U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-22-2009, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
7,149 posts, read 4,321,626 times
Reputation: 2640

Advertisements

Here I found this link for you.

At midyear 2008, there were 4,777 black male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents being held in state or federal prison and local jails, compared to 1,760 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents and 727 white male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Prison Statistics (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm - broken link)

People consistently want to talk about poverty being the largest factor pertaining to criminal behavior, which is true. But I would say there are far more poor Hispanics than blacks. Many of them are illegal immigrants who aren't even eligible for government assistance. So I think people need to wake up and see that there are more problems than just poverty in the black community. The most likely cause of crime is from black culture, which is not getting better by people making excuses for them. Black leaders need to stand up and do something to make your circumstances better, and stop trying to blame the white man for all your problems.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 11-22-2009 at 12:22 AM..

 
Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 AM
 
1,179 posts, read 785,297 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGX159 View Post
Then when I find places where the white population is about 80-90 %, there's hardly any crime at all.
Sure thing pal. I guess there is nobody in jail in Vermont, Utah, Idaho etc. The jails are all empty! No Caucasians committing crime in those lilly white states, no sir-e-bob. Is this guy for real?

I just love posts that start off saying "Now I'm not prejudice or anything" and then go right on to say something utterly backwards and prejudice.
 
Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 AM
 
1,718 posts, read 1,991,139 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
I do believe the constitution of the united states protects all of us from unwarranted stops as well as illegal search and seizure.
It does. So what? What's your point? Is searching your 'carry-on' at the airport an illegal search? I'm sorry. I just don't understand your point.

- Reel
 
Old 11-22-2009, 04:12 AM
 
Location: San Diego
2,311 posts, read 2,456,830 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
please learn how to analyze data if you are going to use it to support racist beliefs.
Please provide any circumstance where you've actually "analyzed" data. You've been tossing out one-liners with no substance. Provide the statistical evidence that you claim to have versus that of anyone who has posted against your biased claims.
 
Old 11-22-2009, 04:33 AM
 
Location: Washington
843 posts, read 1,105,255 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Here I found this link for you.

At midyear 2008, there were 4,777 black male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents being held in state or federal prison and local jails, compared to 1,760 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents and 727 white male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Prison Statistics (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm - broken link)

People consistently want to talk about poverty being the largest factor pertaining to criminal behavior, which is true. But I would say there are far more poor Hispanics than blacks. Many of them are illegal immigrants who aren't even eligible for government assistance. So I think people need to wake up and see that there are more problems than just poverty in the black community. The most likely cause of crime is from black culture, which is not getting better by people making excuses for them. Black leaders need to stand up and do something to make your circumstances better, and stop trying to blame the white man for all your problems.
Dude, did you read the entire thread before ressurecting that statistic> You are the 5th person to post it, and its been shut down each time. After it gets shut down, another person comes in and reposts it, not even reading how its been disproven.

Ill post it again in this thread for the 7th time- PRISON STATISTICS DO NOT REFLECT CRIMINAL TRENDS, ONLY SENTENCING AND ARREST TRENDS.

Racial Disparity in Sentencing - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Quote:
tatistics strongly support this information. In a study conducted by the Rand Corporation in 1983, it was estimated that Blacks and Hispanics received longer sentences and spent more time in jail than their white counterparts who were convicted of similar crimes and with similar criminal records. (Silas, 1983 p. 1355). It was also discovered that the courts in California imposed sentences six and a half months longer for Hispanics, and 1 and a half months longer for Blacks when compared to white inmates. The study also came to the conclusion that blacks and Hispanics were more likely to serve a "greater portion" of their sentence in comparison to their white counterparts.
As you can see[b] the reason why more minorities are imprisons HAS MORE TO DO WITH THE FACT that they are PUNISHED MORE SEVERELY than whites than their actual criminal rates.

More proof

Quote:
Aggressive law enforcement and severe penalties for drug offenses are a different matter. The drug wars are fought to lessen drug use among the general population, which is mostly white middle and working class. The people arrested, prosecuted, convicted, and imprisoned for drug crimes are mostly non-white. In other words, huge numbers of disadvantaged black (and Hispanic) people are being sent to prison, and serving long periods behind bars, to lessen the attraction and use of drugs among non-disadvantaged whites.

Race and Prison | Drug War Facts
Quote:
According to the federal Household Survey, "most current illicit drug users are white. There were an estimated 9.9 million whites (72 percent of all users), 2.0 million blacks (15 percent), and 1.4 million Hispanics (10 percent) who were current illicit drug users in 1998." And yet, blacks constitute 36.8% of those arrested for drug violations, over 42% of those in federal prisons for drug violations. African-Americans comprise almost 58% of those in state prisons for drug felonies; Hispanics account for 20.7%.
...

Among persons convicted of drug felonies in state courts, whites were less likely than African-Americans to be sent to prison. Thirty-three percent (33%) of convicted white defendants received a prison sentence, while 51% of African-American defendants received prison sentences. It should also be noted that Hispanic felons are included in both demographic groups rather than being tracked separately so no separate statistic is available.

Its hard to argue the facts when you look closer than simply saying 'hey most people in prison are black therefore blacks commit most crime".

Statistically the truth is = Blacks/Hispanics are punished more harshly all around and therefore are more often sentenced to prison than whites for the same crimes.

Lets move away from arguing that silly prison statistic as if it actually points accurately to crime use. NOT ONE PERSON has bothered to refute the sentencing disparity on this thread or any other, yet EVERYONE keeps reposting the prison statistic. Seriously folks, if you are going to post stats, make sure you post the ones that correlate with your argument.
 
Old 11-22-2009, 07:07 AM
 
1,467 posts, read 1,881,849 times
Reputation: 22487
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Dude, did you read the entire thread before ressurecting that statistic> You are the 5th person to post it, and its been shut down each time. After it gets shut down, another person comes in and reposts it, not even reading how its been disproven.

Ill post it again in this thread for the 7th time- PRISON STATISTICS DO NOT REFLECT CRIMINAL TRENDS, ONLY SENTENCING AND ARREST TRENDS.

Lets move away from arguing that silly prison statistic as if it actually points accurately to crime use. NOT ONE PERSON has bothered to refute the sentencing disparity on this thread or any other, yet EVERYONE keeps reposting the prison statistic. Seriously folks, if you are going to post stats, make sure you post the ones that correlate with your argument.
This is an excellent post. And, if people are going to have a debate on this issue, you have given the perfect starting off point.

Last edited by davey123; 11-22-2009 at 08:02 AM..
 
Old 11-22-2009, 07:23 AM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,347,048 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Here I found this link for you.

At midyear 2008, there were 4,777 black male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents being held in state or federal prison and local jails, compared to 1,760 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents and 727 white male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Prison Statistics (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm - broken link)

People consistently want to talk about poverty being the largest factor pertaining to criminal behavior, which is true. But I would say there are far more poor Hispanics than blacks. Many of them are illegal immigrants who aren't even eligible for government assistance. So I think people need to wake up and see that there are more problems than just poverty in the black community. The most likely cause of crime is from black culture, which is not getting better by people making excuses for them. Black leaders need to stand up and do something to make your circumstances better, and stop trying to blame the white man for all your problems.

that statement is self contradictory citing 2 things as the main reason. The reality is that there are many factors behind the "race" concept as well as poverty.

For example education access. A study done by the brookings institution citied 3 to 1 spending on education in wealthy areas compared to poor areas as well citing that minority dominated schools are much more likely to have inexperienced and less qualified teachers.


Unequal Opportunity: Race and Education - Brookings Institution


Also I would just like to mention to all of you that continue to blame black culture for the problem. Culture and race are not the same thing at all. Southern culture is far different from new england culture or australian culture or european culture. They may all still be white though. Culture is culture and race is race. You are comparing apples and oranges and ignoring a plethora of other factors.
 
Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 AM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,347,048 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
It does. So what? What's your point? Is searching your 'carry-on' at the airport an illegal search? I'm sorry. I just don't understand your point.

- Reel

you said

" It's not necessarily wrong to stop someone for questioning even if you are not sure they are guilty"



Yes it is. That is a direct violation of a persons rights. That is my point. You feel a black person can be stopped simply on the basis of skin color and that is a violation of their rights. Quite simple.
 
Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 AM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,347,048 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Please provide any circumstance where you've actually "analyzed" data. You've been tossing out one-liners with no substance. Provide the statistical evidence that you claim to have versus that of anyone who has posted against your biased claims.

Read this thread I and another poster have posted research.
 
Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 AM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,347,048 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Dude, did you read the entire thread before ressurecting that statistic> You are the 5th person to post it, and its been shut down each time. After it gets shut down, another person comes in and reposts it, not even reading how its been disproven.

Ill post it again in this thread for the 7th time- PRISON STATISTICS DO NOT REFLECT CRIMINAL TRENDS, ONLY SENTENCING AND ARREST TRENDS.

Racial Disparity in Sentencing - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com



As you can see[b] the reason why more minorities are imprisons HAS MORE TO DO WITH THE FACT that they are PUNISHED MORE SEVERELY than whites than their actual criminal rates.

More proof




Race and Prison | Drug War Facts



Its hard to argue the facts when you look closer than simply saying 'hey most people in prison are black therefore blacks commit most crime".

Statistically the truth is = Blacks/Hispanics are punished more harshly all around and therefore are more often sentenced to prison than whites for the same crimes.

Lets move away from arguing that silly prison statistic as if it actually points accurately to crime use. NOT ONE PERSON has bothered to refute the sentencing disparity on this thread or any other, yet EVERYONE keeps reposting the prison statistic. Seriously folks, if you are going to post stats, make sure you post the ones that correlate with your argument.


they don't get it. It's the only sliver of information they have to hold onto except for their beliefs and prejudices which so far only one poster has had the strength to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top