Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Why haven't you met the mothers of the children that you coach? Maybe because they're running three and four and five children around town to different practices, activities. Maybe because they're out getting groceries or doing errands after working a full day at work. Maybe because they're out taking care of grandma and grandpa, shopping for them, preparing their meals, cleaning their home, tending to their meds, making sure everything is taken care of while Jr. is at practice. Most women have to balance twenty things at once, while men, in general, do one thing at a time. That's my opinion.
Very good points. While not discounting the importance of taking an interest in children's activities, often it seems to be that the men do more of the "fun stuff" like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Read this and then tell me who is sexist.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11657234-post22.html

Old 11-17-2009, 06:17 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
What's all this talk about women being sexy anyway? I resemble that!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:03 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

Someone posting annoymously on an internet forum does not have anywhere near the influence or impact of Oprah Winfrey making a sexist comment on national TV.

Some women are certainly sexist. Saying that some men are sexist as well doesn't disprove the fact that some women are sexist.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Oprah's heavy lifting consists entirely of moving her bovine carcass from one buffet to the next.
Yeah, I remember before she went on a diet, she was boarding an airliner and got busted for carrying 450 pounds of crack.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

I remember that rant very well.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:45 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Sorry if you're stuck in the 1950s and only the women are capable of taking kids to the doctor, cleaning clothes or home (my mother never cleaned, my father and the housekeeper did""

HOUSEKEEPER!!!! OH so you were RICH enough so parental duties weren't all that tough , were they!!?????

), feeding them, washing them (my father also gave my sister's their bottles and did all the diaper changing), shopping for them, etc.

It's very important to attend a child's special events, whether they are sporting events or recitals or debates. To a child, when one parent goes out of their way to come to the event, it shows how much the child means to the parent. When one parent continually favors personal activities over the child's events, it shows a lack of interest. It does matter.

I also said "teaching him how to be a man, teaching her how to deal with men, teaching him algebra, etc." my father taught me how to calculate complex math problems in my head from the time I was a little boy by quizzing me at the baseball games on the batting averages. My father taught me how to drive because my mother would freak me out with her jumpy nature. My father taught me how to shave. My father taught me how to read the stock pages. He taught me about business and gave me many life lessons.

And what about the "wait till your father gets home" people? Without the father, there is no discipline and therefore the kid has no structure...

If the man is doing nothing to raise the kids in your family, your husband/father is a deadbeat. Any real dad does a ton to help raise their child.
Oh, BTW, I have to apologize....I didn't know that you based your opinion on what men do or don't do SOLEY on your family....well, I guess if YOUR Royal Family , The Only Family in the World, does it then I guess everyone does......

Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Someone posting annoymously on an internet forum does not have anywhere near the influence or impact of Oprah Winfrey making a sexist comment on national TV.

Some women are certainly sexist. Saying that some men are sexist as well doesn't disprove the fact that some women are sexist.

Speaking as someone who is a woman, I am sick and tired of being blamed for everything (as the link I provided you). Women were being blamed for "obesity" and "ruining sacredness of marriage". I am sick and tired of women getting paid less than men and I am sick and tired of hearing that women were better off as being baby producers. I am sick and tired of being looked down upon because I want my freedom and career over children. And then there are men who somehow think they should get to vote on abortion rights and control MY body. Can you imagine what men would do if women said that they should all get a vasectomy. It would be "SHE has NO RIGHT to tell me what to do."

My neighbors husband died. She has a little girl with him. She moved into a beautiful home and her and her daughter live there. She was sad for a while (of course) about her husbands death but now lives happily in a BEAUTIFUL home. Do you have any idea what the neighbors say about her? Her dead husbands family asks how come she is happy and how she can afford a nice home. Imagine if she was man. No one would be saying anything. They'd be praising him for taking care of the daughter without a mother.

Men have it way better than women. WAY better. They can sleep with whoever that want and it is ok. Boys will be boys but women are whores if they do that. They get paid more and are taken more seriously. They are considered the leaders of the family, etc etc.

So if Oprah makes ONE remark it is not the end of the world for the men. You all still have it much better than women ever will. But at the same time, my point was that there are some women who are sexist and some men too. It does not make it right.

I personally would pay a man and a woman the same salary if they both did the same work. I do not care who a woman sleeps with. If a man can do it, so can a woman. Don't take what Oprah says to heart.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
I agree with the OP...Women are very often guilty of "mansogyny" ...lol But yeah, it does seem ok for women to be sexist. I hear women call men dumb all the time on TV..and even in real life women give themselves all the credit for child rearing.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:15 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I agree with the OP...Women are very often guilty of "mansogyny" ...lol But yeah, it does seem ok for women to be sexist. I hear women call men dumb all the time on TV..and even in real life women give themselves all the credit for child rearing.
It's called misandry by the way.

The fact that you don't even know the proper term (I'm not knocking you, just proving a point ) is a sign of how "acceptable" sexism against men is in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies