U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:18 PM
 
39,146 posts, read 23,343,097 times
Reputation: 12172

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are denying that its history and culture doesn't impact the South today. You want to pretend the South is just like the rest of the country with regard to its attitudes towards race and religion. You are denying the South is more intolerant than the rest of the country.
Nope, not denying that the history doesn't impact the South of today. Nope, don't believe that the South is just like the rest of the country in a multitude of ways. Yep, denying that people who live in the South are more intolerant. You are the VERY BEST example of my argument. You think that your intolerance is okay, but other people's intolerance is not okay, when the argument against intolerance is that ALL intolerance is a bad thing.

If someone is intolerant against Jews, their intolerance isn't better than another person's intolerance against Blacks. If someone can't admit that the stereotypes they have about Hispanics are really about demeaning Hispanics and not about describing individual Hispanics, then they are bigoted. If you continue to think you are better than people who live in the South because of stereotypes you choose to believe in, then you are bigoted. Intolerance and prejudice are the bad guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 25,357,303 times
Reputation: 14511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
So your point is that jews are anti-black? Got it.
lol.

see what I mean?

You can't have an honest discussion with somebody who has an agenda, and that's why this thread has been a trainwreck; you have all sorts of outsiders who have an agenda against white southerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:24 PM
 
900 posts, read 519,570 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Mayberry was a fictional place, Angus. The Andy Griffith show was created by a Chicago Jew and a New york Jew, at CBS, which is HQ'ed in New York City. It was filmed in California.

as far as SEC football goes, I have seen plenty of black folks in the stands, and I've been going to games my whole life. True they are underrepresented in the stands, but I would bet that's due to economics, not racism.


This thread has been a trainwreck. I will just say this - I agree with an earlier poster who asserts that people who live in overwhelmingly white areas of the north (or west coast) have no leg to stand on when criticizing the south.

In the south, blacks have legitimate reasons to resent whites, and whites have legitimate reasons to resent blacks. It is a testament to both humankind and the American system that after all the southern U.S. has been through, the wheels are still turning at all, and most of us get along just fine as individuals.
I'm sorry, people in the north and west started a Civil War when?

Well, I can see why black people in the south have a legitimate reason to resent whites. I mean, being bought and sold for 200 years and then being victimized by Jim Crow for another hundred might **** anybody off.

I'm failing to see why white southerners would resent blacks, however.

Is it because they now have to actually pay people to pick their cotton and clean up after them? Admittedly that is a terrible burden for white southerners to bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 25,357,303 times
Reputation: 14511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
I'm failing to see why white southerners would resent blacks, however.

And that is why you have no leg to stand on in your argument.

It's clear to anyone with any sense whatsoever that black southerners have a legitimate reason to resent white southerners.

It is apparent to a much smaller group of people that white southerners have a legitimate reason to resent black southerners.

Somehow, this type of equality upsets people, and causes accusations of racism. Which relates back to the topic, "Why the south is so incredibly misunderstood." There seems to be this bizarre misconception that modern-day white southerners have somehow benefited from slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: USA - midwest
5,945 posts, read 4,739,813 times
Reputation: 2606
Default Why the South is so incredibly misunderstood...

They talk funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Florence, SC
96 posts, read 113,287 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
I'm sorry, people in the north and west started a Civil War when?

Well, I can see why black people in the south have a legitimate reason to resent whites. I mean, being bought and sold for 200 years and then being victimized by Jim Crow for another hundred might **** anybody off.

I'm failing to see why white southerners would resent blacks, however.

Is it because they now have to actually pay people to pick their cotton and clean up after them? Admittedly that is a terrible burden for white southerners to bear.
why don't you move to the south for awhile and find out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Southeast
4,296 posts, read 6,141,122 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis
Southerners use the 'n' word without inhibition.
In the past decade of living in the South, the only time I heard the 'n' word was on an episode of South Park..

[/quote]- football and basketball are the most important things in the world.[/quote]

I concede this point.. Football is an obsession for most people, not just in the South. Although, it seems like college football gains a lot more attention among grown adults here in the South than it does in other parts of the country.

Quote:
- grown men that emotionally are like 10 year old boys. Shaved heads, buzz cuts, macho struts, behavior (all signs of immaturity and insecurity).
I fail to see why in your opinion males need long hair and walk around hunched over to be considered mature, but whatever..

Quote:
- not much culturally (film, art, literature, music, etc.). TV and radio lacking in anything to stimulate the mind.
Considering that rock, jazz, blues, country, and bluegrass all came from the South, I do understand how you can claim there is no music. Elvis was from Mississippi, Johnny Cash was from Arkansas. As for literature, one of the most well known American authors, Mark Twain, was from the South. Have you heard of Kate Chopin? William Faulkner? Surely you have heard of Margaret Mitchell?? Flannery O'Connor? Harper Lee??? All were from the South.

And lol at any idea of TV stimulating the mind.

Quote:
- belligerent religion.
These are the stereotypes. I've also met people who are unlike the stereotypes.
Stereotypes, or your own prejudices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 16,931,098 times
Reputation: 9880
Frankie

Did you just delete a post in response to Angus because I remember you arguing the North started the Civil War? If you did, that was smart on your behalf to recognize your mistake and delete your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,970 posts, read 51,106,585 times
Reputation: 61024
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
Are Japanese people supposed to feel bad for their racism? Are they supposed to feel guilty for having "the upper hand" for most of their history in Japan?
They should, considering the way they treat the Ainu, the indigenous people of Japan. Thanks for bringing that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Southeast
4,296 posts, read 6,141,122 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Did you just delete a post in response to Angus because I remember you arguing the North started the Civil War? If you did, that was smart on your behalf to recognize your mistake and delete your post.
Actually I removed it for the other part of the post, but to paraphrase;

The North started the war when they invaded Northern Virginia in the Summer of 1861, after the failed Peace Conference and the events at Fort Sumter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top