Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
Fearmongering 101...Dobbs doesn't work for CNN and John Boehner is a fool with NO ideas. 3+ minutes of my life gone for nothing.

Still trying to sell those "new ideas"?

The only thing new about the Democrat's ideas is that you don't know they have failed miserably in the past.

When not passing the stimulus won't throw us into a cycle of economic collapse or not passing cap and trade won't render the Earth uninhabitable with a runaway greenhouse effect, get back to me about fearmongering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 06:19 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
quote:
Immigration advocates and their allies in Congress believe there is a window for immigration reform to pass early next year, before midterm elections complicate the political calculus.

"The room for doing this is very tight," Gutierrez said earlier this month on the Spanish-language Univision network's political talk program, "Al Punto." "We have to do it in February or early March of next year."

i don't think obama would be stupid enough to even touch this issue, with rising unemployment and falling wages/hours, before the next election, but you never know......

Old 11-13-2009, 07:51 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
If they do so without doing anything for legal aliens I guess there might be a lawsuit waiting...Some people are here for 10 yrs or longer on E2 visa's or other visa's and have no chance to obtain a GC under their visa and than a illegal comes around and get's the opportunity ....that is wrong...

Under the E2 visa the person has to have their own business and provide jobs to American citizens...if the E2 visa holder retires due to age or whatever reason they have to leave the country right away...Even if they had their business for 25 yrs and never have been back in their native country they still have to leave right away to a country where they left so long ago....that is wrong!

Old 11-13-2009, 08:02 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Why are you posting a news report from 2007 as if its breaking news from 2009? If you look at the bottom of the video, there are breaking news. Listed is an agreement between Consolidated Edison and American Superconductor

Article: Attack-Proof Power Line to Be Installed Under NY; Consolidated Edison and American Superconductor Corporation agree to put a superconducting power line under midtown New York that should lead to a sturdier power grid able to withstand extrem

LMAO. Hilarious the length you all will go on this fear mongering. Page out of FAUX news handbook. LMAO
I wish more people would try and do a bit more sourcing and research before posting stuff. I have not seen the video from the OP, but good observations blackandproud.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think most conservatives were pretty disappointed by Bush on many fronts.
Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan. The guy was re-elected, so some conservatives must have been willing to give him a shot.

Quote:
I don't think you could define any of those folks listed as "Republican standard bearers" especially Bush at that point in his Presidency.
The presidential candidate is not the standard bearer? I am sorry, that makes no sense. There may have been a sizable minority unhappy with McCain, but you can't tell me that the candidate coming out of a party convention isn't a proper representative for the party.

I can see your point w. Bush. His move on this legislation was likely an attempt to sway a voter block for the 2008 election. So I guess it boils down to what constitutes a "Republican". If you use some sort of Platonic ideal as your yardstick, then everybody will fall short. I am more of an empiricist: What the Republican Party does and says defines what counts as Republican. I'm sure you're not denying that those are very senior and high-profile Republicans?

Quote:
Clearly the party faithful were less than enchanted by Mccain, many stayed home rather than vote for him.
Definitions again. If they're not voting for their party's candidate, are they party faithful?

Quote:
In any event look up Democrats and immigration reform and they were all over that bill in 2007 as they are today. To deny that this is a Dem signature issue is to deny reality.
You make the argument somehat more forcefully than I would've done, but fair enough. Just don't try to act as if the Republicans aren't in on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies