U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 AM
 
1,718 posts, read 2,003,867 times
Reputation: 613

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Actually, you did mention something about IQ scores.http://www.city-data.com/forum/11703181-post108.html

My own question is who gets tested and where? I question alot of things.

We are on the same page. Most Blacks do not committ crimes. The question I post is if most Blacks don't committ crimes, why judge the rest of the population based on what you see a few people do?
I thought we was discussing your response to a particular post. I didn't realize that you had expanded the conversation on me.

I do believe that IQ is important. IQ is the single most accurate predictor of how well one will do in school, on the job and in life. IQ is very important.

People do not judge an entire population on what a few people do. When I talk about the social pathologies that exist in certain segments of the black community I am not talking about the entire black race. I'm quite sure this is the case with most people. Would you please stop saying that we are judging the entire black population in general or you in particular when we discuss problems in certain segments of the black community.

- Reel

 
Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 AM
 
1,718 posts, read 2,003,867 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I am sure you can't understand it. you live in this perfect world, that many of the rest of can only asspire to be a part of.

But, yes, I can give examples, In some neighborhoods on the south side of Chicago, if a white person is seen driving through the area, the police will stop them, because they are white, and the police believe that the only reason a white person would be in that area would be to buy drugs. So yes, they police are stopping the person based on the color of their skin.

Now my sister in law was driving her new Mercedes in one of the north west suburbs of Chicago, and she was pulled over because the police seen a black person driving a 100k+ car, and assumed it must be stolen.

here is two examples of people being stopped because of the color of their skin.
I beg to differ. In neither of your examples was race/skin color the sole determining factor in the stops. Race/skin color were but contributing factors in the decisions the police made for executing the stops.

For example, the white man in your example was not stopped simply because he was white. He was stopped because he was white, he was in a black nieghborhood and he was in a neighborhood known for drug activity. I would imagine that there were even more factors involved in the decision such as numerous trips around he block, driving slower than the speed limit, etc. etc.

This are my response to your examples.

- Reel
 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 AM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,363,195 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I thought we was discussing your response to a particular post. I didn't realize that you had expanded the conversation on me.

I do believe that IQ is important. IQ is the single most accurate predictor of how well one will do in school, on the job and in life. IQ is very important.

People do not judge an entire population on what a few people do. When I talk about the social pathologies that exist in certain segments of the black community I am not talking about the entire black race. I'm quite sure this is the case with most people. Would you please stop saying that we are judging the entire black population in general or you in particular when we discuss problems in certain segments of the black community.

- Reel

The information you claim about IQ is incorrect, very incorrect. Where do you get these ideas from? IQ is the single most accurate predictor of how well one does in life???? Really? Please provide a source for where you got that idea.
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 AM
 
Location: 95468
1,383 posts, read 2,078,385 times
Reputation: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
There is a correlation between race and crime. Correlation is NOT causation. One's race does not cause them to committ a crime. You should know that. There are places with large African-American populations that are not crime-ridden. Example:Lathrup Village,MI(a Detroit suburb), which is 49% African-American. The crime rate there is lower than in Taylor,MI(also a Detroit suburb), which is 8% African=American. Race isn't a cause, it is a correlation. Black residents in Lathrup Village also have higher incomes. The poorer an area is, the more likely it is that the area will have a higher crime rate. African-Americans are more likely to live in poverty-ridden areas and to be living in poverty. Something to think about. Another thing to think about is this. If African-Americans are committing alot of crimes, there is also a higher victimhood among African-Americans. Most crimes committed by African-Amerricans are committed against other African-Americans.
Do you ever ask WHY crime rates in many African-American communities tend to be higher? I don't think you do ask. It appears that you just accept it as is. I personally don't. As an African-American myself, I don't accept it. I see the statistics, but I ask WHY and what can be done to make things better. I don't accept things as is. I look at things from the perspective of how it should be.
Personally I don't give a rats a** why only that they do.
Because of a comming relocation, for over a year I've been looking at demographic information across the country.
Urban and rural. It's possible to cherry pick and find areas that buck the trend of high black crime but there are very few.
A rural mid western community with a 99% white population usually has a violent crime rate of 5 or so. By flipping the race, violent crime will rocket to several hundred. There is not a single black population anywhere that approaches the mid west example. It's just not there.
How to fix it? Ask your black leaders then don't do what they ask.
That would be a great start.
 
Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM
 
1,718 posts, read 2,003,867 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
The information you claim about IQ is incorrect, very incorrect. Where do you get these ideas from? IQ is the single most accurate predictor of how well one does in life???? Really? Please provide a source for where you got that idea.
I am dumbfounded by your question. I would have thought that this would be obvious.

I'm getting real tired of this debate tactic. I've done a lot of reading and study and research on this topic. Now I'm supposed to go out and do more research and provide you with a written report. The theory being that if I don't go out now and do your research for you then I must be wrong.

http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson...hygmatters.pdf

I doubt that you'll read this so here's an excerpt:

"Personnel selection research provides much evidence that intelligence (g) is an important predictor of performance in training and on the job, especially in higher level work. . . . Data from the National Adult Literacy Survey are used to show how higher levels of cognitive ability systematically improve individuals’ odds of dealing successfully with the ordinary demands of modem life (such as banking, using maps and transportation schedules, reading and understanding forms, interpreting news articles). . . . These and other data are summarized to illustrate how the advantages of higher g, even when they are small, cumulate to affect the overall life chances of individuals at different ranges of the IQ bell curve. The article concludes by suggesting ways to reduce the risks for low-IQ individuals of being left behind by an increasingly complex postindustrial economy."

- Reel
 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,363,195 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I am dumbfounded by your question. I would have thought that this would be obvious.

I'm getting real tired of this debate tactic. I've done a lot of reading and study and research on this topic. Now I'm supposed to go out and do more research and provide you with a written report. The theory being that if I don't go out now and do your research for you then I must be wrong.

http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson...hygmatters.pdf

I doubt that you'll read this so here's an excerpt:

"Personnel selection research provides much evidence that intelligence (g) is an important predictor of performance in training and on the job, especially in higher level work. . . . Data from the National Adult Literacy Survey are used to show how higher levels of cognitive ability systematically improve individuals’ odds of dealing successfully with the ordinary demands of modem life (such as banking, using maps and transportation schedules, reading and understanding forms, interpreting news articles). . . . These and other data are summarized to illustrate how the advantages of higher g, even when they are small, cumulate to affect the overall life chances of individuals at different ranges of the IQ bell curve. The article concludes by suggesting ways to reduce the risks for low-IQ individuals of being left behind by an increasingly complex postindustrial economy."

- Reel


I'm not surprised you are dumbfounded at all. I have already read this research and I think we all know that it is a quite controversial study. Why don't you look at other research that strictly pertains to IQ. In reality IQ is not a great predictor of education or life "success".
 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
11 posts, read 14,491 times
Reputation: 10
Their are crimes who are more likely to have a white, black, or hispanic perp.

Each race has its own crime more likely to be done by them.
 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,363,195 times
Reputation: 262
For everyone screaming about being scared of black neighborhoods. The FBI released the 2008 stats showing that black people were the target in 72.9 % of racially motivated hate crimes. As compared to 16.8% white people. So who should be scared of who??

Incidents and Offenses - Hate Crime Statistics, 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2008/incidents.html - broken link)
 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,660 posts, read 6,646,033 times
Reputation: 2430
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
For everyone screaming about being scared of black neighborhoods. The FBI released the 2008 stats showing that black people were the target in 72.9 % of racially motivated hate crimes. As compared to 16.8% white people. So who should be scared of who??

Incidents and Offenses - Hate Crime Statistics, 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2008/incidents.html - broken link)
Will anti-white hate crimes increase in the future?
 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Central, IL
3,408 posts, read 3,492,630 times
Reputation: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I beg to differ. In neither of your examples was race/skin color the sole determining factor in the stops. Race/skin color were but contributing factors in the decisions the police made for executing the stops.

For example, the white man in your example was not stopped simply because he was white. He was stopped because he was white, he was in a black nieghborhood and he was in a neighborhood known for drug activity. I would imagine that there were even more factors involved in the decision such as numerous trips around he block, driving slower than the speed limit, etc. etc.

This are my response to your examples.

- Reel

The color of the skin was still the reasoning. There may have been, in the cops eyes, other circumstances that warrented stopping the person because of the color of the skin. If the persons skin color wasn't white, he wouldnt of been stopped under the same circumstances, so therefore the reasoning was the color of the skin. I have seen it happen with somone that has walked just a block from our house to the gas station and when walking out of the gas station, was stopped and questioned for being white in the neighborhood. When the cops do this to white people in my neigborhood, they are racial profiling. Just the same as the cop did to my wifes sister for being black and driving an expensive car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top