Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I didn't say wealth (aka net worth) is a "gain".

I said wealth can go up if a stock in your portfolio "gains" value.

And again, you are referring to IRS definition of "gain" (i.e. "capital gain"), I am referring to the english definition.

Not if the stock is BELOW what you bought it for. If it is you are in the negative my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Or DOW 9000, anyone who thinks they can predict this thing is a fool.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,983 times
Quote:
It's not a formula.

It's simply my way of looking at my stock portfolio over a longer time frame.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with the IRS definition of the word "gain".

The word "gain" means to "increase in value".

And if my stock was worth $1000 in March 2009, and it is worth $1500 right now, it increased in value, thereby having a "gain".

If I originally paid $2000 for it, it would be a loss if I sold it based on the IRS definition, but I would still feel I "gained" back 25% of the money I was previously down in March.
So basically unless your stock goes down everyday your a winner. Cool!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Huh!! that makes no sense at all. If the stock is not worth at least what you paid for it then you have no increase in valve. The stock is still a loss. it is very dangerous to look at stock the way you are because you think you are winning but you very well may not be. Stock is worthless until you sell it and if you do not sell it for at least what you bought it for you have lost money, value whatever you want to call it.
You are still thinking in terms of IRS "capital gain".

I am well aware of "capital gains" and how they work. I have purchased and sold stocks and mutual funds for many, many years.

But if I had a stock which lost 50% of its value, and I chose to not sell it, and it has since recovered 25%, then I see that increase in value as a "gain" in my portfolio.

It is not a "capital gain" for that specific stock ... but it does mean that my portfolio has increased (aka "gained") in value.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Huh!! that makes no sense at all. If the stock is not worth at least what you paid for it then you have no increase in valve. The stock is still a loss. it is very dangerous to look at stock the way you are because you think you are winning but you very well may not be. Stock is worthless until you sell it and if you do not sell it for at least what you bought it for you have lost money, value whatever you want to call it.
Well I guess in that case since when you were born you weighed maybe 7 lbs, unless you get back down to under 7 lbs no diet will ever result in a net loss of weight eh?

Give it up. If someone takes a loss last year - that's LAST YEAR, it's water under the bridge and nothing can be done about it. All you can worry about is how your investments are doing NOW and how they will do in the future - and right NOW the market is doing VERY WELL. Unless you can turn back time, all that previous loss is OVER and all you can do is look forward.

Ken

Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well if all you guys are gaining, then you might want to realize your profits and then get back in.
This way if and I said if there is a double dip you won't lose it all again.

Port traffic showed a little improvement this month but nowhere near what the market is doing.
Remember..most of our goods are imported. Christmas buying season is coming up. I thought there would have been a bigger spike in imports as retailers stocked up but there wasn't.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:

I am well aware of "capital gains" and how they work. I have purchased and sold stocks and mutual funds for many, many years.

But if I had a stock which lost 50% of its value, and I chose to not sell it, and it has since recovered 25%, then I see that increase in value as a "gain" in my portfolio.

It is not a "capital gain" for that specific stock ... but it does mean that my portfolio has increased (aka "gained") in value.

Ummmm ok. I don't consider something a gain or increase in wealth until it has surpassed the cash I have put out to buy it but it you want to think a stock worth less then what you paid for it is something to celebrate. Rock on.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well I guess in that case since when you were born you weighed maybe 7 lbs, unless you get back down to under 7 lbs no diet will ever result in a net loss of weight eh?

Give it up. If someone takes a loss last year - that's LAST YEAR, it's water under the bridge and nothing can be done about it. All you can worry about is how your investments are doing NOW and how they will do in the future - and right NOW the market is doing VERY WELL. Unless you can turn back time, all that previous loss is OVER and all you can do is look forward.

Ken
What the hell are you talking about. Who the heck said anything about going back. I said that if you do not sell it for at least what you PAID for the stock you have not had a gain. I have no clue what you are babbling about.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Let me help you out here.

According to your definition what you've done is gained back some of your loss. So right now you've lost less than you had lost before. However, you still have less than you started with.

Hopefully for you this ridiculous market will become even more ridiculous and soon you'll be able to say you've gained back all your losses and now show a profit.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about. Who the heck said anything about going back. I said that if you do not sell it for at least what you PAID for the stock you have not had a gain. I have no clue what you are babbling about.

ROFL!!!

This new math is pretty cool. I'm thinking I might be up alot more than I realize this year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies