant ever recover because you can

Its not hard get secured credit card and go from there

never said life was over, credit cards are much harder to get now,

Also health bills are another leading cause of home foreclosure.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:14 AM

749 posts, read 946,620 times
Health Insurance is a privilage not a right

Old 11-13-2009, 11:17 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer222 View Post
I believe it is a no brainer and it is the right of every American citizen every human but we will not even go there) to have their health and the ability to be treated by doctors etc.

What do you all feel about that?
Health? How can that be a right? There is no way to determine a person's health. And anyone that smokes, or overeats, or does ANYTHING to negatively impact their health, has no room at all, to complain.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,469 times
Quote:
as stated before please connect responsibility to genetic disease or a car accident.
The second one is easy, a car accident happens due to someone's fault. Either someone was inattentive, drunk, speeding, gabbing on a phone. Once again, someone caused the accident.

Genetic disease is another matter. It is not the individual's "fault." But neither is it my burden as a taxpayer to take care of it. It isn't your duty either. You may feel a moral obligation to help the less fortunate (I know I do at times as well, as such I have a few charities I support) but as I've heard so many here say, YOU CANNOT LEGISLATE MORALITY.

Do you have any idea what constitutes a right or a liberty? What if there were no doctors? Would you then argue that you had a "right" to a nonexistent service? What if you were the only individual on the planet? What would your rights be then? No different than they are now, because rights are ours simply by being individuals, they are not granted by government, by other individuals, by corporations, or any other entity. They just are. If government has to "grant" it, it is not a right.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
there is a huge difference between someone being responsible and people being unable to obtain healthcare no matter what. Please tell me what responsibility has to do with someone who gets hit by drunk driver, someone who gets injured while working, someone with a genetic disease etc etc. where is the connection?
There is none. That is called the game of life, my friend. And there are NO guarantees.

What has happened in this country that people suddenly believe that they must be provided protection and treatment for all the woes of life? Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies