Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 AM

432 posts, read 605,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Advertising makes a difference in sales. Don't forget that.

Oh really????????????????????????? I can't remember the last time there was a tv commercial advertising tobacco... maybe b.c it's been illegal to air one of those for too long to remember.

So there goes that theory out the window.

The real question is. When are we going to stop wasting tax payer money on something that doesn't work and shouldn't have been spent in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 AM

737 posts, read 1,176,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'd like to be able to breathe without choking on someone's cigarette or the stifling stench on their clothing.
And having the smell waft on your own clothing Last year I had literally had to limit the amount of time I spent with my co-workers outside work and the distance at which I stood from them when they all were smoking at the same time because my clothes would smell terrible.

I will admit that I smoked a cigarette once... in HIGH SCHOOL when I was 16 and wanted to be cool

Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
The information on whats in the cig is out there. Plenty of movies on the subject, so you know what youre getting into.

Not to mention the price of a pack is like, what? $10 bucks now? And they dont even finish one cig, sometimes they just take a few puffs and they're already tossing it out.

I work with a bunch of young 18-22 year olds and they all puffin that stuff. Cant stand the smell of cig smoke so it sucks to be around them.
well they are not $10 everywhere. In MO they are about $3.50, but even then, I agree. I only wish I had know 50 years ago, what we know now. Thank goodness I finally broke the habit!!!!!

Nita

Old 11-18-2009, 02:07 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,248,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well they are not $10 everywhere. In MO they are about $3.50, but even then, I agree. I only wish I had know 50 years ago, what we know now. Thank goodness I finally broke the habit!!!!!

Nita

Congrats!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
I'd like to be able to breathe without choking on someone's cigarette or the stifling stench on their clothing.
Back in the mid-40's before we dropped those atomic bombs on Japan, I'm sure there was already an anti-smoking campaign underway over there, people complaining like you about the stifling stench of smoker's clothing and choking on someone's burning cigarette.

And then............bombs away!

And then............overnight, the smell of tobacco smoke was no longer a complaint.

The smell of burning hair, burning skin, an entire city burning took its place.

It's an inevitability, this planet will meet a much smokier end one day. And here we are, a planet so close to the precipice, and its inhabitants are still closely examining (tobacco) leaves, and unable to see the trees.

Smokers are projected to live 10 years less than non-smokers. But, we have a huge selfish aging population that's going to need to try and keep alive every young person to pay their bills some day.

Understood, those aging nonsmokers upset over see somone younger smoking as they've been ordained to replenish the social security and medicare funds
We can't afford to lose any of them. I'm 59, and if I see some younger person, fishing in his wallet to find enough cash to buy a pack of cigarettes, I'll happily subsidize the purchase.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:59 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
We have a number of respitory therapist who are regular chain smokers. Before our hospital went smoke free outside on it's property, we regularly saw nurses take frequent smoke breaks.

I've often wondered why someone would light up for the first time. Also, with all the money Hollywood celebrities have, you'd think they'd use a little of it to help them quit smoking. No, instead some start smoking for movie roles (Selma Hyak <sp?> for her role in Frida) and some give up smoking to get fit for a movie role and promptly start smoking again when the movie shooting is done (Angelina Jolie for Tomb Raider). Back in 1990 I was in Navy Bootcamp and there was no smoking allowed at all. The smokers in our company went a few months without lighting up. Right after graduation they lit up. In some cases, their parents were the ones giving them their first cigarette and lighting it for them. Great job mom and dad. Growing up, most of my family were chain smokers. My parents gave up smoking back in the mid 1980s. My sister and I never smoked at all.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:07 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
The information on whats in the cig is out there. Plenty of movies on the subject, so you know what youre getting into.

Not to mention the price of a pack is like, what? $10 bucks now? And they dont even finish one cig, sometimes they just take a few puffs and they're already tossing it out.

I work with a bunch of young 18-22 year olds and they all puffin that stuff. Cant stand the smell of cig smoke so it sucks to be around them.

They have the freedom to be stupid, just like past generations did.

Each has chosen their own poison.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Have you ever sat squished next to one of those stinkers on a crowded city bus right after they extinguished their toxic puffers? They do STINK!
I drove a coworker of mine (who smokes) in my car the other day. She did smoke in my car nor did she smoke immediately before getting in my car.

However, later on I got in my car and it had that hint of cigarette smell. It's nasty. And it lingers.

What do the latest statistics show on people under the age of 25 smoking anyway? Is it way down?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Advertizing, peer pressure (addicts love company) and addiction.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:

To control weight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies