Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,969,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't think the black community in general had as much to say about Bush, the man, as the white community has said about Obama, the man.
I've been in black churches where prayers were offered for Bush, time and time again. No one was ever angry with Bush as a human being but as a person out of touch with the needs of the majority of his constituency. His continued good health was prayed for and also prayers for a more discerning heart. Obama never received any period of assessment before, the rhetoric turned hateful. No prayers for change but only for his removal. Hmmmm This has been the posture of the right from day one. I agree with your main point though. There needs to be acceptance of the fact that, like it or not, Obama is the President. At best all the grass roots revolutionary movements are an uneeded distraction in these difficult times. At worst they are seriously straining the very fabric of The Flag.

H
Not all "white" Christians are praying for the demise of Obama, just an extremely vocal minority of them. Their actions are contrary to what Christianity is all about as Jesus has said for us to love one another and praying for our leaders. I'm sure that many black churches were in fact praying for Bush's wisdom and well being just as many white Christians are praying for Obama's wisdom and well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 02:14 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,125,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Funny how the anti-religion liberals on this forum all of a sudden find a verse from the Bible relevant.

You folks take stupidity to a new high with every passing day.

The sad part is that you don't even realize it.
Funny how you think people who are anti-religion are INSTANTLY liberals.
Now, what was that about stupidity?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,059,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
And while we are praying for new leadership, the Bible instructs us to submit to the leaders that God has placed over us and not speak evil against them. Reread my post where I gave scriptures that support this Momokey.
You're wrong, nowhere in the Bible does it say to SUBMIT to our leaders as in the POTUS. BTW, God didn't put Obama in office. I think you're a bit over the top.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:27 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,742,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Funny how you think people who are anti-religion are INSTANTLY liberals.
Now, what was that about stupidity?
Not only that, but a lot of liberals are just as religious as the conservatives are. If not more so in some cases. Then you have some like me who, while not what anyone would call religious, certainly are not anti-religious either. And I don't consider myself either liberal or conservative, but a mixture of both because ........
Well that is getting way off-topic.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,969,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
You're wrong, nowhere in the Bible does it say to SUBMIT to our leaders as in the POTUS. BTW, God didn't put Obama in office. I think you're a bit over the top.
Please see my post below which I quoted for your convenience. All Scriptural references come from the New King James Version.
Quote:
Psalms 109:8 was taken out of context and God NEVER commands us to pray for the death of ANYONE. This "conservative" group is obviously NOT a Christian group as Jesus tells us to love others, even those we consider our "enemies." The Bible is very clear that we are also to submit to those in authority over us and pray for them for wisdom. Here are some Bible passages for further reference taken from the New King James Version.

Jesus tells us to love one another (this includes loving our leaders):
John 13:34-35: A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.â€

The Bible tells us to pray for our leaders:
1 Timothy 2:
1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

The Bible tells us to subject ourselves to those in authority over us because all authority comes from God (regardless of political party).
Romans 13:1-2:
1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

Titus 3:1-2
1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:38 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,059,655 times
Quote:
Please see my post below which I quoted for your convenience. All Scriptural references come from the New King James Version.
It's a bunch of BS. New King James Version is a modern revision, what you quoted does not exist in other versions. God didn't appoint BO as president. Besides, you believe that you should just follow their lead even if they're leading you off of a cliff? I don't think so, that's called brainwashing or a lemming or a sheep.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,319,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Let his days be few;
and let another take his office. Acts

Psalms 109. The Holy Bible: King James Version.

Where does it say anything about being violently murdered? Why can't it be considered hope he doesn't get reelected?
Dead....whatever

Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,167,901 times
Quote:
Not all "white" Christians are praying for the demise of Obama, just an extremely vocal minority of them. Their actions are contrary to what Christianity is all about as Jesus has said for us to love one another and praying for our leaders. I'm sure that many black churches were in fact praying for Bush's wisdom and well being just as many white Christians are praying for Obama's wisdom and well being.
I would like to know WHO these "Christians" are that are "praying for the demise of Obama". I haven't heard of any voices being raised to the heavens that Obama should die and if there were any, I would bet the farm that Katie Couric, et al would let us know post haste. I grant there could be some who would not mourn his death but it is too much of a stretch to say that anyone (Christian or otherwise) who has the bumper sticker about Psalm 109:8 on their cars is praying that he soon dies. That's pure assumption and an outrageous one, at that.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:48 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,319,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I would like to know WHO these "Christians" are that are "praying for the demise of Obama". I haven't heard of any voices being raised to the heavens that Obama should die and if there were any, I would bet the farm that Katie Couric, et al would let us know post haste. I grant there could be some who would not mourn his death but it is too much of a stretch to say that anyone (Christian or otherwise) who has the bumper sticker about Psalm 109:8 on their cars is praying that he soon dies. That's pure assumption and an outrageous one, at that.
Psalm 109:8 is referring to death. These people must not know what it means.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:50 PM

38,611 posts, read 26,267,081 times
Quote:
And while we are praying for new leadership, the Bible instructs us to submit to the leaders that God has placed over us and not speak evil against them. Reread my post where I gave scriptures that support this Momokey.

But in our form of self-governance, we are those people. The ones in office work for us. In these United states there is no higher office than "we the people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies