Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You mean he should have just given a curt nod and a "How you doin"? Wow, I wouldnt have. This is the Emperor, not some kinda Prime Minister or the head of Sony.

I think he was right and good to go the whole way, and I dont think it's some sort of earth-shattering ka-boom.
And he is the president of the United States, we have our own protocols and not bowing is one of them. It shows submission and the leader of the free world is submissive to none as we are a free people. It seems our people have forgotten this which explains why there are so many willing to place themselves into bondage through submissive policies to the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We don't have any customs in America where we display subservience to another person, we don't bend knees and kiss rings here either.

Where did the custom come from of a POTUS playing kissy-face with state sponsors of terror? Is it a NeoConfused custom to overlook that while whining about a POTUS's observation of local custom?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
[quote=burdell;11646707]
Quote:
The ONLY thing this is about is the NeoConfuseds' obsession with bashing Obama 24/7 with NO regard to actual issues.
The ONLY thing this is about is the dims defending every stupid this this man does as if it is inspired by god, and never commenting on the actual issues.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post

The ONLY thing this is about is the dims defending every stupid this this man does as if it is inspired by god, and never commenting on the actual issues.

Here's a clue, observing local custom/tradition IS NOT an issue, you can resume mindless whining now

Last edited by burdell; 11-16-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Where did the custom come from of a POTUS playing kissy-face with state sponsors of terror? Is it a NeoConfused custom to overlook that while whining about a POTUS's observation of local custom?
Is it a dims custom to whine about any opinion that does not agree with their own?

Oh, thats right, it is.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 AM

[quote=burdell;11647725]
Quote:

Here's a clue, observing local custom/tradition IS NOT an issue, you can resume mindless whining now
Here is a hint for you: as has been stated many times before (you should actually try reading posts before you attack them ) it is not a tradition for Americans to bow to anyone. If this is not an issue, as you continually try to insist, why are you so bothered by people opposing it? Because your lead dim did it, or because those opposing it did not get your permission to post?

Speaking of mindless whining, please continue.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Is it a dims custom to whine about any opinion that does not agree with their own?

Oh, thats right, it is.

Opinions
are no problem, it's the baseless whining put forth as fact, such as the drivel being put out about bowing, as if there are hard & fast rules carved in stone, I object to.

So, please do post a credible link to those rules or we'll just continue to file all the blather under baseless, inane whining.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Maybe you should read what you posted, doesn't seem like he was in opposition to any of it. The article omits a deeper bow is also commonly given as a sign of respect to someone of greater age.
You conveniently left out the "to apologize" part. Of course he's been doing that now for nearly 10 months.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:37 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
So, are you an equal opportunity whiner? Did you express the same indignity when Reagan visited a German military cemetery (something I agreed with) to honor their dead?

By your logic every Japanese car in the US should be considered a slap in the face of WW II vets, right? Wonder how many are driving one?

The world moves on, try and keep up.
I wasn't alive back during WW2, but I can imagine that the ones who did fight the Japanese wouldn't be impressed with what Obama did.

As for the world moving on, when you stop bringing up Bush for everything, then we'll say your keeping up too.

And, No, I didn't agree with Reagan doint that, so I guess I'm not an equal opportunity whiner, I hold my leaders to pretty high standards, which obviously you do not.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Bowing is not only done to apologize - at my company we were instructed on this for when we met with Japanese clients - it is done as a form of respect and is similar to a handshake in their culture.

There is no set in stone American "tradition" of not "bowing", and if there IS, I am glad Obama broke it. Why should we not be mindful of the culture of other world leaders? Why do we have to act like we're better than everyone else?

You're basically saying AMERICANS BOW TO NO ONE! Why? Why should we not observe a cultural tradition?

God forbid the rest of the World sees us as actually showing respect to others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies