Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,581 times

Advertisements

The agenda is to ask questions and get people to think. Isn't that yours? I'm glad mine isn't hidden and that's it's plain and obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM

689 posts, read 742,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
The agenda is to ask questions and get people to think. Isn't that yours? I'm glad mine isn't hidden and that's it's plain and obvious.
Read my first post. I offered a possible solution. I didn't just try and make a point. I OFFERED A POSSIBLE SOLUTION. It appears you're just trying to make a point. Mine isn't hidden at all. READ. I was sincerely trying to do something. I actually don't think it's that bad of an idea either. Unless I'm reading wrong, it looks like you're trying to do a "In your face".

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
tindo80: excellent post.

Let me ask those of you who are against the public option. Would you decline Medicare for yourself? That is something the Democrats pushed for and you are against government-run health care, so you should stick to your principles and REFUSE medicare when you hit that age.
It was plainly obvious why you made your initial post and this last post verifies the purpose of your initial post. I don't believe in our tax money going to help those who put themselves in positions like not being able to work because of their drug or alcohol addicition. I do support our tax money going to help those who truly cannot help themselves because of conditions such as age and physical condition. My father-in-law receives government help. He's 84 and a veteran of WW2 and Korea. My wife receives disability because of her chronic pain due to degeneratative disc in her spine. Let's just say she's 4 feet 11 inches tall, about 120 lbs, and dimerol barely helps her pain on her bad days. On her better days she's able to get by with 7.5 Lortab and Flexeril (muscle spasms caused by the pinching of the nerves in her spine). Even the most hard core conservatives I talked to all agree on this point. The current plan on it's way to the Senate makes it so that within a few years, everyone must switch over to the government's plan and so good bye health insurance industry and hello federal government having total access to your health records,...except for the President and the Legislatures who've made themselves exempt from their own plan for the people of this country. If the plan is so good, then let them give up their health care and go onto the plan they have for the regular people. The doctors, nurses, and administrators of the hospital where I work is scared of the current plan because they see in it's writing that they will see fewer patients, have to go through the federal government for approval for necessary proceedures, and may result in a reduction in the number of hospitals, doctors, and nurses around the country due to a lack of funds to keep them running. Some of the high cost of healthcare also goes to new technology that helps to keep people alive. Say goodbye to innovations. Some of the reasons why medication cost is high is their constant research and development expenses. Feds cut cost, they cut out R&D.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 PM

689 posts, read 742,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It was plainly obvious why you made your initial post and this last post verifies the purpose of your initial post. I don't believe in our tax money going to help those who put themselves in positions like not being able to work because of their drug or alcohol addicition. I do support our tax money going to help those who truly cannot help themselves because of conditions such as age and physical condition. My father-in-law receives government help. He's 84 and a veteran of WW2 and Korea. My wife receives disability because of her chronic pain due to degeneratative disc in her spine. Let's just say she's 4 feet 11 inches tall, about 120 lbs, and dimerol barely helps her pain on her bad days. On her better days she's able to get by with 7.5 Lortab and Flexeril (muscle spasms caused by the pinching of the nerves in her spine). Even the most hard core conservatives I talked to all agree on this point. The current plan on it's way to the Senate makes it so that within a few years, everyone must switch over to the government's plan and so good bye health insurance industry and hello federal government having total access to your health records,...except for the President and the Legislatures who've made themselves exempt from their own plan for the people of this country. If the plan is so good, then let them give up their health care and go onto the plan they have for the regular people. The doctors, nurses, and administrators of the hospital where I work is scared of the current plan because they see in it's writing that they will see fewer patients, have to go through the federal government for approval for necessary proceedures, and may result in a reduction in the number of hospitals, doctors, and nurses around the country due to a lack of funds to keep them running. Some of the high cost of healthcare also goes to new technology that helps to keep people alive. Say goodbye to innovations. Some of the reasons why medication cost is high is their constant research and development expenses. Feds cut cost, they cut out R&D.
1st sentence in this...EXACTLY. I guess I was naive to assume that this person really wanted another answer besides the one they were wanting to hear.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Lack of health care killed 2,266 US veterans last year: study - Yahoo! News--

Entire article in this link. I posted most of the article, fyi.

I see why you didn't want to link to it.

"That's a group that's about 1.5 million people," said David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and co-founder of Physicians for a National Health Program who co-authored the study."

Old 11-11-2009, 08:13 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The number of US veterans who died in 2008 because they lacked health insurance was 14 times higher than the US military death toll in Afghanistan that year, according to a new study.

The analysis produced by two Harvard medical researchers estimates that 2,266 US military veterans under the age of 65 died in 2008 because they lacked health coverage and had reduced access to medical care.

That figure is more than 14 times higher than the 155 US troop deaths in Afghanistan in 2008, the study says.

Released as the United States commemorates fallen soldiers on Veterans Day, the study warns that even health care provided by the Veterans Health Administration (VA) leaves many veterans without coverage.

The analysis uses census data to isolate the number of US veterans who lack both private health coverage and care offered by the VA.

"That's a group that's about 1.5 million people," said David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and co-founder of Physicians for a National Health Program who co-authored the study.

"The uninsured have about a 40 percent higher risk of dying each year than otherwise comparable insured individuals," Himmelstein told AFP.

To those who are against the public option or health care reform, who think "the govt has no business in my health care" or "I like mine the way it is and just don't wanna share!" -- WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION? Do you think it's okay that you get to live, and others get to die?
I just don't get it. It's the government that provides health coverage through the VA, and also Tri-care health insurance for retired or separated military members who can afford it. Are you implying that you want the same government who can't take care of these veterans to provide health coverages to all Americans? Aren't you aware that the government can't even pay the bills for Medicare/AID?

By the way, I am a veteran.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:17 PM

I didn't know simply being uninsured caused death.

"Using their recently published findings in the American Journal of Public Health that show being uninsured raises an individual’s odds of dying by 40 percent (causing 44,798 deaths in the United States annually among those aged 17 to 64), they arrived at their estimate of 2,266 preventable deaths of non-elderly veterans in 2008. (See table.)"

It's a self-selecting group.

The people who put this together should be sued for statistical malpractice.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
HOly crap. This is already turning into a Democrat/Republican thing. Just answer the question already. What's your solution? Oh...and Holy Crap. I have to edit. It appears the OP has more of an agenda. See above.

How about we stop speading lies as a first step. From the article, it is clear that the number of veterans who allegedly died due to a lack of health insurance is not based on a cause and effect relationship. It is based on a collection of statistics that include the number of vets without insurance and the number of those who die. That the number who die is higher among the unisured group does not mean it was becasue they were uninsured. It just means more died from the uninsured group, and nothing else. Are alcoholic vets more likely to be unisured? Are vets who smoke more likely to be unisured? How many uninsured were murdered? How many uninsured died in auto accidents? How many uninsured jumped off a cliff?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:36 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
Read my first post. I offered a possible solution. I didn't just try and make a point. I OFFERED A POSSIBLE SOLUTION. It appears you're just trying to make a point. Mine isn't hidden at all. READ. I was sincerely trying to do something. I actually don't think it's that bad of an idea either. Unless I'm reading wrong, it looks like you're trying to do a "In your face".

I'm glad you did. I don't have any solution except for being for the public option. That is why I asked that question, to those who are against the public option because I'm very curious. I can make as many points as I please! I'm glad I am allowed to and that you can't bar me from it!

I'm glad you are so sincere and proactive. You can read whatever you want into this....I'm not offended whatsoever.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
It is an estimate. Repeat, an estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies