Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Another map for the "North is more racist than the South" crowd:

U.S States, by the date of repeal of anti-miscegenation laws--laws that made it illegal for interacial couples to marry

No laws passed Before 1887 1948 to 1967 12 June 1967Delaware is the only Northern/Western/Midwestern state that waited until 1967 to repeal anti-miscegenation laws or even have them in the first place (DC is gray and never had the racist law). It was actually the Supreme Court that forced the states to repeal the laws by declaring them unconstitutional in Loving v. Virginia. So theoretically blacks and whites still wouldn't be allowed to marry in some states if it wasn't for the Feds.

The Supreme Court re Loving v. Virginia :

"There is patently no legitimate overriding purpose independent of invidious racial discrimination which justifies this classification. The fact that Virginia prohibits only interracial marriages involving white persons demonstrates that the racial classifications must stand on their own justification, as measures designed to maintain White Supremacy."

Just the facts, just the facts...

It's sad that people glossed over this map. This is essentially a slam dunk against anyone who tries to argue otherwise. The South waited until 1967 before they allowed mixed race couples to marry. The map is on page 16 of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:12 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The number of serial killers, sex offenders and rapists are highest among Whites. Which statistics do you want to look at? We can always pick and choose statistics and then try to make a claim on that. And you are saying that whites poor treatment of Blacks in the South is justified because they were victims of Black crime first. Wow! It's statements like this that don't do the South justice.

Look at the NUMBER of crimes period. And count how many black-on-white crimes VERSUS white-on-black crimes.

That's how you compare.

I was not asking how many serial killers are white vs how many serial killers are black. I was not interested in serial killers but race-on-race crime. Or are you just NOT willing to admit it? I already know the answer.

At any rate, even if you WANT to compare the # of white serial killers vs # of black crimes....the latter is still more numerous.

Just look at the facts. Forget the reasons. I know the reasons as much as you...I've posted on such and read such all over the board. We understand there are complex issues under all that. It's been repeated over and over and overanalyzed without a single solution.

But, see how quickly you dismiss this topic. What are you afraid of? That you'll seem...."racist"?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
It's sad that people glossed over this map. This is essentially a slam dunk against anyone who tries to argue otherwise. The South waited until 1967 before they allowed mixed race couples to marry. The map is on page 16 of this thread.
And Oregon waited until the 1950's to let whites marry Black's, Filipino's, Asians, or Native Americans.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 AM

711 posts, read 932,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I grew up in the north, but live in the South since 8 years.
The South...
- Southerners use the 'n' word without inhibition.
- football and basketball are the most important things in the world.
- hardly any interest in the outside world.
- grown men that emotionally are like 10 year old boys. Shaved heads, buzz cuts, macho struts, behavior (all signs of immaturity and insecurity).
- not much culturally (film, art, literature, music, etc.). TV and radio lacking in anything to stimulate the mind.
- belligerent religion.
These are the stereotypes. I've also met people who are unlike the stereotypes.
No doubt some of the stereotypes are very true to life in the south--especially the inmature grown men part.

In some areas the south has a culture void in the permissiveness of motor vehicle laws and civility in general and the culture of the police in those areas goes hand in hand with the problem.(Barney Fife still lives).

As another poster has said the same things can be found in Zanesville etc. However IMO it is much more prevalent in the south thus much more visible.

I think you make some excellent points.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And Oregon waited until the 1950's to let whites marry Black's, Filipino's, Asians, or Native Americans.
Look at that map. Is it a coincidence that ALL of the Southern states waited until 1967 to legalize interracial marriages? I think you are in denial. Again, if anyone else is reading this, go to page 16 on this thread. It has a map showing which states took the longest to approve of interracial marriage. ALL of the Southern states, Missouri and Delaware waited until 1967.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
No doubt some of the stereotypes are very true to life in the south--especially the inmature grown men part.

In some areas the south has a culture void in the permissiveness of motor vehicle laws and civility in general and the culture of the police in those areas goes hand in hand with the problem.(Barney Fife still lives).

As another poster has said the same things can be found in Zanesville etc. However IMO it is much more prevalent in the south thus much more visible.

I think you make some excellent points.
Very true!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Look at that map. Is it a coincidence that ALL of the Southern states waited until 1967 to legalize interracial marriages? I think you are in denial. Again, if anyone else is reading this, go to page 16 on this thread. It has a map showing which states took the longest to approve of interracial marriage. ALL of the Southern states, Missouri and Delaware waited until 1967.
What am I denying? That the South was a major battleground for civil rights 50 years ago? I think I even said that in an earlier post. I think you are reading things into my posts that are not there, because you are so entrenched in your point of view. I'm not denying that racism exists and even thrives in pockets of the South. I'm just saying that racism exists and thrives in pockets throughout our country, North, South, East and West. You were the one who on another thread trumpeted that you didn't live in a racist place. It just seems like instead of being bigoted over race, you've chosen to be bigoted over regionalism. That doesn't seem particularly progressive to me. I tend to think leaving the bigotry in the past, accepting that each of us, whatever our skin tone, whatever our ethnicity, are individuals. Nobody actually fits any stereotypes 100%. And the South is a pretty big place. It has room for people that don't fit the stereotype you are promoting. There are liberals in the South, even in the rural South. There are people who are well-educated in the South. There are people who when they invite someone over to dinner are looking for good company and stimulating conversation, and that's all the qualification required. We aren't all Baptists, we aren't all Republicans. I know from reading your posts in other threads that you are to the right of me. I know from reading all your posts against the South, that I am more tolerant than you. So have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What am I denying? That the South was a major battleground for civil rights 50 years ago? I think I even said that in an earlier post. I think you are reading things into my posts that are not there, because you are so entrenched in your point of view. I'm not denying that racism exists and even thrives in pockets of the South. I'm just saying that racism exists and thrives in pockets throughout our country, North, South, East and West. You were the one who on another thread trumpeted that you didn't live in a racist place. It just seems like instead of being bigoted over race, you've chosen to be bigoted over regionalism. That doesn't seem particularly progressive to me. I tend to think leaving the bigotry in the past, accepting that each of us, whatever our skin tone, whatever our ethnicity, are individuals. Nobody actually fits any stereotypes 100%. And the South is a pretty big place. It has room for people that don't fit the stereotype you are promoting. There are liberals in the South, even in the rural South. There are people who are well-educated in the South. There are people who when they invite someone over to dinner are looking for good company and stimulating conversation, and that's all the qualification required. We aren't all Baptists, we aren't all Republicans. I know from reading your posts in other threads that you are to the right of me. I know from reading all your posts against the South, that I am more tolerant than you. So have a Happy Thanksgiving!
You are denying that its history and culture impacts the South today. You want to pretend those events occurred in a vacuum and that they don't shape the South today. You want to pretend the South is just like the rest of the country with regard to its attitudes towards race and religion. You are denying the South is more intolerant than the rest of the country. You are trying to argue that it's just "pockets" of racism in the South when we know that it goes beyond pockets and its integrated into its culture as evidenced by its recent history. For example it's not a coincidence that two leading opponents of the Civil Rights movement in Strom Thurmond and Jessie Helms were re-elected to the most powerful political positions in their states repeatedly and served until the beginning of this decade. That's right, they served until the early 2000's so to act like all of this is just in the past is a weak argument. Like I said, you are just in denial.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 11-24-2009 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Were there any black folks at all living in Mayberry? I never saw any, but maybe I wasn't watching at the right time. It's sort of like SEC football games. The only black faces I ever see when I watch them are the guys on the field. Apparently black people living in the South are not football fans.

Mayberry was a fictional place, Angus. The Andy Griffith show was created by a Chicago Jew and a New york Jew, at CBS, which is HQ'ed in New York City. It was filmed in California.

as far as SEC football goes, I have seen plenty of black folks in the stands, and I've been going to games my whole life. True they are underrepresented in the stands, but I would bet that's due to economics, not racism.

This thread has been a trainwreck. I will just say this - I agree with an earlier poster who asserts that people who live in overwhelmingly white areas of the north (or west coast) have no leg to stand on when criticizing the south.

In the south, blacks have legitimate reasons to resent whites, and whites have legitimate reasons to resent blacks. It is a testament to both humankind and the American system that after all the southern U.S. has been through, the wheels are still turning at all, and most of us get along just fine as individuals.

Last edited by le roi; 11-24-2009 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM

900 posts, read 672,846 times
So your point is that jews are anti-black? Got it.

I never see any black faces at SEC games, but of course the camera only shows the people in the good seats. If blacks constitute 30-40% of the population in some of these states (and about 90% of the players), shouldn't we be seeing a sea of black faces at these games? What I see always reminds me of a Sarah Palin rally - nothing but white faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies