U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:25 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,597,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, no. It's Republicans who believe in pure Darwinism with no government intervention; Democrats understand that a humane society helps those who need it.
There is a difference between a humane society helping each other out of kindness and charity and a government who taxes under penalty of imprisonment to achieve their agenda using somebody elses dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 03:42 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,836,441 times
The thing is Americans are generous people. If there was a way that people could donate on-line to a reputable and honest organization that provided food to needy children in the United States, people would donate. I often find that there is a huge willingness to help people but scam artists have ruined that.

If someone knows of such an organization that does, provide it here. My advice is to find people in the community to help. I'm sure there are people you work with or know that need help. Do your part and offer any assistance you can. A lot of people especially the poor are proud and honest folk who don't want hand-outs even though they need help. Get past that and offer them help.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 PM

18,107 posts, read 16,448,492 times
And yet childhood obesity is a pandemic.
I was getting ready to start my yearly contributions to the Salvation Army/ Toys For Tots/ Red Cross, etc. I already donated some money for sending care packages to kids overseas. But then a discussion on local talk radio made me think long and hard.
Local charities/ food banks/ Christmas wish lists groups for kids are overburdened and in need of help. A huge reason these kids are in need of food and clothing and toys this winter is because their parents are losers. They might have one parent, the mom. Or maybe the dad works and the mother is on welfare but the dad doesn't support the kids.Or one parent is in jail. Or they can't speak english well enough to get a job. Or they blow their money on cell phones and stereos and big screen tvs, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, clothes for themselves, bling jewelry, cars. We have a failing city with increasing crime and uneducated nitwits who burden the school system with kids who can't speak english or or only come to school to fight.
I used to get a warm feeling from giving thinking that I am making a difference trying to help somebody who needs it. But now I give and have this gnawing doubt that even if I help some unfortunate child, who isn't to blame for his situation, I have some yutz sitting back thinking that somebody else should be responsible for looking out for their progeny or themselves. I still give because I don't want to stop thinking that we should all try to help others if we can.
But we will soon, and VERY SOON, come to a point where the government will be unable to support the freeloaders and will either cut them loose or try to gouge everybody even more to support them and you'll have a revolt. Either way things will get nasty.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM

29,112 posts, read 18,380,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
Well the have-nots better become self resourceful and learn how to become the haves.
The "have-nots" will become resourceful and if left disparate enough, will simply steal from the "haves". Is this solution satisfactory for you?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
There is a difference between a humane society helping each other out of kindness and charity and a government who taxes under penalty of imprisonment to achieve their agenda using somebody elses dollar.
This is always the excuse of the selfish!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You can cook your own meals that are far healthier and cheaper than fast food IF you take the time to plan the meals correctly and shop for good buys.

The problem is like most of these issues is that requires too much responsibility that a person is willing to take.
Quote:
Healthy, affordable food frequently hard to find for poor
Quote:
A recent state-commissioned study shows many low-income families, particularly in rural areas, have limited access to healthy food.

While 35 of the state’s 64 parishes are considered rural, people in many urban areas also fight to find healthy, affordable food. Residents in Old South Baton Rouge, between LSU and downtown, have been trying for years to get a neighborhood grocery.
2theadvocate.com | News | Healthy, affordable food frequently hard to find for poor — Baton Rouge, LA

Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,169,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The "have-nots" will become resourceful and if left disparate enough, will simply steal from the "haves". Is this solution satisfactory for you?
no i really think that would be stupid and fail

Old 11-18-2009, 04:37 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,705,435 times
*Devils advocate*

Don't have babies you can't afford to feed, I never understood the act of pumping out offspring when you aren't capable of caring for them. Take some responsibility, condom or don't copulate.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,597,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is always the excuse of the selfish!

I'll bet my charitible donation is bigger than yours.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
*Devils advocate*

Don't have babies you can't afford to feed, I never understood the act of pumping out offspring when you aren't capable of caring for them. Take some responsibility, condom or don't copulate.
Could it be possible that a family was well off when they had children but later lost their jobs due to the economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies