U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 7,924,594 times

Advertisements

I am a very strong supporter of unions and especially appreciate the need for teachers to have a union when schools are impacted so much by local and national politics. So should the teacher have been fired? No, probably not. But that said, she showed darned bad judgement...darned bad. I'd be willing to bet that 85% of the students she teaches are on Facebook and probably 75% of those immediately look up their teachers on Facebook. So if she wants the student's respect...which is necessary if she is going to teach them...then what she did isn't a good way to go about getting it. I just hope she didn't "friend" any of them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,103,389 times
If teachers are allowed to strike, then doctors should be allowed to organize and strike, also. Physicians should be afforded the same organizational privileges as policemen, firefighters, and teachers,...in every state.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 PM

7,047 posts, read 6,176,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I am a very strong supporter of unions and especially appreciate the need for teachers to have a union when schools are impacted so much by local and national politics. So should the teacher have been fired? No, probably not. But that said, she showed darned bad judgement...darned bad. I'd be willing to bet that 85% of the students she teaches are on Facebook and probably 75% of those immediately look up their teachers on Facebook. So if she wants the student's respect...which is necessary if she is going to teach them...then what she did isn't a good way to go about getting it. I just hope she didn't "friend" any of them.
excellent post. one of my daughters is a teacher and wouldnt go near facebook with a ten foot pole.it just aint right.your students look up to you. dont let them down

Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,335,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
The thing is she wasn't fired, she was put on suspension for 10 days and she misunderstood and quit.

Seems to me that she didn't pay enough attention at college and should have read what was going on better, maybe the kids in that school are a bit better off not having her around.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
One of the biggest gripes of conservatives is about teachers unions. Right wing talk mouths like Boortz rarely let a day go by that they don't advocate trying to do away with teachers unions.
There are good reasons teachers need strong unions. One of them is that the teacher should be entitled to his or her own personal life on their own time. It seems that school boards think they have the right to tell teachers how to live on their off time. They don't and shouldn't.
The drinking age is 21 last I checked and there is no legal reason to try to fire teachers who go to taverns on their vacation time.

Winder teacher sues over dismissal || OnlineAthens.com
there are isolated cases I am sure, but this doesn't mean we need teachers unions.

Nita

Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM

1,765 posts, read 6,246,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Spoken like someone who obviously has never set foot in a classroom as a teacher.
I don't need to be a hooker to know when I'm getting screwed.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:24 PM

15,758 posts, read 8,562,356 times
There is no excuse for teachers unions.

period.

Unions are distructive and protect bad teachers. They have been a source of the dumbing down of the American Student.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:32 PM

15,395 posts, read 8,697,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
One of the biggest gripes of conservatives is about teachers unions. Right wing talk mouths like Boortz rarely let a day go by that they don't advocate trying to do away with teachers unions.
There are good reasons teachers need strong unions. One of them is that the teacher should be entitled to his or her own personal life on their own time. It seems that school boards think they have the right to tell teachers how to live on their off time. They don't and shouldn't.
The drinking age is 21 last I checked and there is no legal reason to try to fire teachers who go to taverns on their vacation time.

Winder teacher sues over dismissal || OnlineAthens.com
Why do you NEED a union to fight this?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:34 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,646,153 times
Unions have NOTHING to do with this. Either they violated a law, or they didnt..

The school district violated the Georgia Fair Dismissal Act, because no one told her she was entitled to a hearing, and that a suspension would not have lasted more than 10 days, her attorney, Richard Storrs, said Monday.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:56 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,883,478 times
Teachers should be allowed to have private lives. That being said, they should also act like adults.

In our state, our new supt. of public education stopped teachers from having parent teacher conferences during school time. His view is that teachers are paid to teach, not have parent teacher conferences for 2 half school days. I had to agree with that change, BUT, the teacher's union then decided to throw a hissy fit and pressure teachers NOT to have them, period, which was stupid. I demanded conferences from my kid's teachers and was reluctantly granted them. I know of some teachers who scheduled them regardless of the union's hissy fit and the union made it clear that they were not happy with those teachers. In this instance, the union worked against the student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies