U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:52 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,553,518 times

Advertisements

The hospital where my son spends a lot of time due to his cerebral palsy posted this link on their Facebook page today, can anyone help me out in making sense of this?

Children's hospitals object to proposed funding reductions - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,596,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
The hospital where my son spends a lot of time due to his cerebral palsy posted this link on their Facebook page today, can anyone help me out in making sense of this?

Children's hospitals object to proposed funding reductions - USATODAY.com

Don't blame me. I voted for the old rich white guy.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:08 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Nope. It's not full of detail is it?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 PM

5,160 posts, read 6,609,262 times
Quite simple. Part of the cuts listed in the different healthcare reform proposals are for cuts in Medicaid, particularly for hospitals, homecare agencies and nursing homes. Pediatric hospitals are reliant on Medicaid to help pay the bills, particularly for those kids diagnosed with cancer as their insurance quickly runs out. Longterm home care or outpatient therapies will be in danger for cuts as well.

Half a trillion in cuts won't go unnoticed.

Also, Medicaid doesn't cover all of the costs (it reimburses less than private insurance) so the govt was giving extra payment to hospitals who served a higher number of medicaid and uninsured patients to help the hospital make up for the difference in payment from medicaid compared to private insurance.

Last edited by NSHL10; 11-18-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 08:30 PM

19,183 posts, read 27,734,523 times
As part of health care reform negotiations, hospitals as a whol agreed to give up $155 billion in charges to Medciare/Medicaid. These aren't cuts in services, they are cuts in the unit-cost of services. In theory, the hospitals make that up and more by having all these new people with insurance who are likely to become paying, rather than non-paying, patients. But if the cuts in payments are distributed equally across all hospitals, children's hopsitals will be hit with a double-whammy. First, they serve a lot of kids on Medicaid, so the cost cuts will hit them especially hard. Second, kids are the group most likely to be insured after those over 65. Hence, children's hospitals aren't going to be getting such a big windfall out of all these newly insured people. They probably have a point, and their case and that of other similarly impacted hospitals should probably be looked at in an attempt to equalize the cost-benefit ratios across all hospitals...

Old 11-19-2009, 06:06 AM

Also remember that there will be a three year delay between the reduced fees/service cuts (immediately on passing the bill) and when the uninsured will be getting their insurance (2013). How will a hospital keep staffing levels the same while they are losing money for 3 years? Expect layoffs and dimished quality of care.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,732,531 times
If those cuts are actually in whatever final bill gets enacted, they would not take effect until 2017. This would allow for mid course correction by Congress if the Reform bill objectives of coverage expansion, hence payments, to these institutions does not meet expectations. Bottom line, these institutions will NOT be degraded by any Reform bill. Of course there are some that take pleasure in trying to make people fearful.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 AM

Setting the world straight, one poster at a time. Excellent job, FB...

Old 11-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If those cuts are actually in whatever final bill gets enacted, they would not take effect until 2017. This would allow for mid course correction by Congress if the Reform bill objectives of coverage expansion, hence payments, to these institutions does not meet expectations. Bottom line, these institutions will NOT be degraded by any Reform bill. Of course there are some that take pleasure in trying to make people fearful.
Which cuts are you referring to? The overall cuts in services or just the extra payments to hospitals overseerving the poor and medicaid recipients?

I haven't seen any analysis of the Senate bill stating that cuts will start in 2017. All I've read is the dollar amount expected to be cut over a 10 year period. Do you have any links stating when the cuts, particularly to home care, are to start?

BTW I don't really appreciate the accusation that I enjoy making people fearful. I'm tired of being fearful of losing my job, career and profession and being warned about it almost everyday by advisors that my hospital employs to try to stay ahead of these reform bills. If you have some specific information on how these cuts will be carried out backed with links, feel free to post them.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
If you have some specific information on how these cuts will be carried out backed with links, feel free to post them.
In a statement, House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif., said many lawmakers "were very concerned about the potential negative impact of reducing payments to safety-net hospitals." He said the cuts, if approved, would not take effect until 2017. "This will give the Congress time to re-evaluate and make a midcourse correction" if necessary.

That much was in the article linked to in the OP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies