U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2009, 04:48 PM
 
39,092 posts, read 23,262,402 times
Reputation: 12159

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The thing that gets me is that again with the help of the left, the poorest of us will not have annual mamograms. I can pay for mine if I choose to have one, but if you are poor and depend of this government health plan then you get to die. It is about control, not health care.
Well, the poorest who qualify for the existing programs, Medicaid and Medicare will still have mammograms if they so desire or if their doctor wants them to. It's not the poorest of us you need to be concerned about. It's the uninsured amongst us, who currently don't do mammograms, anyway. First because they can't afford to pay for the screening out-of-pocket, and secondly, because they know they can't afford additional tests and/or treatment if an irregularity is found. There are people who don't have physicals because they couldn't afford the treatments for high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, or any other illness, so they actually choose not to know the details of their health, rather than to know. A substantial number of people, if given the choice to know or not know when and how they will die, would choose not to know. That is even more prevalent among uninsured people who know that the knowledge won't give them the means to change the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM
 
27,903 posts, read 33,523,654 times
Reputation: 4016
[Results of a prospective randomized investigation... [Vopr Onkol. 2003] - PubMed result
Quote:
yet it did not affect mortality.
Randomized trial of breast self-examination in Sha... [J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002] - PubMed result
Quote:
BSE should be informed that its efficacy is unproven and that it may increase their chances of having a benign breast biopsy.
Quote:
ďAt the time of the trial, 40 percent of Russian women with breast cancer died in four years,Ē said Dr. Anne Kearney, an assistant professor of nursing and medicine at Memorial University of Newfoundland in St. Johnís, who has studied the research.
Dr. Anthony Miller, a Canadian researcher who was the World Health Organizationís scientific adviser for the Russian study, said the trial was poorly financed and executed.
Our Bodies, Our Breast Exams - Well Blog - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Midwest
29,203 posts, read 18,491,222 times
Reputation: 6996
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The thing that gets me is that again with the help of the left, the poorest of us will not have annual mamograms. I can pay for mine if I choose to have one, but if you are poor and depend of this government health plan then you get to die. It is about control, not health care.
Can you tell me who pays for the poor's mammograms, who do not have insurance, now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,119 posts, read 20,216,107 times
Reputation: 8209
Great stuff, I got a job at the FEMA Camp operating the Soylent green Machine. They say we'll be grinding wingnuts any day now




FOXMONGERING

Last edited by Boompa; 11-18-2009 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
 
21,044 posts, read 19,063,158 times
Reputation: 5929
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

YouTube - 'Very Worrisome'


This is the cost savings that the new health plan will require! This is going to save money but get a whole lot of women and men killed!

If you're dead, you don't cost us anything! BRILLIANT!

HOW'S THAT HOPE AND CHANGE TASTING??


THIS IS RATIONING OF HEALTHCARE!!! This what we have been warning you Obamaphiles about!

I will put money on the fact the I bet Michelle Obama will still get an annual exam!! And every female congresswoman too....
So you really want to pay higher and higher insurance premiums for Insurance Company Death Panels? ...the REAL Death Panels...


A Real Death Panel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,615 posts, read 32,063,428 times
Reputation: 9436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you really want to pay higher and higher insurance premiums for Insurance Company Death Panels? ...the REAL Death Panels...
This recommendation is a demonstration of how the current system works, so those who insist on clinging to it, should worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 35,994,080 times
Reputation: 12725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This recommendation is a demonstration of how the current system works, so those who insist on clinging to it, should worry.
Right, because trusing our health decisions to a Government who invents jobs created/saved in imaginary Congressional districts is only going to improve our access to the best healthcare in the world?

Why don't Obama, Pelosi & Ried just go take the "blue pill" and let the rest of us be responsible for our own healthcare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
 
8,362 posts, read 8,638,866 times
Reputation: 26129
Why don't Obama, Pelosi & Ried just go take the "blue pill" and let the rest of us be responsible for our own healthcare!

.................................................. .................................................. .

So you believe you should get whatever healthcare you afford? Is that your position? And, if you can't pay for your own healthcare tough? This is short and I don't want to put words into your mouth, but it seems to be what you are saying.

Obama, Pelosi, and Reid are attempting to deal with the fact that 47 million Americans in this nation of ours are without health insurance. Forty seven million...please think about that number...its more than the population of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Italy, France, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Finland, or Denmark.

Have you done any critical thinking about the healthcare mess this country is in? If you have, you might be aware of the following:

1. Healthcare costs increase an average of 8% per year, or 3 X the rate of inflation.

2. Sixteen percent of the entire national income or GNP of the USA is made of healthcare expenditures. If nothing is done to stop the high rate of growth in this sector of our economy it will be 20% in 2015. Not concerned? By way of background in 1960, just 5% of our GNP consisted of healthcare expenditures.

3. The 47 million people in this country without health insurance comprise a total of 15% of our population. We are talking men, women, and children.

4. The ranks of the uninsured increase every year by an estimated 2 million people. Why is that? There are a number of reasons, but one major reason is that more and more employers are choosing to drop health insurance as the cost of providing it increases.

5. Did you know that health insurance costs were significant factors in the bankruptcies of GM and Chrysler? Yes, they could have built better cars, but the cost per employee for healthcare benefits was extraordinarily high and growing every year.

6. Many people who have health insurance in America aren't really insured. They have plans with high deductibles and copays that are financially devastating when something serious happens. Having to pay 15% of your healthcare costs is oppressive when you have had cardiac surgery costing $150,000. In fact, bankruptcy courts have noted the high number of filers who have health insurance, but still couldn't pay medical bills.

7. Every other modern industrialized nation, but the USA, has some form of universal health insurance. I'm including all the European Countries, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, and now even Taiwan.

8. Even if you have good health insurance its unlikely to last. How can it last with costs rising every year by 8%? Eventually, the plan will have to curtail coverage and raise rates. How happy will you be than?

The Obama Plan isn't perfect by a longshot. It may need serious revising before it becomes law. However, have you thought about being a part of the solution instead of part of the problem? Why not suggest ways to tailor the plan to different needs and control costs?

Its a most unconvincing argument against Obama's plan if all you have to say is "I like my health insurance so why won't Obama, Pelosi, and Reid leave me alone". Be careful what you say. It sounds very much to me like "*********, I've got mine".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 35,994,080 times
Reputation: 12725
"Be careful what you say." Are you threatening me? Obama has not been successful voiding the 1st amendment, yet. Would you be one of his henchmen?

The statment means that those in leadership need to take their own medicine before forcing it upon a free people. Taking the "blue pill" was Obama's suggestion if you recall.

Yes, I take personal responsibility for my own healthcare and my own health insurance. It is neither provided for by the government nor an employer. Therefore, it is not the place of Government to tell me I can no longer provide for myself and force fines or jail upon me if I do not choose to participate in their so-called "option". Nor should they force the same upon anyone else who is not accepting taxpayer $$ for healthcare.

Nothing about "Obamacare" is about providing better access and better healthcare to a nation of free people. It is about government gaining the control of each American's life from cradle to grave, to grant "free" healthcare to potential future voting blocks who are in the country illegally as a means to insure success in future "elections", and to collect a TAX from every American just for the act of not being aborted pre-birth but instead surviving birth.

I am not part of the "problem". I have never gone to the emergency room for anything other than a real medical emergency. I have never requested unneccessary tests or medications from my physicians. I have always paid my medical bills, insurance bills, and taxes before all else. I have worked in the medical industry, up close with patients. And, I have seen the waste up close. I have seen the lack of care for those who really need it because of government interference and billing policies in regard to Medicare and Medicaid. I have donated my time to the medical care of others. No sir, I am not the "problem" as you have chosen to assign me.

I do not infringe upon anyone elses right to life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness. I provide for a number of people less fortunate than myself; not because the government forces me, but because it is how I choose to spend my time and the remaining hard earned $$ that the government has not yet stolen.

Therefore, do not think you can twist my words and meaning and tell me what you choose I have said, or what I cannot say. For the rest of the evening I still live in a country whose Constitution affirms my rights as God given, not government given, and certainly not given by you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 PM
 
Location: SA
744 posts, read 1,051,206 times
Reputation: 566
markg91359
I am curious if part of the cost of the health care is going for illegals, you quoted out serveral countries where there is already some form of universal health care, have you lived in any of them or know people that do. I have family living in Scotland and I can tell you from the time I spent there that they are not happy with the service or lack there of, many also hold private insurance so they can see different doctors in a quicker time to get things handled. I sure hope that the plan is revised to where it will allow for interstate insurance policies to be written and thus let the market control the costs. If insurance companies were not regulated so hard by the government already, plans would be able to be adjusted to fit each insured individually instead of having state mandated levels of coverage which are already in place. I am curious if you have ever held an insurance license in any state.
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. How much power do you want to give to the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top