Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:13 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Most of the world is not Christian and aren't we told by the left that we are not a Christian country so who really cares what Christians think?

There is a difference between a christian country and a country predominantly made up of christians. The question was how would Jesus stand on the issue. Since you don't care, there is no point in you writing anything else.

Even with people who are not Christians, Jesus' teachings are well respected...even among the muslims. Although the Muslim religion does not believe Jesus to be the son of God, they do believe that he was a great man and a prophet. Many secularist and humanist hold his teachings as having great value.

With the exception of Judaism which finds his teachings offensive, even those who don't believe he is a son of God, see the value of his teachings of morals.

The relevancy to how Jesus would look at a moral issue certainly should be important to Christians and to humanist as well. I don't understand Shorebaby's disdain for Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 10:21 PM

2,317 posts, read 2,551,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Jesus was not a politician. The Apostles initially misinterpreted Jesus' role and felt as though he WOULD be a political leader and thier association with him would lead to thier own rise in political power. They were suprised to learn that the messiah was not a political leader and that thier "power" would be in thier salvation not on this earth, but after mortal death. It appears they eventually came around to this notion and embraced it, as Christians do today. For those non-Christians- whatever floats your boat is okay, it just works for me.

Of course his message is charity to all and consideration to the suffering. That is what I thought medicare and medicaid were all about (we already have those systems). Two groups that really need help are those with pre-existing conditions and those who are working(or have lost thier job) and still have assets yet are unable to afford healthcare.

Solution- roll them into medicare and allow an infinite COBRA time period. I agree that no one should have to suffer or lack medical treatment in a humane society. It is just a matter of how to accomplish that task in a simple, relatively cheap manner.
Well said -- that is exactly right. And figuring out how to accomplish that is no small matter. I just wish we (Americans) could try to come together to seek ways to help each other and not tear down each other. I think we can, as I said in an earlier post here and on other threads, I think we should be able to agree to disagree. It's so easy on these boards to become hostile and even attack the beliefs of others because we all feel anonymous. But it's also a very good gauge of how people really think --- and how we behave when we think no one is watching.
It all comes down, I think, to trying to find a way for all of us to have some of the most fundamental underpinnings to allow us to reach for our dreams and hopes, whatever they may be. There are countries who have accomplished these basic things, and I just wish that we could here. There is SO much money and resources that I wish it were spread around more.
Also, regarding Jesus, I agree -- he was NOT political. His focus was on more important things, those thoughts, words and deeds which come from the heart of man.
Thank you for this post - very thoughtful.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,771,120 times
Regardless of your opinion you gotta admit its pretty funny.

Every time I see this I laugh.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 PM

400 posts, read 466,181 times
i do see the irony, but apparently other people can't see it. very sad

Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,832,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
Dude. the Bible is a LIVING document...

There have been many great posts on here already. I suggest you read them all.

The Bible said not to steal. Never said to take from the rich and give to the poor.

The Bible said to give to others, it did not say to force others to give. Because forcing something from someone is stealing..... DUH
It might be a living document to you but to many it is just a book written by man. It has lots of great stories with great examples. To have a thread on what Jesus might have thought about a UHC is pushing it a bit though. Maybe we should have a thread asking what Jesus would have thought of Flying to the moon or using nuclear bombs or even what would the Founding Fathers have thought about a UHC and would the Constitution have been completely different if healthcare had been as advanced as it is today, when it was written.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:21 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,268,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I think this sums it up.

Jesus said the poor will always be with us.
He said those that wanted to be his apostles would have to give EVERYTHING up in order to follow him.
That is the life the people in religious services choose.

Distribution of wealth through the government that would be enhanced with socialized medicine would create more poor, would destroy jobs, end many businesses and retire a lot of doctors.

Remember THOU SHALL NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S GOODS.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Jesus said the poor will always be with us.
He said those that wanted to be his apostles would have to give EVERYTHING up in order to follow him.
That is the life the people in religious services choose.

Distribution of wealth through the government that would be enhanced with socialized medicine would create more poor, would destroy jobs, end many businesses and retire a lot of doctors.

Remember THOU SHALL NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S GOODS.
Forget Jesus...for christ sake, he's gone, he's dead..

The only way for this to work is for people like you to realize that if you have a public health care system that deviates away from private sector healthcare you will actually have a cheaper system. The system you have now is all profit driven, private hospitalisation, only concerned about the bottom line, return to shareholders.

Do you care about the average american who can not afford this type of coverage? I've hear'd that this is at least 800 to 1000 dollars a month per family. Is this true? this is ridiculous.

How could a low income family in the US afford this? Obviously, most don't go to the doctor. This is crazy by many standards of the world. If you are against public health care in the US, you must be one of the fortunate people who is provided health care through your job, or wealthy enough to provide your own healthcare.

So, at what wage do you have to make to have health care?

Old 11-16-2009, 01:12 AM

805 posts, read 1,507,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ahh no, please provide something resembling evidence.

So if I gave you the evidence, which was an article published in one of 2008's Better Homes and Gardens magazine, what would you say?

What would be your opinion of Cindy McCain encouraging people to help the unfortunate in foreign countries, rather than in this country?

Is she not aware there are people who aren't doing too well in her own backyard?

Old 11-16-2009, 01:39 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,268,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
Forget Jesus...for christ sake, he's gone, he's dead..

The only way for this to work is for people like you to realize that if you have a public health care system that deviates away from private sector healthcare you will actually have a cheaper system. The system you have now is all profit driven, private hospitalisation, only concerned about the bottom line, return to shareholders.

Do you care about the average american who can not afford this type of coverage? I've hear'd that this is at least 800 to 1000 dollars a month per family. Is this true? this is ridiculous.

How could a low income family in the US afford this? Obviously, most don't go to the doctor. This is crazy by many standards of the world. If you are against public health care in the US, you must be one of the fortunate people who is provided health care through your job, or wealthy enough to provide your own healthcare.

So, at what wage do you have to make to have health care?
False premise.

The public option taxes us a lot more, then uses that money to undercut private insurance companies so everyone would be forced into socialized medicine.
After government forces private insurers out of business, the cost of medicine will hit the roof even more, and with DMV level of care... Good luck, how's that hope and change going for you?

Do far President Obama is on course to be our worst President ever.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
False premise.

The public option taxes us a lot more, then uses that money to undercut private insurance companies so everyone would be forced into socialized medicine.
After government forces private insurers out of business, the cost of medicine will hit the roof even more, and with DMV level of care... Good luck, how's that hope and change going for you?

Do far President Obama is on course to be our worst President ever.
Who controls private medical in the US now? Do you think it is already the highest cost in the world aready? Why would you think if left alone they (private health care industry) would get cheaper? They have to pay a dividend to their share holders. Do you think these private health company's want to enable all people to come to their hospitals, or their doctors. Only with top notch medical coverage are these people allowed. How good do you feel about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies