Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Many of the RWs on this forum excoriated Obama for his inappropriate use of "Special Olympics". "Retarded" is a variant on that theme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
So then the choice becomes illiterate or lazy.

If the shoe...
Hmm...nope. Just irreverant wise-arse who doesnt believe in Politically Correct garbage. Thats all it is, garbage.

The other choices dont apply...one would require that I could not read or write. I can certainly read (in English and even a little in German and French....working on Japanese, but thats coming along alot slower), can obviously write, and wouldnt consider being 3/4 of the way finished with a degree uneducated.

Lazy, perhaps, but who isnt a couch potato once in a while? I even let my retarded cat be lazy with me...

Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Many of the RWs on this forum excoriated Obama for his inappropriate use of "Special Olympics". "Retarded" is a variant on that theme.
I agreed with that sentiment. And to his credit, he manned up on it. But he was definitely wrong.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You guys just don't "get it". What if the child below were your child?
They won't get it, until God forbid, it hits home. I certainly didn't, until I gave birth to a wonderful, sweet,amazing little boy 2 years ago who has cerebral palsy. They say he is developmentally delayed, but he is catching up wonderfully,now! 6 months ago, he could just make sounds, NOW, he is saying a zillion differnet words, starting to put sentences together, & understands SO much of what's being said to him & around him ( sometimes I forget, & say thing I shouldn't, and THEN realize he KNOWS exactly what I am talking about!!)

I had a developmental pediatrician tell me, "If he continues at this rate, when he gets in school they will call him mentally retarded." She obviously thought I wasn't doing enough/trying hard enough to help him, was being condescending to me, & was trying to "scare" me into taking better care of my child, I suppose. This after a 10 minute "developmental assesment" where she did a few futile exercises where he TOTALLY ignored her, as I had to bring 6 year old big brother along that day, & he wanted to steal his crayons and draw,too!

I filed a complaint w/ the hospital, as I left there in tears , hurt at the way she treated me . I am a mother of 4, from 21 years down to 2 years, and this chick was *maybe* 23. I wanted to smack her silly, as she had a student dr. there w/ her, & she was showing off for him, IMHO. The hospital then sent us to a (much) older woman dr, who spent over an hour w/ us, giving him time to warm up to her, get to know her, instead of a 10 minute BS "test" like the other one, where he was scared to do anything, as she was a stranger! She said he was progressing wonderfully, was very sweet,caing & sensitive,as a doctor SHOULD be.
At my son's 6 month evaluation w/ his Early Intervention team yesterday, they said they believe he will be ready to begin to go to the school's pre-school program in January, instead of March, as he is ready! WOOT!

He may be delayed in certain areas, but the kid tells his 38 year old Daddy to pick up his dirty clothes/socks/shoes off his Mama's floor, makes sure we ALL know if the front door isn't properly closed, hollers when big brother & sister leave their stuff lying about... if only Daddy & the older kids would LEARN a thing or three from him!
I'd LOVE to be able to take him to that snot-nosed little gal doctor's house & let him tell HER what is what!!

I was in tears because I know that WORDS HURT, especially when you are a little child, who already feels out of place, shy, and wants SO bad to fit in. The terms "retarded" & "retard" are thrown about and used as an INSULT, just like the "N" word, & slurs against homosexuals, other ethnic groups, etc. The ones that use such terms are almost always the least educated, low-brow members of our society, who have low self esteem & use those slurs to make themslves feels better.

I am NOT a big fan of more dang LAWS, but I DO really admire what this young man is trying to do for his sister & others like her, especially considering how many kids nowadays are so selfish & "ME ME MEEE!!" !! He is trying to prove a point, that people like his sister have FEELINGS too, and those of you who make rude jokes, snide remarks, & belittle his efforts really are unbelieveable in my book. I just hope you won't have to find out what it's like to walk in these peoples' shoes one day, or watch a loved one be treated that way.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
I agree.

I find the term, when used to insult or demean, common, repugnant and vulgar.

Being retarded is nothing more than bad genetic luck. The genetic short straw if you will.

When used as an insult to others, it makes light of those less fortunate.

And that is simply NEVER cool in my book. Not at all.
Not ONLY genetic, BTW. It also encompasses such conditions such as cerebral palsy & other BRAIN INJURIES, that could happen to any of us, at any moment.

There, but for the grace of God,go I.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:44 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Another retarded, liberal law designed to chip away at free speech and criminalize innocent people for saying politically incorrect things.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Another retarded, liberal law designed to chip away at free speech and criminalize innocent people for saying "bad words".
I seriously doubt the 14 year old boy concerned about his little sister is a "liberal".

Old 11-19-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Hmm...nope. Just irreverant wise-arse who doesnt believe in Politically Correct garbage. Thats all it is, garbage.
Hell of a way to go through life. So high on yourself and all.

All things in moderation. Political correctness may have gone too far. But when a callous tough guy wanna be could care less about making fun of those in life that are less fortunate for their own personal amusement, it's no longer cute, and not even remotely funny.

It pathetic. And it's bad karma. Yours will come.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Not ONLY genetic, BTW. It also encompasses such conditions such as cerebral palsy & other BRAIN INJURIES, that could happen to any of us, at any moment.

There, but for the grace of God,go I.
Exactly.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I was in tears because I know that WORDS HURT, especially when you are a little child, who already feels out of place, shy, and wants SO bad to fit in. The terms "retarded" & "retard" are thrown about and used as an INSULT, just like the "N" word, & slurs against homosexuals, other ethnic groups, etc. The ones that use such terms are almost always the least educated, low-brow members of our society, who have low self esteem & use those slurs to make themslves feels better.

I guess it didn't occur to you that in that one sentance you are doing exactly what you are complaining about. Bigoted name calling. I have heard those terms used in some high places, including the president that compared his bowling to someone qualifed for the special olympics. I am pretty sure hussein obama is educated, does not have low self esteem or that he did it to feel better about himself.

The word retarded does not just apply to someone who has a lower mental capability. It's not ok to call a retarded person retarded, just like it's not ok to call a person with burns all over their face, scarface. Both would be factual but both would also be a matter of bad manners or just beng mean. Words should not be banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies