Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:32 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Movie Talk: Universal's UK 'Couples Retreat' Poster Brings Cries of Racism by Removing Black Actors
According to the above article, a black couple was removed from the european version of an American movie and that American movies that stars black actors don't do very good in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:44 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Europe is racist

um .. ya think?

And we all wonder why Chicago didn't get the Olympics ..

Old 11-16-2009, 05:51 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Here's a little secret ...... Asia can be pretty racist, too.

I know, I know -- the US is supposed to be the only racist nation on Earth - what a shocker

Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

I know, I know -- the US is supposed to be the only racist nation on Earth - what a shocker
No, america is not considered as racist even though it is full of racists like any other place. it's those "labels" like mulitcultural, melting pot, and diversity. none of that stops any racists or bigots though. almost every group has some type of beef or stereotype or bigoted opinion about another group.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

Well, not exactly...there are MANY racist societies on earth..and most people acknowledge that. In addition to racism, there's also misogyny, class hatreds, xenophobia, tribal mayhem, genocide, and all sorts of ignorance, narrow-mindedness, and stupidity....and most people realize this. What you're alluding to, I believe, is the fact that the US is the only society on earth which is expected to FEEL GUILTY about these things...and the rest of the world AGREES! WE want to talk about all the 'horrible' things we do...(or did), and THEY want to talk about the horrible things WE did, too !

NOBODY wants to talk about "their" racism....and since we pretty much agree, (after all, it's not PC to criticize others), then the ONLY racist country left to talk about is OURS !

A lot of it revolves around culture. Everyone knows that many people do unkind, or backward, or hostile things, not because they're 'bad' people, but because that's what their culture demands of them. Here in the US, since we really have no "culture", (we're multicultural, you see, and have no hard-and-fast cultural parameters to guide us) therefore we have no 'cultural' reason forcing us to act unkindly, or to be mean or racist. When WE do bad things, it's not because of culture...it's because we're just 'bad'.

So you had the right idea, but left out a few details....nice post, though, anyway.

Last edited by macmeal; 11-16-2009 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 06:47 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Well, not exactly...there are MANY racist societies on earth..and most people acknowledge that. In addition to racism, there's also misogyny, class hatreds, xenophobia, tribal mayhem, genocide, and all sorts of ignorance, narrow-mindedness, and stupidity....and most people realize this. What you're alluding to, I believe, is the fact that the US is the only society on earth which is expected to FEEL GUILTY about these things...and the rest of the world AGREES! WE want to talk about all the 'horrible' things we do...(or did), and THEY want to talk about the horrible things WE did, too !

NOBODY wants to talk about "their" racism....and since we pretty much agree, then the ONLY racist country is US !

So you had the right idea, but left out a few details....nice post, anyway.

Very well stated.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:51 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Every person in this world is on some level a little racist. It is actually programmed into your DNA, at a very primitive level. If you are a human being, you are a little racist. Its no different than you having a desire to want to have sex, it is what makes you human.

There are people who can overcome it to a large extent, and constantly remind themselves to be fair, but there are also people that never have sex their entire lives. I bet there are even people who have never even had an orgasm their entire life(especially nuns). Is this normal? Is it to be admired? That is cultural opinion.

The Europeans can be racist because unlike America, Europe actually has CULTURE, and I don't mean they go to the theater or they enjoy museums. I mean each country of Europe actually has a culture of their own, that probably dates backs hundreds if not thousands of years. The problem is, how do they preserve their culture in this world that has become so small? How does France protect French culture if they are being overtaken by muslims? Unlike America, who thinks its perfectly acceptable to just allow everyone else to come into this country and cause huge changes in whatever culture we had. Most European countries actually have pride in their own culture and don't like seeing all this American propaganda films where there has to be practically one person of every race in every movie or people start calling racism.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Every person in this world is on some level a little racist. It is actually programmed into your DNA, at a very primitive level. If you are a human being, you are a little racist. Its no different than you having a desire to want to have sex, it is what makes you human.

There are people who can overcome it to a large extent, and constantly remind themselves to be fair, but there are also people that never have sex their entire lives. I bet there are even people who have never even had an orgasm their entire life(especially nuns). Is this normal? Is it to be admired? That is cultural opinion.

The Europeans can be racist because unlike America, Europe actually has CULTURE, and I don't mean they go to the theater or they enjoy museums. I mean each country of Europe actually has a culture of their own, that probably dates backs hundreds if not thousands of years. The problem is, how do they preserve their culture in this world that has become so small? How does France protect French culture if they are being overtaken by muslims? Unlike America, who thinks its perfectly acceptable to just allow everyone else to come into this country and cause huge changes in whatever culture we had. Most European countries actually have pride in their own culture and don't like seeing all this American propaganda films where there has to be practically one person of every race in every movie or people start calling racism.

Programmed into DNA? So are you saying that chimps are racist too? They share 99.9% of our DNA. I understand what you are saying but I think the idea that its programmed into us is not quite true. Racism is learned its not instinctual.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
There is an instinctual desire for the survival of your species. I realize humans are all the same species, but on a primitive level I think it is part of our minds to not associate people that don't look like us to be like us. While I understand that we are all VERY SIMILAR. We are not the same, as many have said before, we share 60% of our DNA with a banana. The DNA we don't share makes us a lot more different than you might want to believe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/us/11dna.html

http://www.consumingexperience.com/2...is-racism.html

Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,632,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Movie Talk: Universal's UK 'Couples Retreat' Poster Brings Cries of Racism by Removing Black Actors
According to the above article, a black couple was removed from the european version of an American movie and that American movies that stars black actors don't do very good in Europe.
I don't think any American is placed to lecture others on the topic of racism - gievn your country's history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies