Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
And fat people then go to hell? Oh ok. If you go by the bible, no one is going to heaven! No one!
Come on Pgh surely you understood my point. Not that fat people are going to hell as you state. But that even though humans may have a tendency to exhibit certain behavior doesn't mean that we can't control our urges. Whether to over eat or to engage in homosexuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Well I thought you already knew I was a believer.
PHM you know there are differences in all of us. Some people are more prone to obesity. They process insulin differently etc. But they still have a choice to overeat. It may seem unfair that some can eat a lot and stay trim and others gain just by looking at something fattening.

Does this mean they have no choice? Of course not. Many people with weight problems control it through diet and exercise and yes, the dreaded word will-power. Even prayer.
Yes. I knew you were a believer, I just didn't know if you followed the entire book literally. Some Christians don't.

Are you admitting that there is a brain difference between heteros and homosexuals with your analogy of obesity caused by a abnormal function of insulin? There is an obesity gene. So can there also be a gay gene?

BTW, you're not a simple-minded cavedweller. I like "conservative diva" better

Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Right, except homosexuality is as much an urge as heterosexuality is - namely, the urge to engage in sex.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Yes. I knew you were a believer, I just didn't know if you followed the entire book literally. Some Christians don't.

Are you admitting that there is a brain difference between heteros and homosexuals with your analogy of obesity caused by a abnormal function of insulin? There is an obesity gene. So can there also be a gay gene?

BTW, you're not a simple-minded cavedweller. I like "conservative diva" better
ha ha, maybe I will use that one tomorrow. But I don't want people to think that I think I'm a "diva!"

Well, I don't know for sure if there is a difference in the brains of homos vs heteros. I am open to the possibility. But we still as humans have control of our urges. I as a female have a different brain chemistry than you. . I probably like chocolate better than you but I still have control over how much I injest. If I got fat I wouldn't blame it on God and say "Oh I was born this way."

Old 05-15-2007, 05:58 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
ha ha, maybe I will use that one tomorrow. But I don't want people to think that I think I'm a "diva!"
Who cares what they think.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Just to close this out, since the topic seems to have wandered off somewhere, I want to say this.

I had no knowledge of the debate over soy products until I opened this thread. I have no dog in this hunt.

While I don't think for a second that eating soy will make a man gay, (a ridiculous idea if I EVER heard one), I do believe that elevated levels of estrogen in the diets of pregnant women and infants can be harmful to said infant. Hormones are VERY powerful things,(ask ANY woman with PMS) and in early childhood development play a crucial role. It makes sense to think that there could be a danger here, unreported by the people who make the money off of the product. (I'd go into the 'New World Order' here, and their desire to lower world population by 80%, but that's a whole 'nuther thread )

The fact is, there are reports of congenital birth defects in baby boys that seem to correspond to these increased estrogen levels. I forget the medical term right now because I forgot to bookmark the page I found it on, but it is described as the urethral opening manifesting along the bottom of the penis as opposed to it's end. There is also a corollary increase in the instance of testes failing to drop, as well as penile under-development. High levels of estrogen intake also seem to have an effect on the instances of breast tissue growth in male adolescents. In girls, the effects seem to be limited to early pubescence, with older women being more, not less, susceptible to certain types of breast cancer.

There is one concern about soy products that seems to span the population, and that is the effect on the thyroid. Again, I didn't bookmark all the pages I read, but there is an issue with thyroid suppression that needs further study.

In closing, it is incumbent on you to investigate this issue for yourselves, because whether you want to believe it or not, the government is NOT in the business of looking out for you, and couldn't care less about YOUR survival.

You can be replaced by a compliant, low-paid serf from somewhere else in the world.

Wake up, folks!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:

Well, I don't know for sure if there is a difference in the brains of homos vs heteros. I am open to the possibility. But we still as humans have control of our urges. I as a female have a different brain chemistry than you. . I probably like chocolate better than you but I still have control over how much I injest. If I got fat I wouldn't blame it on God and say "Oh I was born this way."
But if they did, wouldn't that be their right? And we would hopefully refrain from calling them names, or shunning them from society. I've struggled with my weight since childhood, so totally get your comparison here... I'm now at a healthy weight, but when I was overeating, not exercising, and weighed almost 250 lbs., I still wouldn't appreciate being called a pig. It was my choice (though not always a conscious one) to not fight my genetics & urges, but that was my RIGHT too.

Can't people say "I am who I am", and be left alone? Just imagine trying to fight your urge to have sex, and think about what a miserable life chastity would be - unless you're a priest or nun, but I guess some of them aren't so happy either.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But if they did, wouldn't that be their right? And we would hopefully refrain from calling them names, or shunning them from society. I've struggled with my weight since childhood, so totally get your comparison here... I'm now at a healthy weight, but when I was overeating, not exercising, and weighed almost 250 lbs., I still wouldn't appreciate being called a pig. It was my choice (though not always a conscious one) to not fight my genetics & urges, but that was my RIGHT too.

Can't people say "I am who I am", and be left alone? Just imagine trying to fight your urge to have sex, and think about what a miserable life chastity would be - unless you're a priest or nun, but I guess some of them aren't so happy either.
Nobody is saying that it is OK to name call or shun them from society. . . There is a difference between believing it is immoral and treating them disrespectfully.
Of course every human being wants to be treated with respect and dignity. And you are evidentally an example of overcoming a tendancy to gain weight, and using self-control and will power.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Just to close this out, since the topic seems to have wandered off somewhere, I want to say this.

I had no knowledge of the debate over soy products until I opened this thread. I have no dog in this hunt.

While I don't think for a second that eating soy will make a man gay, (a ridiculous idea if I EVER heard one), I do believe that elevated levels of estrogen in the diets of pregnant women and infants can be harmful to said infant. Hormones are VERY powerful things,(ask ANY woman with PMS) and in early childhood development play a crucial role. It makes sense to think that there could be a danger here, unreported by the people who make the money off of the product. (I'd go into the 'New World Order' here, and their desire to lower world population by 80%, but that's a whole 'nuther thread )

The fact is, there are reports of congenital birth defects in baby boys that seem to correspond to these increased estrogen levels. I forget the medical term right now because I forgot to bookmark the page I found it on, but it is described as the urethral opening manifesting along the bottom of the penis as opposed to it's end. There is also a corollary increase in the instance of testes failing to drop, as well as penile under-development. High levels of estrogen intake also seem to have an effect on the instances of breast tissue growth in male adolescents. In girls, the effects seem to be limited to early pubescence, with older women being more, not less, susceptible to certain types of breast cancer.

There is one concern about soy products that seems to span the population, and that is the effect on the thyroid. Again, I didn't bookmark all the pages I read, but there is an issue with thyroid suppression that needs further study.

In closing, it is incumbent on you to investigate this issue for yourselves, because whether you want to believe it or not, the government is NOT in the business of looking out for you, and couldn't care less about YOUR survival.

You can be replaced by a compliant, low-paid serf from somewhere else in the world.

Wake up, folks!
You know, I had actually forgotten the original topic... so I apologize for adding to the wandering, LOL. I appreciate what you're saying above, and do agree it's something to consider. I haven't personally researched this, and probably won't, since I absolutely hate soy products. But I also think it can't hurt in small doses (like with nutrasweet & other "harmful" products)... therefore, as long as somebody doesn't make it a diet staple, I'd assume it can't be too dangerous. If the government really does care about us, I hope they'd pull something that damaging from the market - notice I said HOPE, since I'm not so sure they would.

I also think you should consider what I said earlier, about my sister being allergic to milk since birth... at least at that time (1974), there was no alternative but soy, and she turned out just fine! In fact, she was a very late bloomer, much to her dismay.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Nobody is saying that it is OK to name call or shun them from society. . . There is a difference between believing it is immoral and treating them disrespectfully.
Of course every human being wants to be treated with respect and dignity. And you are evidentally an example of overcoming a tendancy to gain weight, and using self-control and will power.
She says as I down a huge bowl of Pad Thai... Seriously, I understand what you're saying, but some people are "shunning them from society". So while you might show respect, there are still MANY people who don't - and that's what I'm referring to. Oh, and it's a daily struggle to continue fighting my weight, and I'd never call myself "cured". I will always be a fat girl inside, regardless of how I appear on the outside!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies