Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I'm glad the "pc" hasn't moved from the classrooms to the sports teams.
It absolutely has. What do you call giving every kid a trophy whether they win or lose? What do you call games with no goalies, no keeping score, mercy rules?

And of course this is about being PC, because the point is so that no one's feelings are hurt.

It's moronic. Real life is about striving and achieving, not fairness and getting rewarded for sub-par performances. Oh, wait...that _is_ part of the liberal agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I don't see how this is a PC or a liberal mindset exactly.

A stupid mindset, perhaps? Absolutely.
The principles which drive these kinds of policies in the classroom are identical to the principles which drive most progressive agendas. Certainly you can correlate the two.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Oh great now we have to screw over those who do well and protect those who do not because they were not given the chance right?

Amazing.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Do you have a link for this story? What grade was this? That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard; when I was in high school those who excelled in academics were acknowledged just as often as those who excelled in athletics or the arts…I never heard of a “team concept” when it comes to learning.
Teacher broke law by posting top test scores | StarTribune.com If I'm understanding the article correctly, it breaks state law to make the actual grade public without permission. The teacher could have just listed the top ten and not broken state privacy laws.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It absolutely has. What do you call giving every kid a trophy whether they win or lose? What do you call games with no goalies, no keeping score, mercy rules?

And of course this is about being PC, because the point is so that no one's feelings are hurt.

It's moronic. Real life is about striving and achieving, not fairness and getting rewarded for sub-par performances. Oh, wait...that _is_ part of the liberal agenda.
I agree.

I received the first part of my education in the proudly militant DC public school system. Nonetheless, a theme that was taught over and over was that life was not fair and indeed it was a jungle where you had better work your tail off.

I can only imagine what is like now.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Teacher broke law by posting top test scores | StarTribune.com If I'm understanding the article correctly, it breaks state law to make the actual grade public without permission. The teacher could have just listed the top ten and not broken state privacy laws.
Fine! Allow the parents of these achievers to be permitted to disclose this type of information by a signed agreement. The school is merely assuming that privacy is breached for any of these achievers. But it's this kind of school bureaucracy crap is what makes it amazingly difficult for our research group to investigate ways to improve education by conducting studies.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
If one reads the article, it also states that many teachers think the ---advisory group--who stated it broke state laws were carrying it to an extreme.

This was not a ruling by a judge, but by an---"advisory group "

Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If one reads the article, it also states that many teachers think the ---advisory group--who stated it broke state laws were carrying it to an extreme.

This was not a ruling by a judge, but by an---"advisory group "
Probably an advisory group comprised of intolerant liberals

Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
Sounds a bit like The Fountainhead.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Oh well I can understand that. I've never actually had my grade posted where everybody could see it - when I was in grade school we had "Superstars" board and you just got gold stars for high grades so while it was clear who didn't get high grades we actually never knew what grades the other students had (unless they told us, which usually happens anyway)

In high school, at the end of every quarter those with a 3.0 GPA or higher were invited to campus pizza/movie party the last two hours of school so everybody knew if you weren't there your GPA wasn't 3.0 but we didn't know if it was 2.8 or 1.6.

As a parent, I can see a concern for this because kids can be cruel. You can praise the top achievers without letting everyone else know whose failing the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies