Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: left or right
left 69 54.76%
right 57 45.24%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:19 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Even though I'm generally left, I feel this forum attracts more RWs. Either that or they're just way more vocal. Some of them start a thread 3-4 times a week, if not more.
I agree that it seems as though the forum attracts more on the right, and it seems that way because they are way more vocal. Just as the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I think the overall impression that the political forum is more right than left is based on the level of noise and the corresponding attention it generates - the rabid left does not have nearly as many members as the rabid right, nor do they post as much or as virulently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:37 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Left for sure.

But, many of those left wingers really want to be right wingers ----

Old 11-16-2009, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I, as one of the Left wing on this forum, consider myself out numbered by the Right wing. IMHO most of there people are politically and economically delusional and reading their post give me insight into their fantasies. Most RW’s seem to concentrate on the trivia (genuflecting for instance) instead of the major problem of actually providing equal opportunity for all instead of great opportunity for a few and a bleak existence for the many. Thus is usually interesting but sometimes annoyingly repetitious.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
People make the claim that this forum is more left/right. I know this poll won't answer this for sure, but I am just curious. Do you identify more with left wing policies or right wing policies? This isn't democrat or republican but general principles.
You should have put at least one more option on your poll - somewhere in the middle. Because I truly cannot say I identify with either 'side'. With me it really does depend on the issue. I'm pro gay rights, but I'm also pro gun rights. I'm pro-choice on abortion and completely torn on the death penalty. I voted for Obama, but I don't always agree with his actions. (I didn't vote EVER for GWB because I didn't agree with 90% of the things he claimed to be for.) My religious beliefs are strong, though I do not agree with those who think those beliefs should be made law or should have anything whatsoever to do with the laws of this nation. (marriage, prayer in schools, etc.) With all issues I look for the facts and make up my own mind whether making a law one way or the other is good or bad for the nation. I most definitely do not ever make up my mind on any issue based on who brought up the issue.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 11-16-2009 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: small spelling error

Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Even though I'm generally left, I feel this forum attracts more RWs. Either that or they're just way more vocal. Some of them start a thread 3-4 times a week, if not more.
I would say that it's that the RWers here are much more 'vocal'.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm a Canadian liberal Conservative. Just about right in the middle like most Canadians.
Did you know that in reality you can not compare liberals to either left or right because the definition of Liberalism has to do with a free political system and the respect and fostering of universal human rights. We had a great Liberal PM here in Canada and in his 18 years of leading this country his political slogan defined liberalism."Towards a just society". Our last Liberal PM managed to run the country in such a conservative way that there was a budget surplus for 12 years in a row. Did this detract from his liberalism? No it did not. What the American right demonizes as liberal is in no way liberal but statism. Big big government. Over government, repressive government. But Yanks always like those demons they imagine to tilt at.

With all due respect, comparing Canada to the US is like comparing a BB to a Bowling ball. One is obviously much bigger than the other and they're both made of very different raw materials. You live in Ontario. It's probably the most diverse part of Canada but compared to just about any part of the US it's homogeneous. Both countries have entirely different dynamics and each has entirely different problems. I like Canada for the most part and the system that works well there simply wouldn't in the US. The state I live in (1 of 50 and not including US holdings and territories) has more people than your entire nation. I'm not being disrespectful but simply pointing out the incongruities of your comparison.

As I read the poll, it's about CD users and not a comparison of the US vs. Canada.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:43 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If I had to guess, I'd guess that there are more who post here who lean right, but that could very well be just because I personally don't lean right, and so I tend to notice more the views espoused that are contradictory with mine. I might just be focusing more on those, it might not mean that there are more people espousing them. It also might mean that they post more about their political views, and the people who lean left post more on other issues. Hard to say.
Yes, it's funny. I lean right for the most part and I thought the same in reverse (that there are more left leaners, but maybe that's just cuz they are more vocal!) I think you nailed it in that we may just notice more the views that are not in agreement with our own.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
The left thinks they are outnumbered by the right and that the right posts more and more virulently.

The right thinks they are outnumbered by the left and that the left is more insulting.

Perception is everything. <shrug>

Personally, I think it's about 50-50, even though I am a conservative.

(I didn't vote.)

Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I guess I'm left, I used to be right, but right is a lot righter than right used to be.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
The poll is useless. It includes two conflicting sets of instructions. The thread title asks whether the reader thinks there are more left or right posters. Then the OP asks whether the reader him- or herself is left or right. Not particularly well thought out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies