Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Tastes good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 12:12 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
U.S. health chief: No change on mammograms

"My message to women is simple. Mammograms have always been an important life-saving tool in the fight against breast cancer, and they still are today," Sebelius said in a statement.

"Keep doing what you have been doing for years -- talk to your doctor about your individual history, ask questions and make the decision that is right for you."

Well she has spoken - that settles it. At the end of the article she says,

the doctors and scientists on the task force "do not set federal policy and they don't determine what services are covered by the federal government."

Excuse me - the federal government doesn't cover any services do they? I guess maybe Mediacaid & Medicare.

Maybe this is something where the government wants people getting used to them making public health care policy statements.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Obviously you didn't watch the clip. The doctor said it would be more expensive if they waited longer, and potentially more deadly (just like any other profession, ask 10 doctors and you may get a few different opinions.) Furthermore the discussion is about a recommendation, not a requirement. Nobody is forcing you to opt out of an annual cancer pre-screening, they are simply a study group who is recommending that it isn't as necessary as often as once thought. It's no surprise that Fox news took this little bit and twisted it into another scare tactic for others to lie about. You guys should really get a grip, and quit lying so much. It's truly shameful.

It's a recommendation today. The upcoming public option will likely have loads of these restrictions on screenings and preventative care, and we all know that whatever the public option has, the rest of the policies out there will have to also have.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Secretary of health: No change in screening recommendations.

U.S. health chief: No change on mammogram policy - CNN.com

U.S. health chief: No change on mammogram policy

Washington (CNN) -- A federal advisory board's recommendation that women in their 40s should avoid routine mammograms is not government policy and has caused "a great deal of confusion," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Wednesday.

"My message to women is simple. Mammograms have always been an important life-saving tool in the fight against breast cancer, and they still are today," Sebelius said in a statement.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Obviously you didn't watch the clip. The doctor said it would be more expensive if they waited longer, and potentially more deadly (just like any other profession, ask 10 doctors and you may get a few different opinions.) Furthermore the discussion is about a recommendation, not a requirement. Nobody is forcing you to opt out of an annual cancer pre-screening, they are simply a study group who is recommending that it isn't as necessary as often as once thought. It's no surprise that Fox news took this little bit and twisted it into another scare tactic for others to lie about. You guys should really get a grip, and quit lying so much. It's truly shameful.
Yesterday I heard an 37 year old woman who claimed to be a 5 year survivor of breast cancer. She didn't say that a mammography had found her cancer, in fact she admitted that she was having reduction when the growths were found. She was very lucky but she was very unhappy that this crap had come out. This was not on Fox, however it was on Hannity's radio show. Anyway I know a whole bunch of women in the county I live in who all had their survivorship begin in their early to mid-40s. Now what are the chances that women like them will live to 50 when they will be able to get checked? Slim and none, I would say. Why yes all of them were found in the first 5 years of their 40s.

Speaking of that group of women, let me say that they raised over $50,000 with a basketball game played by young college women, some pro players and a number of high school players. Lots of support from the community for all their pink projects along with the pink and white uniforms for the teams. That group wouldn't exist today if we made them wait to 50 to get checked. They are very happy and, I might add, very proud of what they accomplished and every one of them is against this coming tragedy.

It sounds so really handy to have this suggestion come up at this very time when the Congress is being asked to set up panels to determine things like this.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I didn't know they had passed the bill. I must have fallen asleep.

PS they have been debating about necessary and unnesessary screenings for years
You know damned well that this hasn't been discussed in the Congress and won't be till they get one of those health care bills passed. You go ahead and try to make people look silly because they fear what will have to happen once we insert another 36 million people into the system. I use that number because it is the last one that the BIC used.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
More ridiculous FOXMONGERING (hey, I coined a WORD)

FOXMONGERING: Irrational Fear Mongering as told by the Fox Network
How do you like my new name for our President? BIC? He is the Bower in Chief of the US isn't he?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Good post!
You also have to keep in mind that it is pretty well established that Republicans believe their opinions are the ONLY valid ones. It is also required of members of the GOP to follow the official talking points (supplied to them by the Heritage Foundation) and express only those opinions the Party has established. Evidence, House votes on most everything put forth by Democrats. Any Republican not following the rule, will be, and have been, pushed out. In the Senate, 1 or 2 may go with Health care reform bill. When they do, they will be pushed out shortly. It really makes sense
that this be true. Since they represent such a small percentage of the population, they feel it essential to make sure all follow the doctrine if they want to have some political influence.

The Democrats, on the other hand, allow for divergent opions. Evidence, House votes on most everything put forth by Democrats. Any Democrat not following the rule, will be, and have been, acknowledged and accepted for their opinion. This also makes sense. Since they represent such a large percentage of the population, they feel it appropriate because the population has divergent opinions.
Could you tell me what the percentages you are talking about here are? Please do.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Oh no, no one ever denies claims now...never, not once.

Firefighter Denied Life-Saving Treatment - Local 2 Investigates News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/investigates/12538706/detail.html - broken link)
Insurance Won't Pay NorCal Mom's Cancer Treatment - cbs5.com (http://cbs5.com/local/cancer.treatment.denied.2.1007394.html - broken link)
Pre-Existing Health 'Conditions' - Cops, Firefighters, Expectant Dads, and Those Suffering From Allergies, Acne and Toenail Fungus Are Uninsurable According to Internal Documents (http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-18-2009/0005096676&EDATE= - broken link)
Think Progress » Patient Denied Care For Her Brain Tumor Says Insurers Want You To ‘Die Now, So We Can Save Money Later’

Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
They're testing the waters no doubt. If we'll roll over and accept this, they can go ahead with the rest.
Darned right that is what they are doing. Same old crap that used to be known as global warming and now is climate change. The difference is that with climate change it can go either way and those cancers will only go one way unless treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies