Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:04 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,227,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
The Silverdome has been a disaster and a empty tomb for years, after the Lions and Pistons moved out.

Heating the place cost a fortune - it's terrible for concerts (only place worst is Montreal's Olympic) and was designed for only one thing - (american) pro-football. They even tried turning the parking lot into a drive-in theater.......

Pontiac doesn't have any money (and they havent for years - even with the Dome in use). They had a chance to sell it for more a few years ago, but they thought they might get more.........or the deal fell apart (I don't remember)

But, then again, I think those that think it will be successful as a soccer venue, might be re-selling it in a short while.
A sign of decadence coming to a screeching halt. These big ticket sports stadiums are the first to fall and fall hard in price they do. Notice the buyer was Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,315,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
A sign of decadence coming to a screeching halt. These big ticket sports stadiums are the first to fall and fall hard in price they do. Notice the buyer was Canadian.
The Lions have Ford Field. Not to belittle the commercial real estate situation. But I don't think it's uncommon for a city to "dump" obsolete facilities or buildings to private investors. Yes, I noticed the new owners are Canadian. God Bless them.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,269,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not sure what this speaks to more, depressed commercial real estate of buildings that had no true market value to begin with seeing how there ain't a whole lot of demand for mega sports stadiums to begin with which is why professional sports owners never build them themselves but instead expect cities and states to socialize the construction cost at the expense of taxpayers.
You could be on to something.

Fair Market Value.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You could be on to something.

Fair Market Value.
Oh, I believe that I am. I mean really what is the demand in an inelastic market for a single use structure of that is only of value to a market that is intentionally limited in size?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:03 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,461,964 times
I bet the taxpayers are still paying for this one too. Just another reason I'm no fan of politicians taking money from citizens to pay for these.

On another note, the median home price in Detroit is $7500 so this is just keeping with the complete FAIL of everyone involved.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,891,310 times
Maybe Detroit will have some money to bury the unclaimed bodies they have sitting around..

Charity buries Detroit's dead - Video - Business News

Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,679,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not sure what this speaks to more, depressed commercial real estate of buildings that had no true market value to begin with seeing how there ain't a whole lot of demand for mega sports stadiums to begin with which is why professional sports owners never build them themselves but instead expect cities and states to socialize the construction cost at the expense of taxpayers.
whoa... where is the period my man.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,679,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That's interesting because it was John Street from Philly, a democrat, that approved of the multi-million dollar tax bill on Philadelphia residents for a stadium.
I dont see anything in his post which speaks of political affiliation. Why did you bring it up?

Old 11-17-2009, 05:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,430,927 times
Sheesh, I'm surprised it was not snapped up by a Chinese company, I guess they are not interested in old sports stadiums in cities on the brink of economic collapse

Old 11-17-2009, 06:05 PM

975 posts, read 1,749,893 times
Don't they usually knock down old stadiums and turn them into parking lots? I'm surprised they could actually sell the thing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies