U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,718,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I am pretty sure hussein obama is educated, does not have low self esteem or that he did it to feel better about himself.

The word retarded does not just apply to someone who has a lower mental capability. It's not ok to call a retarded person retarded, just like it's not ok to call a person with burns all over their face, scarface. Both would be factual but both would also be a matter of bad manners or just beng mean. Words should not be banned.
Fascinating stuff from the same the guy who has to call Obama by his middle name as if to infer he's a terrorist.

Pretty lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:10 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,064,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Because there are those who use it as a derogatory term, to insult others.
I'm sorry, but this characterization isn't accurate.
Can you think of even one instance where retarded was used with malice against someone that was?
I bet not. It's a substitution for dumba##. Usually directed at a friend or family member in a lighthearted way.
Good thing we have nothing serious to worry about.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:21 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,064,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I don't agree with all the improper usage of the word and as slang term...I find it offensive and I also find the misuse of the word "gay" offensive.

That's so gay...

That's so retarded...

blah, blah, blah

What these people SHOULD be saying IMHO is:

"I am too lazy, uneducated, unsophisticated, or simply not creative enough, to come up a way to accurately discribe how I feel about the object/situation at hand".

I am really not sure how "mentally retarded" could be banned as it is an actual condition...It's a shame how ignorant people throw the word around without taking into consideration other peoples feelings on the matter.
Sorry but gays don't own that word anymore. It's been stolen from them by today's kids and has a whole new meaning. No reason to be offended now. Get with it grand ma. Times have changed!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 PM

26,484 posts, read 24,217,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Sorry but gays don't own that word anymore. It's been stolen from them by today's kids and has a whole new meaning. No reason to be offended now. Get with it grand ma. Times have changed!
I think using "gay" as a pejorative is somewhat passe' now. It peaked a few years ago.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,725,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
On any given day at the mall, the sports field or the movies, 8-year-old Rosa Marcellino hears people say, "That's so retarded," or "You're such a retard."

"Even good kids use the word, not realizing that they're talking about people like my sister," said Rosa's brother Nick, a Maryland 14-year-old.

Rosa's Law Asks Senate To Kill Slur Mentally Retarded - ABC News
NOT POSSIBLE

Old 11-19-2009, 11:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,957,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Hell of a way to go through life. So high on yourself and all.

All things in moderation. Political correctness may have gone too far. But when a callous tough guy wanna be could care less about making fun of those in life that are less fortunate for their own personal amusement, it's no longer cute, and not even remotely funny.

It pathetic. And it's bad karma. Yours will come.

First, Im a girl. Get it right.
Second, when the hell did I make fun of a retarded person? Ive got enough karma going to bite me in the arse for my own daily thoughts without that added to it, thanks.
I used the word to make fun of the people that were getting so riled up about the use of the word that they were trying to make a law out of it. A word is just that...a word. That kid needs to find something else better to do with his time and stop seeking his 15 minutes of fame. Just because his family doesnt use those words doesnt mean it needs to be dictated to the entire country as to its use or lack thereof.

But, whatever. Let them make a law. It will be said anyway.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:04 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
Fat is a word......to call a fat person fat would be accurate but rude .
I guess we should stop using the word fat even if we are not addressing a particular fat person.

And be very careful to use 'understand' instead of 'see' because of all the blind people .

The phrase 'you don't have a leg to stand on' and 'stand on your own two feet' best be eliminated out of concern for amputees.

And most importantly, leave 'dumb','ignorant' and 'stupid' out of your speech because some really are.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,718,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

First, Im a girl. Get it right.
Second, when the hell did I make fun of a retarded person?
For someone who claims to be educated, you're apparently as thick as a post when it comes to how your own "irreverence" is blatantly disrespectful.

When you use the word retarded, as you have, you're using it to describe someone, or something as if to infer it is "defective" or "substandard". Along with it, whether you "intend" to or not, you've insulted those less fortunate that happen to have some form of retardation.

Being irreverent is one thing, it can be quite entertaining. And believe me, you have nothing on me in that department. However, no amount of irreverence is acceptable when in its path is blatant disrespect of those less fortunate. It's classless, rude and common. The behavior of the ill cultured.

I suggest you read the comments of those here who parent special needs children. Shouldn't that be enough for you to take a step back? I mean is it really worth it if those comments offend in that manner?

All things, including irreverence, have their limits.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,419,374 times
Default newspeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Rosa's Law Asks Senate To Kill Slur Mentally Retarded
How gay, get over it. People are too sensitive. Redskins, eskimo, oriental, indians, etc. Before we know it, someone will be telling us not to use man-made and man-kind as it is somehow sexist.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 PM

51,184 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Fascinating stuff from the same the guy who has to call Obama by his middle name as if to infer he's a terrorist.

Pretty lame.
And pretty stupid. I know two people whose first names are Hussein and neither one is a terrorist. One of them was born in Brooklyn of Egyptian parents. Not sure about the other.

I bet you anything that poster doesn't personally know one single Muslim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies