U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:49 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,282,400 times
Reputation: 6657

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
What are you guys talking about? Its you southerners who obsess over race. Not one northerner has brought up race at all.

Ill say it again: I DONT LIKE THE SOUTH BECAUSE OF WHAT IT IS NOW.
Its so easy for you to focus on race, because it gives you an easy differal to "nothern hypocrisy in the 60s".
I can tell you unequivically that the primary reason we dont like the south has nothing to do with that.
Its because Southerners push negative trends in everything- politics, and even media and city- into mainstream, and into power because you unthinkingly embrace positions you clearly dont educate yourselves on.

The whole title of this thread is nonsense- why you are so misunderstood. Have you ever once asked yourself if the South wasnt misunderstood at all? What if we understood it, and just didnt like it?
Or it's possible you don't understand it, but that if you did you still wouldn't like it.

Although really disliking a whole region is rather narrow-minded and silly. Granted it's no different than disliking New England for similar reasons, but in the case of the South I'd say it's a bit worse as New England at least does give the appearance of having become monolithic in its liberalism. The South is clearly not monolithic in conservatism and never was really. There are college towns in North Carolina and Georgia that are pretty liberal. There's also the black population, which is maybe not liberal but tends not to vote Republican.

That might sound like I'm saying it's therefore okay for me to see New England as a source of negative trends in the media and politics, but I don't necessarily do so. It's true that all of New England is represented by Democrats, but that wasn't always true and they still have some towns that might be conservative or moderate. Piscataquis County, Maine went for McCain. Shelton, Connecticut went for McCain. New Hampshire reportedly still has some conservative places. Salem, New Hampshire went for McCain by a 9% margin (54 to 45) and all but one of its representatives in the state legislature appear to be Republican. James Langevin is a Pro-Life Democrat in Rhode Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:26 PM
 
207 posts, read 275,208 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
Ill be totally honest for the sake of this post, Im really not trying to be negative-
Im from Massachusetts, Ive spent extensive time in the south, and I think that the South is way behind in many, many ways (excluding a few, select places). I find many southerners to be ignorant, and supportive of ideologies that are highly destuctive for our society, and for others around the world- like the hundreds of thousands who have died in Iraq since 2003.
I find most of the south to be crime ridden, and that southern states do little compared to northern states to help poor people- making their problems worse.
I find southern cities often tend to extremes between extremely sterile and often gated- to extremely dangerous and filthy.
I hate the car culture/sprawl way of life.

I know I'm being negative- but Im just being honest about how I feel. Its not the south per se,but trends that are/have been going on there for some time.

And btw, I really dont mind being considered a Communist Massachusetts liberal.
This is the attitude I don't like. Why do Northern liberal whites despise white southerners so much for things that the Third World is 10 times as guilty of? You claim we are backwards in how we mistreat women, yet you seem to have nothing against flooding this nation with arab Muslims who treat women like animals. You claim we are mean to homosexuals while most of the Third World has even lower opinions of homosexuals. You claim we are racist. Try going to Japan or China to see what real racism is.

I am sick of how you Northerners act as if WHITE southerners, and only WHITE southerners, are some how uniquely guilty of all the world's sins.

And why is it always Northerners from the whitest states up North who have such low opinions of southerners? As the original poster pointed out, how do you have any business lecturing us on race when most of you don't even live around any minority groups up where you are?

And also, as the original poster pointed out, a lot of the South's problems, that you northerners love attributing to southern WHITES, actually stems from our large minority populations (violence, bad schools etc...).

And why are you so quick to accuse us of these problems while ignoring the fact that EVERY area up North with the same amount of minority groups has the same amount of problems (try telling me the schools in New York City or Detroit are cranking out rocket scientists all day...give me a break).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 PM
 
207 posts, read 275,208 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The South is actually one LARGE part of America - 40% of the U.S. population lives in the South, or about 110 million people. By the way, the South (nor any region for that matter) doesn't think as a collective. Some people in the South may have an inflated (overflated?) ego, but most people don't. You might want to rethink the people you're associating with.

It's always amazing to me which people actually bring up the Civil War first, yet accuse southerners of "still fighting the war". It's funny.
40% ????? This is another case that can be made. Why does everyone else always want to live here? What percentage of that 40% are transplants? Yep, the South must be a horrid place all right. I am sick of getting bashed by northerners when so many of you move South. What hateful hypocrisy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:36 PM
 
207 posts, read 275,208 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe we could "begin to understand" if you would explain what you mean by the bolded sentence. Specifically, what are you trying to say here?

I have visited the south, but not spent enough time of any significance there to make a judgement about the south overall. However, I carry some of the same negative ideas as others because of the types of things that have happened to people I know while in the south that would not be acceptable here (New Jersey). Both of these incidents occurred within the past five years.

1. A white neighbor and her black husband, while driving to Florida, stopped for lunch at a restaurant in Virginia. After sitting there for a half hour and being ignored as if they didn't exist, they realized they were not going to be served, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

2. A black coworker visiting Georgia suggested to his also-black friends that they stop in a nearby coffee shop for lunch. His friends (Georgians) laughed and told him he wouldn't be served there. Being from the north, he decided to be stubborn and went in and sat down. Sure enough, he was treated as if he did not even exist. No one would answer him when he spoke.

This isn't anything to do with politics--it is racism in action, 1950's style and it's apparently OK with everyone else who patronizes these businesses. Now these are just two incidents I know of personally in recent years, and I'm sure that you can give me thousands of examples of the opposite, but still--to answer your question--people hear stories like this and you'd better believe they are going to "misunderstand" the south.
So you come up with two whopping stories? I am from Alabama and I NEVER see this sort of behavior. And something else that you northerners need to understand is that you have no business lecturing us on race when most of you don't even live around blacks. Perhaps sometimes there are legitimate reasons as to why whites in the South avoid blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 PM
 
207 posts, read 275,208 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course you haven't heard of these incidents unless you know the exact same people I know.

But no, I've not heard of people being allowed to not wait on/ignore customers in a restaurant because of their race in any other part of the country. However, when it happens in a place that specifically has a stereotype of that kind of behavior, it just reinforces the stereotype.

Your links are not comparable. NYC has had a number of violent racist incidents, especially involving the police. THAT happens everywhere, especially in big cities. And Pennsylvania is known for having more Klan activity than any other state.

The OP's question was why do people misunderstand the south, and I gave examples of possibly why that was. "But the north has bad things, too, neh neh neh" seems kind of childish and doesn't further the conversation.
After reading your post I must be missing something here. In the third paragraph you seem to be agreeing that racism exists everywhere, but then in your fourth paragraph you go back to your original argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:44 PM
 
207 posts, read 275,208 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
i'm from the south myself (north florida) and i gotta agree with cmo1984 when he says that the south is WAY behind (two exceptions being Florida and Texas). I would have to say that the south just doesn't (and likely never will) have the manpower nor the technology (and quite frankly nor the reason) to make any huge advancements (at least not yet). The South is what it's always been, primarily full of laid-back people who do what they like and like what they do and try to make a good impression on everyone. i would have to say that the south is in fact highly misunderstood and i think a lot of that has to do with the Civil Rights Movement of '64.
So you are saying that southerners are genetically inferior? White Southerners are descended from the founding stock of this nation. Most white northerners are descended from European immigrants who came over much later. Don't you DARE insult my people by saying we haven't created anything.

And once again you are ignoring demographic differences. It isn't fair to compare a part of the country that has large numbers of minority groups who do poorly in school and who have high crime rates to the parts of the country that lack that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
 
207 posts, read 275,208 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, you're right about the economy--I'd bet they'd take anyone's money these days! No, these incidents were maybe in the past five or six years, as I'd clearly stated.

But in the past, they most certainly were most prevalent in the south. That was exactly what those college students did back in the 1960's--walk through the south and sit at "white-only" lunch counters.

There was discrimination everywhere--still is--as well as segregation, by law or not, but the north didn't have white-only bathrooms and water fountains and restaurants blessed by state law.
You , and SO MANY northerners keep missing the point. What right do you have to compare a part of the country that was over 90% white at the time to a part of the country that was 40% black? How do you know that northerners wouldn't have been the same way towards blacks had they had to live around them constantly? Are you saying that white Northerners are some supreme group of humans who never sin? If you are going to put yourselves above white southerners then you best do the same with hispanics and blacks and all the nonwhites in the entire world. If you want to see true racism, go to a part of Asia or Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,878,979 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That might sound like I'm saying it's therefore okay for me to see New England as a source of negative trends in the media and politics, but I don't necessarily do so. It's true that all of New England is represented by Democrats, but that wasn't always true and they still have some towns that might be conservative or moderate. Piscataquis County, Maine went for McCain. Shelton, Connecticut went for McCain. New Hampshire reportedly still has some conservative places. Salem, New Hampshire went for McCain by a 9% margin (54 to 45) and all but one of its representatives in the state legislature appear to be Republican. James Langevin is a Pro-Life Democrat in Rhode Island.
You missed the most recent and glaring example of them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 09:08 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,878,979 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
Perhaps sometimes there are legitimate reasons as to why whites in the South avoid blacks.
Right, because all Blacks want to rob you and rape your women and force all of you to listen to Plies, wear grills, and do the stanky leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,489 posts, read 50,749,733 times
Reputation: 60512
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
So you come up with two whopping stories? I am from Alabama and I NEVER see this sort of behavior. And something else that you northerners need to understand is that you have no business lecturing us on race when most of you don't even live around blacks. Perhaps sometimes there are legitimate reasons as to why whites in the South avoid blacks.
Man oh man. Do all southerners do THIS? Take what someone writes out of context and purposely misinterpet what they say so you can get your preplanned screeching out?

I'll explain this one more time, please read slowly.

The OP complained specifically that the south was misunderstood. I clearly stated that I haven't been to the south that much, however, here are two stories that would NOT happen in NJ, but they happened to people I know and they specifically are true instances of what the south is stereotypes to be. THIS IS WHY THE SOUTH MAY BE MISUNDERSTOOD. HELLO? I'm sure there are non-racist, intelligent people in the south. But I've never met anyone who traveled to the south, came back and said, "Gee, those southerners sure are nice, or gee, those southerners sure are educated."

The stereotype of the south is that there is more pervasive racism than in other parts of the country. I'm not talking about lynchings or beatings or shootings. I'm talking about racism in every day life, and those incidents illustrate it.

I am being logical here, and instead of bothering to even answer the question I posed in that post, I keep getting emotional responses twisting what I said into something I didn't say.

I'm done. Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top