U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-20-2009, 02:19 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 16,675,179 times
Reputation: 5697

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
1. They caused the deadliest war in American history
2. They're responsible for giving America one of its oldest and worst black eyes
3. They legally didn't give everyone equal treatment up until around 40 years ago (in a nation that was nearly 200 years old at the time)
4. They gave rise to the Klan
5. They still have the worst education system in America

anyone want to add?[/
*gulps humbly*

Sure, I do.

I will open with saying you are a clueless yankee idiot.

To follow up, I'd could sit on the damn pot in any outhouse in the South and still come up with better crap than you do.

What you know about the South, or history, would fit in in the same slop-buckets.

Bless yer heart, now, ya heah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM
 
39,077 posts, read 23,203,107 times
Reputation: 12158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe we could "begin to understand" if you would explain what you mean by the bolded sentence. Specifically, what are you trying to say here?

I have visited the south, but not spent enough time of any significance there to make a judgement about the south overall. However, I carry some of the same negative ideas as others because of the types of things that have happened to people I know while in the south that would not be acceptable here (New Jersey). Both of these incidents occurred within the past five years.

1. A white neighbor and her black husband, while driving to Florida, stopped for lunch at a restaurant in Virginia. After sitting there for a half hour and being ignored as if they didn't exist, they realized they were not going to be served, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

2. A black coworker visiting Georgia suggested to his also-black friends that they stop in a nearby coffee shop for lunch. His friends (Georgians) laughed and told him he wouldn't be served there. Being from the north, he decided to be stubborn and went in and sat down. Sure enough, he was treated as if he did not even exist. No one would answer him when he spoke.

This isn't anything to do with politics--it is racism in action, 1950's style and it's apparently OK with everyone else who patronizes these businesses. Now these are just two incidents I know of personally in recent years, and I'm sure that you can give me thousands of examples of the opposite, but still--to answer your question--people hear stories like this and you'd better believe they are going to "misunderstand" the south.

A friend and I decided to go bowling one evening in Minneapolis, MN. Upon entering the bowling alley, we discovered there were no other white people in the place. A black man behind the counter told us we'd better leave right away, they didn't want any violence.

Racism is everywhere. It happens all the time, all over the country, all over the world. When you hear my story, you think, isolated incident. But when it's your stories, then it's a way of life.

So not true.

No one is saying that there isn't racism in the South. But it is no more the norm in the South, then racism is the norm in any other part of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Alvarado, TX
2,914 posts, read 4,160,444 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
*gulps humbly*

Sure, I do.

I will open with saying you are a clueless yankee idiot.

To follow up, I'd could sit on the damn pot in any outhouse in the South and still come up with better crap than you do.

What you know about the South, or history, would fit in in the same slop-buckets.

Bless yer heart, now, ya heah?
As I just posted on another Southern-bashing thread:

"Strange how culture talks soon become an opportunity for Yankees, liberals, west-coasters and other reprobates to bash the South. While I currently live in a marginally southern state (Texas), when the yakking starts up I'm reminded of a statement I once heard. Do you know the difference between Yankees and hemorrhoids? They both come down for a while, raise hell with their benefactors, cause much pain and aggravation, but at least eventually the hemorrhoids go back up. I can insert other terms for Yankees, like liberals, west-coasters, democrats, etc., but I usually don't have to. The significance is understood. The only "ignorant" ones in this discussion are the ones who have never lived in the South, have no family in the South, or who have been liberalized by their so-called educations outside the South. More power to ya. Read my byline, it is exactly how I feel. So there. Pffffffffffft!"

Funny thing, no one but the mod has even commented on it. Ya outta school today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM
 
39,077 posts, read 23,203,107 times
Reputation: 12158
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
What are you guys talking about? Its you southerners who obsess over race. Not one northerner has brought up race at all.

Ill say it again: I DONT LIKE THE SOUTH BECAUSE OF WHAT IT IS NOW.
Its so easy for you to focus on race, because it gives you an easy differal to "nothern hypocrisy in the 60s".
I can tell you unequivically that the primary reason we dont like the south has nothing to do with that.
Its because Southerners push negative trends in everything- politics, and even media and city- into mainstream, and into power because you unthinkingly embrace positions you clearly dont educate yourselves on.

The whole title of this thread is nonsense- why you are so misunderstood. Have you ever once asked yourself if the South wasnt misunderstood at all? What if we understood it, and just didnt like it?
And if someone said I DON'T LIKE ENGLAND BECAUSE OF THE WAY IT IS NOW, you would think how stupid a remark. As if everyone in England thinks and acts the same way. As if there were no diversity there. As if the cultural contributions England has made to the world have no value.

But you think it's okay to say that about the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM
 
207 posts, read 275,149 times
Reputation: 160
I won't be posting for the next couple of days because I am going out of town. However, I took some time during work today to scim through some of the comments that went up between now and when I went to bed last night. It seems that the liberals on here are missing a bunch of key points that I keep having to point out over and over. So I am going to reiterate them one last time below as well as point out a few new things.

1) In order for racism to exist, you have to have more than one race living in the same area. It isn't fair if you live in a town in Maine that is 100% white for you to accuse someone like me who has lived around blacks my whole life down South, of being "racist".

The fact of the matter is that racism exists everywhere in the world. Just read the news each day. If you look anywhere in the world where you have more than one ethnic group rubbing shoulders, you are going to have racism. This is how it is around the world as well as within our very own country. Stop acting as if racism is unique to the South.

The only people in the world who seem to want to believe that everybody can join hands and live peacefully, are delusional white liberals who live in exclusively white areas of Europe, Canada, and America. You have no business accusing everyone else of being racist, when you only live around other whites. How are you any better than the rest of us?

2) I have noticed that some of you are saying stuff like "blacks and hispanics vote democrat and therefore they aren't racist like white southerners are".

You don't seem to understand why minorities vote Democrat to begin with. It is basically because they know they will get free handouts without having to work for anything (most of them at least).

Most minorities, DO NOT agree with white liberals on homosexuality and this ridiculous concept of living peacefully with all other peoples on the planet. Go to L.A. and see how the hispanics and blacks treat each other there.

3) I have seen some of you comment on how "it is only uneducated whites who vote Republican".

Are you implying that most blacks and hispanics who vote Democrat are somehow sophisticated???????

4) I think white liberals misuse the term "racism". Seriously, what is your definition of racism?

To me, racism is hating a group because of their skin color. This is something that I most certainly DO NOT advocate, and I am tired of people on here accusing me of this. And I most certainly would NEVER advocate harming someone just because they are of another race.

However, I think it is completely innocent for whites in the South to choose to only live around other whites if that is what they so desire. People who have never lived around blacks and hispanics have no concept whatsoever about how those two groups (in general) can totally destroy a school or a neighborhood. You can sit on here and call me racist all you want to for simply pointing out the truth.

If you ask me, I think it is very hateful for you, sitting up in your 100% white towns in Maine and Minnesota, while you enforce integration and affirmative action policies on the rest of us who live around large numbers of minorities.

5) Again, I am saying "mostly". I am not saying ALL people of one ethnic group act a certain way. I am saying "most".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: East Chicago, IN
2,757 posts, read 2,603,744 times
Reputation: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
I won't be posting for the next couple of days because I am going out of town. However, I took some time during work today to scim through some of the comments that went up between now and when I went to bed last night. It seems that the liberals on here are missing a bunch of key points that I keep having to point out over and over. So I am going to reiterate them one last time below as well as point out a few new things.

1) In order for racism to exist, you have to have more than one race living in the same area. It isn't fair if you live in a town in Maine that is 100% white for you to accuse someone like me who has lived around blacks my whole life down South, of being "racist".

The fact of the matter is that racism exists everywhere in the world. Just read the news each day. If you look anywhere in the world where you have more than one ethnic group rubbing shoulders, you are going to have racism. This is how it is around the world as well as within our very own country. Stop acting as if racism is unique to the South.

The only people in the world who seem to want to believe that everybody can join hands and live peacefully, are delusional white liberals who live in exclusively white areas of Europe, Canada, and America. You have no business accusing everyone else of being racist, when you only live around other whites. How are you any better than the rest of us?

2) I have noticed that some of you are saying stuff like "blacks and hispanics vote democrat and therefore they aren't racist like white southerners are".

You don't seem to understand why minorities vote Democrat to begin with. It is basically because they know they will get free handouts without having to work for anything (most of them at least).

Most minorities, DO NOT agree with white liberals on homosexuality and this ridiculous concept of living peacefully with all other peoples on the planet. Go to L.A. and see how the hispanics and blacks treat each other there.

3) I have seen some of you comment on how "it is only uneducated whites who vote Republican".

Are you implying that most blacks and hispanics who vote Democrat are somehow sophisticated???????

4) I think white liberals misuse the term "racism". Seriously, what is your definition of racism?

To me, racism is hating a group because of their skin color. This is something that I most certainly DO NOT advocate, and I am tired of people on here accusing me of this. And I most certainly would NEVER advocate harming someone just because they are of another race.

However, I think it is completely innocent for whites in the South to choose to only live around other whites if that is what they so desire. People who have never lived around blacks and hispanics have no concept whatsoever about how those two groups (in general) can totally destroy a school or a neighborhood. You can sit on here and call me racist all you want to for simply pointing out the truth.

If you ask me, I think it is very hateful for you, sitting up in your 100% white towns in Maine and Minnesota, while you enforce integration and affirmative action policies on the rest of us who live around large numbers of minorities.

5) Again, I am saying "mostly". I am not saying ALL people of one ethnic group act a certain way. I am saying "most".

Oh, I shall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,803 posts, read 11,753,897 times
Reputation: 5408
For the record, I should state that this shouldn't be a discussion about liberal vs. conservative.

For instance, I have lived the majority of my life (summers in New York as a kid and living abroad for 3 years for work) in the South, love grits, love corn bread, holds doors for women, says "ma'am", and can't imagine living in any other part of the country for any lengthy period of time.

On the other hand I' believe abortion should be legal and left for women to decide, hate guns, hate fishing, hate camping even more, lived in the city my entire life (Atlanta) and could never live anywhere where there wasn't concrete or bums, I'm half black and asian, speak 4 languages (can't write them so well), eat sushi at least 4 times a week (minimum), Im pretty far left politically (both socially and economically), I've voted for Socialist and Communist Party candidates but mostly Democratic Party, and would rather cut my hands off before I vote republican.

All of this and I love the south with every inch of my heart.

People shouldn't be so quick to judge and stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 03:43 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 16,675,179 times
Reputation: 5697
Default An apology...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
*gulps humbly*

Sure, I do.

I will open with saying you are a clueless yankee idiot.

To follow up, I'd could sit on the damn pot in any outhouse in the South and still come up with better crap than you do.

What you know about the South, or history, would fit in in the same slop-buckets.

Bless yer heart, now, ya heah?
I don't usually quote myself, but I DO want to apologize to others for the way I replied to the "points" laid out by another poster. I admit and confess, I could have used other words to express the total and absolute contempt I have for someone who has not a clue about Texas/South, or our history.

I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 03:46 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,803 posts, read 11,753,897 times
Reputation: 5408
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I don't usually quote myself, but I DO want to apologize to others for the way I replied to the "points" laid out by another poster. I admit and confess, I could have used other words to express the total and absolute contempt I have for someone who has not a clue about Texas/South, or our history.

I apologize.
I don't know, it was pretty funny to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 03:55 PM
 
7,341 posts, read 9,009,225 times
Reputation: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
As I just posted on another Southern-bashing thread:

"Strange how culture talks soon become an opportunity for Yankees, liberals, west-coasters and other reprobates to bash the South. While I currently live in a marginally southern state (Texas), when the yakking starts up I'm reminded of a statement I once heard. Do you know the difference between Yankees and hemorrhoids? They both come down for a while, raise hell with their benefactors, cause much pain and aggravation, but at least eventually the hemorrhoids go back up. I can insert other terms for Yankees, like liberals, west-coasters, democrats, etc., but I usually don't have to. The significance is understood. The only "ignorant" ones in this discussion are the ones who have never lived in the South, have no family in the South, or who have been liberalized by their so-called educations outside the South. More power to ya. Read my byline, it is exactly how I feel. So there. Pffffffffffft!"

Funny thing, no one but the mod has even commented on it. Ya outta school today?
Such vitriol, especially from one whose moniker is " let the good times roll"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top