U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 PM

33,949 posts, read 32,406,129 times

Advertisements

If they think that, why do they keep moving down here? How stupid are the people up north who keep voting for people who make them not able to afford to live in a place they like so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 PM

2,316 posts, read 6,699,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Moderator cut: see comment I'm one of the first defending the South and showing how the plight of Blacks in the North historically was far from being a picnic. You're just looking for some platform for feigned righteous indignation so you can disguise your own prejudices against everybody BUT White Southerners. You've already shown that you're more than willing to paint all Blacks with a broad brush despite your claim that you're not. You have a nice life and Moderator cut: see comment
I'd rep you for this, but I already repped you for another post, so it won't let me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
I would like for one of you to come out and really say what you mean then. Because so far what you are saying isn't really adding up. Do you believe WHITE southerners are genetically inferior to the rest of the country .....YES or NO? And please for once answer my other questions I have brought up as well.
Here, in the context of all your other posts, you seem to be saying that white Southerners are superior to everyone else. Hmm. That's your angle, isn't it? I'm glad you are NOT representative of the majority of Southerners, regardless of their race or ethnicity.

Last edited by Bo; 11-20-2009 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Updated quote to match original.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,857,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Here, in the context of all your other posts, you seem to be saying that white Southerners are superior to everyone else. Hmm. That's your angle, isn't it? I'm glad you are NOT representative of the majority of Southerners, regardless of their race or ethnicity.
EXACTLY. Glad I'm not the only one that sees the foolishness and calls him/her out on it.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:18 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,864,730 times
I don't know if other parts of country have much room to talk when it comes to racial tolerance and acceptance. There's definitely subtle but pervasive racism in other parts of the country that differs in kind and intensity but is still very insidious...

Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,254,149 times
There are some things that were more common in the South though. The majority of lynchings occurred in the South and the vast majority of blacks lynched were in the South. Non-Southern states that seem to have lynched blacks (plural) from 1882 to 1968 include

California - 2 blacks
Illinois - 19 (higher than the number of whites lynched)
Indiana - 14
Iowa - 2
Kansas 19
Minnesota - 4
Missouri - 69 (More than the number of whites, although Missouri was at times considered Southern)
Montana - 2
Nebraska - 5
New Mexico - 3
North Dakota - 3
Ohio - 16 (More than the number of whites they lynched)
Pennsylvania - 6 (More than the number of whites lynched)
Utah - 2
Wyoming - 5

Lynching Statistics

Virginia, at 83, seems to be the lowest of the Southern states and is above all those non-Southern states. Tennessee's total is higher than all those non-Southern states combined.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 AM

51,333 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If they think that, why do they keep moving down here? How stupid are the people up north who keep voting for people who make them not able to afford to live in a place they like so much?
That's a no-brainer. It's warmer in the south.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,774,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
What are you guys talking about? Its you southerners who obsess over race. Not one northerner has brought up race at all.

Ill say it again: I DONT LIKE THE SOUTH BECAUSE OF WHAT IT IS NOW.
Its so easy for you to focus on race, because it gives you an easy differal to "nothern hypocrisy in the 60s".
I can tell you unequivically that the primary reason we dont like the south has nothing to do with that.
Its because Southerners push negative trends in everything- politics, and even media and city- into mainstream, and into power because you unthinkingly embrace positions you clearly dont educate yourselves on.

The whole title of this thread is nonsense- why you are so misunderstood. Have you ever once asked yourself if the South wasnt misunderstood at all? What if we understood it, and just didnt like it?
You have absolutely NO idea what you are blabbering about.

And I'll repeat the question asked earlier. Just exactly who is this WE you speak of? Are you so delusional to think that you speak for the entire Northern section of the country?

Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM

7,413 posts, read 7,836,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You have absolutely NO idea what you are blabbering about.

And I'll repeat the question asked earlier. Just exactly who is this WE you speak of? Are you so delusional to think that you speak for the entire Northern section of the country?
You've got to admit that the perception of the South is pretty negative by most Americans. The movies, books, politicians, evangelicals all portray a region alien to many people & mocking the South is commonplace [justified or not].

Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 AM

5,648 posts, read 13,607,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
On the other hand, Ben Around, the major NE media tended to downplay their own racial problems. Or ignore them completely. The South has always been the preferred "whipping boy" for self-righteous northern politicians and media. And it was easy to do, since most of them never had to confront it.

For one reason, there were very few blacks (comparatively speaking) in the North and West as compared to the South (defined for this purpose as the 11 Old Confederate states and border states which had "Jim Crow" laws). But they not need kid themselves. Segregation of the type in the North (defined as non-Southern states) was every bit as prevelant as that in the South. De facto vis a vis De jure. The major difference was that Southerners were just less hypocritical about it all.

When they did? It became the very epitome of hypocricy. Suddenly, all those who previously favored every federal measure aimed at the South, put their mouths and agenda's in reverse. Forced busing was a great idea...when it was confined to the South. When it became otherwise? Well, there is Pontiac, Michigan and South Boston, Massachusetts. Many northern whites fled to the suburbs and/or stuck their own kids in private schools rather than live up to the example they piously proclaimed should be the attitude of Southerners.

Herman Talmadge of Georgia once recalled (in his memoirs) how when he introduced a resolution to treat, for the purposes of forced busing, that de-facto and de-jure segregation be treated the same? That almost all of the northern congressmen hemmed and hawed....wrung their hands...made feeble excuses....and eventually voted against it. As Talmadge said: I knew it wouldn't pass. I just wanted to force them to go on record as being the self-righteous hypocrites they really were."

Anyway, Dr. King once said "if you want to teach a white Southerner how to hate, send him to Chicago." And Andrew Young -- in the documentary "Eyes on the Prize II" -- said he never felt so scared for his safety in the South as in the North.
You bring up some valid points, Tex, but for many Northerners, the difference was that racism was INSTITUTIONALIZED in the South--it was the law of the land there. While many urban whites were racist, the majority did not lobby for laws requiring separation of the races. You see that as hypocracy, I see it as the prevailing of the sensible. Also, the problems wrought in the North and the South by the black underclass can be traced back to slavery and Jim Crow. Take a look at Canada. They did not allow slavery in their country. Today they have nowhere near the social pathology among their nation's black community that the US has among ours.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:38 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,807,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
You bring up some valid points, Tex, but for many Northerners, the difference was that racism was INSTITUTIONALIZED in the South--it was the law of the land there. While many urban whites were racist, the majority did not lobby for laws requiring separation of the races. You see that as hypocracy, I see it as the prevailing of the sensible. Also, the problems wrought in the North and the South by the black underclass can be traced back to slavery and Jim Crow. Take a look at Canada. They did not allow slavery in their country. Today they have nowhere near the social pathology among their nation's black community that the US has among ours.
However, racism was extremely bad up north as well. Lots of northerners love to ignore the fact that they also had racism just as well as the south did.

I've heard some very horrific incidents that occurred in the north during the Civil Rights era. The south was just more blunt and out-loud about it; While the north tried to cover it up and act like it was a haven for freed blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies