Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 02:21 AM

529 posts, read 1,892,729 times

Advertisements

There's an old saying that goes like this:

If you don't like what you're looking at... Don't look.
If you don't like what you are hearing.... Don't listen.

We all have the power to either "turn on" or "turn off"...... it's our choice, plain and simple.

The fact that one may not agree with the opinions of someone else certainly isn't a crime....

I don't necessarily have to agree with a certain view that might be expressed, but I'll still give that view a certain amount of validity.

I've gone through this thread over the past few days, and though I might not have subscribed to some of the views being expressed, I still gave good reputation points, yes, even to you Lindsay59....... surprise, surprise..... Although I might imagine your opinion somewhat skewed on occasion, I still gave you credit for your arguement....

Reputation points aren't really what these forums are about .... oh sure, they are fun little green things to play with, but that's about it.

But I'm going to ask the admin of these boards to turn mine off...

Getting a "red dot" is fine, my heart remains unshattered...... but getting a "red dot" with a comment that says "You are truly ignorant." is a bit of a stretch.

I've known some pretty cool gay folks in my lifetime..... College years in Oregon at Eugene brought me into contact with quite a few.....

But I recall making a statement early on in this thread:

>>> ... Gays, I've noticed, take it on the chin more often, and are not as emotionally equipped as, lets say, non gays... <<<

This comment above is not speculation, it stems from actually "knowing" gay folks, based on my own experiences in life.

And the insidious remark left right beside my only little "red dot" only backs up what I said in the statement above.

How can the gay community at large ever expect to be taken seriously when the members of that community can't buck up and take themselves seriously.

I don't mind being called ignorant..... doesn't bother me a bit.
What I do mind is the sneak and peak that goes on behind the scenes by someone who pretends that they need to be taken seriously.

I've even turned my PM's off, because if you've got something to say.... you can say it to me, in front of God, and those who would be gay...... I'm sure your Gay counterparts and the rest of us would be keenly interested in what it is you truly have to say.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:49 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
There's an old saying that goes like this:

If you don't like what you're looking at... Don't look.
If you don't like what you are hearing.... Don't listen.

We all have the power to either "turn on" or "turn off"...... it's our choice, plain and simple.

The fact that one may not agree with the opinions of someone else certainly isn't a crime....

I don't necessarily have to agree with a certain view that might be expressed, but I'll still give that view a certain amount of validity.

I've gone through this thread over the past few days, and though I might not have subscribed to some of the views being expressed, I still gave good reputation points, yes, even to you Lindsay59....... surprise, surprise..... Although I might imagine your opinion somewhat skewed on occasion, I still gave you credit for your arguement....

Reputation points aren't really what these forums are about .... oh sure, they are fun little green things to play with, but that's about it.

But I'm going to ask the admin of these boards to turn mine off...

Getting a "red dot" is fine, my heart remains unshattered...... but getting a "red dot" with a comment that says "You are truly ignorant." is a bit of a stretch.

I've known some pretty cool gay folks in my lifetime..... College years in Oregon at Eugene brought me into contact with quite a few.....

But I recall making a statement early on in this thread:

>>> ... Gays, I've noticed, take it on the chin more often, and are not as emotionally equipped as, lets say, non gays... <<<

This comment above is not speculation, it stems from actually "knowing" gay folks, based on my own experiences in life.

And the insidious remark left right beside my only little "red dot" only backs up what I said in the statement above.

How can the gay community at large ever expect to be taken seriously when the members of that community can't buck up and take themselves seriously.

I don't mind being called ignorant..... doesn't bother me a bit.
What I do mind is the sneak and peak that goes on behind the scenes by someone who pretends that they need to be taken seriously.

I've even turned my PM's off, because if you've got something to say.... you can say it to me, in front of God, and those who would be gay...... I'm sure your Gay counterparts and the rest of us would be keenly interested in what it is you truly have to say.
Totally off-topic, but I'm a former Duck too! (Finished my degree at a different school, but I started at UO)

Back to the topic, I think you're absolutely right about the rep points... I hardly ever give out "red marks", as much as I'm itching to sometimes, because I remind myself this is an exchange of opinions. If somebody's remark is truly offensive or inappropriate, I'll usually just flag it for the moderators. But anyway, I appreciate what you're saying, and always try to respect a good retort - regardless of whether I agree with it or not. Btw, can you really have rep points turned off? I had no idea!

Finally, I do have to say something about this comment - "How can the gay community at large ever expect to be taken seriously when the members of that community can't buck up and take themselves seriously. "
In my observations, the reason some gay people are "sensitive" has mostly to do with the way they've been treated. Think about the kid in school who always got picked on, and how sensitive he/she became. When you're constantly defending yourself, it does make one defensive... just something to consider.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Oh please, this reeks of ignorant macho bull......

We DO take ourselves very seriously. Gay people form unions, have jobs, form political organizations, contribute to charities, raise children, and call closed-minded homophobes on their sh**!

I'm going to go out on a limb and suppose what you're talking about (you're really rather vague) is that you dislike "Queens." Darn, too bad the whole world doesn't judge young women by sl**s like Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan!

As for "gays" not being as emotionally equipped as "straights," as though we can lump everyone into this false dichotomy that not only alienates bisexuals but also reinforces tired old orientation stereotypes, I'm speechless. This is something I've never witnessed, can't argue on because it seems not to exist, and likely is the result of your viewing the world through a filter.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:38 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay59 View Post
I think some Christians on here are missing the point, and making me explain myself over and over.

But to use that logic to limit their rights? NOT FINE. I'm not even a proponent for gay marriage anymore...but I am a proponent for civil unions - unions which allow gays equal tax, health, and beneficiary benefits awarded to married heterosexuals.

Your religious beliefs are something that have no place within government.
Lindsay no one is making you explain yourself over and over except you!
And ironically it is you that are missing the point. Just by this thread title it is clear. . . Just because one believes homosexuality is a sin and against gay marriage does not mean we are ignorant or as you so crudely put it "homophobes."

You are assuming much for you have no idea how we Christians treat homosexuals in our daily lives at our work and community. You seem angry at the world.

Our country was based on judeo christian principles and I believe until you accept this you are going to continue to be unhappy in the U.S.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Our country was based on judeo christian principles and I believe until you accept this you are going to continue to be unhappy in the U.S.

Oh, wow, this is a whole other post topic!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:06 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
Default Heck no!

I am who I am...I don't play games and that would be against the rules too.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:21 AM

529 posts, read 1,892,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Totally off-topic, but I'm a former Duck too! (Finished my degree at a different school, but I started at UO)

Back to the topic, I think you're absolutely right about the rep points... I hardly ever give out "red marks", as much as I'm itching to sometimes, because I remind myself this is an exchange of opinions. If somebody's remark is truly offensive or inappropriate, I'll usually just flag it for the moderators. But anyway, I appreciate what you're saying, and always try to respect a good retort - regardless of whether I agree with it or not. Btw, can you really have rep points turned off? I had no idea!

Finally, I do have to say something about this comment - "How can the gay community at large ever expect to be taken seriously when the members of that community can't buck up and take themselves seriously. "
In my observations, the reason some gay people are "sensitive" has mostly to do with the way they've been treated. Think about the kid in school who always got picked on, and how sensitive he/she became. When you're constantly defending yourself, it does make one defensive... just something to consider.
Hey Hey GO DUCKS

I, and a whole ton of other folks knows what happens when the kids at school get ticked off for being picked on. This is why we have metal detectors in many of the schools.

I've only heard of how gays have been treated.... never seen it first hand.
I never saw them mistreated in Eugene, and we have a person that lives just doors down that's gay, and I've never seen anyone mistreat her.

A person who might be gay, could say that they find my lifestyle "totally unacceptable"...... just like I might find the gay lifestyle unacceptable.... This is no cause for name calling or hurt feelings....... These are only opinions, or, views expressed by an individual.

I can just as easily say the same thing about the Christian community:

>>> ... "How can the Christian community at large ever expect to be taken seriously when the members of that community can't buck up and take themselves seriously"... <<<

I've seen plenty of defensive behaviour exist on both sides of the fence.... People who are ill prepared for life in general, or who are uncertain of exactly where they might stand on any given issue, coming into an open forum in an attempt to stir up the pot ..... all for the sake of agenda..... should have their heads examined.

If you've got an agenda... fine..... have it. But keep in mind, when a person asks for an opinion, he or she better be ready to hear some.... opinions are like a-holes.... everybody has one.

The way that the little "red dot" was represented, in this case, tells me, that there are some individuals here that are not at all prepared to participate in discussions such as these.... They are not "emotionaly equipped" to handle it. They are not yet ready to truly promote their cause or their lifestyle.

I don't know if the admins can turn off the little green dots or not... they might be a part of the forum scripting that cannot be removed, I don't know.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:01 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Yeah, the Commerce Clause...straight out of the Bible. The Electoral College too. And proportional representation in one chamber of the legislature but not the other. I'm sure that's all in red-words somewhere in my KJV as well. It's truly amazing how presumptive people can sometimes be...

Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 AM

959 posts, read 2,361,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Actually, as it stands today, they do NOT get all the rights & benefits of marriage... some rights, yes, but not an equal amount. And it also depends on what state you're in, since some allow less than others - luckily California (my state) gives very good benefits to same-sex partners, but it's still not 100% equal.
Why should the benefits be 100% the same? The union is different, in and of itself, than a heterosexual union.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Why shouldn't the benefits be the same?

What constitutes union and in what way(s) would it differ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Why should the benefits be 100% the same? The union is different, in and of itself, than a heterosexual union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies