U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 AM

18,327 posts, read 18,571,226 times

Advertisements

It's getting way beyond ridiculous, stupid, idiotic, retarded.
I can imagine a future when I fill in the color of my car on the registration,I'll need to put 'the absence of all colors' instead of 'black'.
Then again, maybe I won't be able to use the word 'color' because of the possible racial connotation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 PM

85,028 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I can imagine a future when I fill in the color of my car on the registration,I'll need to put 'the absence of all colors' instead of 'black'.
Then again, maybe I won't be able to use the word 'color' because of the possible racial connotation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
now that would be retarded
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And people wonder why liberals are the laughing-stock of humanity. It would be funny if it weren't so damn retarded.
You guys just don't "get it". What if the child below were your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
On any given day at the mall, the sports field or the movies, 8-year-old Rosa Marcellino hears people say, "That's so retarded," or "You're such a retard."

"Even good kids use the word, not realizing that they're talking about people like my sister," said Rosa's brother Nick, a Maryland 14-year-old.

Rosa's Law Asks Senate To Kill Slur Mentally Retarded - ABC News

Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You guys just don't "get it". What if the child below were your child?

I think everyone "gets" it. It's not like we can't read.

This issue isn't even trying to get people to stop saying "retarded", it's to rename the offical medical name for it so professionals don't use the word. That may be easier than trying to stop common usage but it still doesn't mean anything in the big scheme of things. And it's not like getting someone you will never know to to use THIS word instead of THAT word will make any difference in your life or the world at large.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:46 PM

26,500 posts, read 24,241,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That may be easier than trying to stop common usage but it still doesn't mean anything in the big scheme of things. And it's not like getting someone you will never know to to use THIS word instead of THAT word will make any difference in your life or the world at large.
I disagree. Making changes at the top does have an influence on the rest of society.

And I see nothing wrong with being sensitive to others' feelings. Think about kids with mental disabilities who hear "That's so retarded" used daily as a pejorative. There's nothing wrong with trying to make society more civilized.

The phrase "That's so gay" (used as a pejorative) has fallen out of favor over the last couple of years, and I'm glad. No, it's not the worst thing in the world to say it, but I do think it's rather crude and it's certainly insensitive. At this point, the phrase is frowned upon enough that I think most educated people avoid using the phrase in mixed company.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I disagree. Making changes at the top does have an influence on the rest of society.

And I see nothing wrong with being sensitive to others' feelings. Think about kids with mental disabilities who hear "That's so retarded" used daily as a pejorative.

The phrase "That's so gay" (used as a pejorative) has fallen out of favor over the last couple of years, and I'm glad. No, it's not the worst thing in the world to say it, but I do think it's rather crude and it's certainly insensitive.
Whatever word you choose could be tomorrows insult. You can spend forever changing words or do something else. I really don't care what anyone else does but this doesn't register as an issue for me.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Yeah, the world is so confusing. It hurts a person's brain to have to think so much about these things, doesn't it?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Whatever word you choose could be tomorrows insult.
Yes, that's how language works. It's always evolving. I don't find it that hard to keep up with it.

Quote:
I really don't care what anyone else does but this doesn't register as an issue for me.
The fact that you've commented on it suggests otherwise.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,721,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I don't agree with all the improper usage of the word and as slang term...I find it offensive and I also find the misuse of the word "gay" offensive.

That's so gay...

That's so retarded...

blah, blah, blah

What these people SHOULD be saying IMHO is:

"I am too lazy, uneducated, unsophisticated, or simply not creative enough, to come up a way to accurately discribe how I feel about the object/situation at hand".

I am really not sure how "mentally retarded" could be banned as it is an actual condition...It's a shame how ignorant people throw the word around without taking into consideration other peoples feelings on the matter.
I agree.

I find the term, when used to insult or demean, common, repugnant and vulgar.

Being retarded is nothing more than bad genetic luck. The genetic short straw if you will.

When used as an insult to others, it makes light of those less fortunate.

And that is simply NEVER cool in my book. Not at all.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 PM

5,905 posts, read 5,083,418 times
Quote:
I think everyone "gets" it. It's not like we can't read.

This issue isn't even trying to get people to stop saying "retarded", it's to rename the offical medical name for it so professionals don't use the word. That may be easier than trying to stop common usage but it still doesn't mean anything in the big scheme of things. And it's not like getting someone you will never know to to use THIS word instead of THAT word will make any difference in your life or the world at large.
LOL like that will actually happen...we've been trying in vain to get physicians to stop using the term "urosepsis" for the past several decades, even after telling them that it only means UTI and not sepsis.

Not only that, but why on earth should the medical profession bow to the ignoramuses of the world who refuse to use words correctly? I'm sorry so many people are bent out of shape, but there are more disparaging words for disabled people than "retard", and everyone knows it.

George Carlin did a wonderful bit about this very subject (taking simple words/phrases and altering them horribly thanks to being politically correct). I really miss him--he was SO on the money.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,721,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It's just another liberal PC attack on free speech and another avenue for the sue happy, to sue. I don't really like hearing the word but the word is as you have stated. It means stunted. Eliminating words is like book burning.
The word need not be eliminated, but it certainly should only be used for its intended purpose.

I could care less what righties call me. Lefty loon, democrap etc...Lord knows I have a few choice ones for righties.... but the now somewhat common use "*******" is floating around.

I find it quite offensive.

Just plain bad karma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies