U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 15 hours ago)

47,576 posts, read 45,256,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You are falling back on this notion that more blacks want to be sprinters? Do you think there are no white guys running the 100m qualifiers? Do you think all the white guys in the past, oh 30 years, are too lazy to run the 100m? What world do you live in? People like you want to believe in something that just isn't true. Take this for example, look at the ratio of white college football players vs black college football players and then contrast that with the percentage of white/black professional football players. There are far more white athletes in college and every single one of them would love to go pro. Do you really believe that the only difference from one person to another is how bad they want it? I think you are being a little naive.

If your physical characteristics aren't condusive to a certain sport. You may still become good with practice, but you will always be limited. And the person who wants it more than you, but maybe was born with slightly larger hands or longer legs or larger chest or some muscular functioning differences(fast-twitch vs slow-twitch fibers), you will lose to them every time.

It sucks, but that is life. You are not born equal to everyone else. Some people are born more intelligent, better looking, taller, stronger, leaner, healthier, etc. And most of these attributes tend to run in families(because they are hereditary).

This whole statement is so stupid. One of the things you hear in sports so often is the word "talent". He has "natural talent". Are there no lazy people in the NFL? I read all the time about extremely lazy professional football players. Guys packing on the pounds, skipping practice, etc. Yet, why are they so much better than me at those sports? Is it because they want it more than me? I think you are glorifying sports far too much, and putting these athletes on these pedestals where they don't belong. There are millions of aspiring athletes that work 10x harder than many professional athletes.

Look, you would need to define criminality. Criminal behavior comes in many different types. You have aggressive/violent criminality and non-violent. You even have things like serial killers, rapists, child-abusers, etc.

Aggressive/violent behavior could be caused by a genetic trait, or a "violent gene".

Gene linked to impulsive violence weakens brain circuits that regulate thinking in humans

Impulsiveness is many times linked to testosterone levels. Which is why men on "roids" tend to be more impulsive/aggressive/violent/moody. And there are many studies done where africans tend to have higher levels of testosterone in their youth than whites.

Evo and Proud: Testosterone and human variation

These variations of course are genetic, and while you may have a brother or sister or father with blue eyes or brown eyes. Genetic traits tend to run in population groups. And while there are exceptions to every rule, we must look at the group as a whole to see the big picture.

And with that said, blacks dominate the 100m sprint, period. They hold something like the top 200 best times, and 494 out of the top 500 best times. But maybe thats just because whites just don't care about the 100m sprint? I dunno, you tell me.
All you are doing is practicing eugenics. Here is a question I have for you, and other people who think like you: How does this help the individual person? Eugenics doesn't take into account the individual. If a person wants to become a sprinter, then said person should practice at it and do what it takes to become a sprinter. If a person wants to become a swimmer, distance runner or whatever, then said person should work at it. I wanted to build my brain. I read whatever book was in my parents home. Some people are born more intelligent? I don't buy that for a moment. I think about some of the kids who were in my classes in high school and middle school. Many of them came off as very "unintelligent". To me, it was never genetic. It might have come from who they were hanging around, their upbringing, other things. They could have been more intelligent. They could have worked at it. Anything a person wants, said person must work at it, whatever it takes.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 15 hours ago)

Quote:
You are falling back on this notion that more blacks want to be sprinters? Do you think there are no white guys running the 100m qualifiers? Do you think all the white guys in the past, oh 30 years, are too lazy to run the 100m? What world do you live in? People like you want to believe in something that just isn't true. Take this for example, look at the ratio of white college football players vs black college football players and then contrast that with the percentage of white/black professional football players. There are far more white athletes in college and every single one of them would love to go pro. Do you really believe that the only difference from one person to another is how bad they want it? I think you are being a little naive.

If your physical characteristics aren't condusive to a certain sport. You may still become good with practice, but you will always be limited. And the person who wants it more than you, but maybe was born with slightly larger hands or longer legs or larger chest or some muscular functioning differences(fast-twitch vs slow-twitch fibers), you will lose to them every time.

It sucks, but that is life. You are not born equal to everyone else. Some people are born more intelligent, better looking, taller, stronger, leaner, healthier, etc. And most of these attributes tend to run in families(because they are hereditary).

This whole statement is so stupid. One of the things you hear in sports so often is the word "talent". He has "natural talent". Are there no lazy people in the NFL? I read all the time about extremely lazy professional football players. Guys packing on the pounds, skipping practice, etc. Yet, why are they so much better than me at those sports? Is it because they want it more than me? I think you are glorifying sports far too much, and putting these athletes on these pedestals where they don't belong. There are millions of aspiring athletes that work 10x harder than many professional athletes.

Look, you would need to define criminality. Criminal behavior comes in many different types. You have aggressive/violent criminality and non-violent. You even have things like serial killers, rapists, child-abusers, etc.

Aggressive/violent behavior could be caused by a genetic trait, or a "violent gene".

Gene linked to impulsive violence weakens brain circuits that regulate thinking in humans

Impulsiveness is many times linked to testosterone levels. Which is why men on "roids" tend to be more impulsive/aggressive/violent/moody. And there are many studies done where africans tend to have higher levels of testosterone in their youth than whites.

Evo and Proud: Testosterone and human variation

These variations of course are genetic, and while you may have a brother or sister or father with blue eyes or brown eyes. Genetic traits tend to run in population groups. And while there are exceptions to every rule, we must look at the group as a whole to see the big picture.

And with that said, blacks dominate the 100m sprint, period. They hold something like the top 200 best times, and 494 out of the top 500 best times. But maybe thats just because whites just don't care about the 100m sprint? I dunno, you tell me.
All you are doing is practicing eugenics. Here is a question I have for you, and other people who think like you: How does this help the individual person? Eugenics doesn't take into account the individual. If a person wants to become a sprinter, then said person should practice at it and do what it takes to become a sprinter. If a person wants to become a swimmer, distance runner or whatever, then said person should work at it. I wanted to build my brain. I read whatever book was in my parents home. Some people are born more intelligent? I don't buy that for a moment. I think about some of the kids who were in my classes in high school and middle school. Many of them came off as very "unintelligent". To me, it was never genetic. It might have come from who they were hanging around, their upbringing, other things. They could have been more intelligent. They could have worked at it. Anything a person wants, said person must work at it, whatever it takes.

BTW, if I(an African-American) had more testosterone that a White kid my own age, then why were many of the White kids I grew up with about as aggressive and prone to fighting as some of the Black kids? Answer that. What does that have to do with ME being a law-abiding citizen, albeit cynical and kind of distrusting?
You also might want to think about the connection between lead and how it affects a person's mind. Alot of poor, predominantly Black areas are also laden with lead in many places, which can cause neurological issues. A person might be more prone to commit a crime for that reason. I thank a few people on this site for showing me links on this.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:17 PM

8,096 posts, read 4,692,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am not trying to discredit hard work. But hard work can only take you so far. People always tell someone in their youth "you can be anything you want to be, you just have to work for it". Which is an absolute lie. There are just going to be many limitations on you, that you may or may not know exist until later in life. Then you will probably be resentful of it. It reminds me of the movie "fight club" where Brad Pitt says "We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

Intelligence is a weird thing. It isn't purely genetic, but it is largely genetic. There is still an environmental component. The point is, there are geniuses in this world, and there are retarded people in this world. Neither of these extremes "worked hard" or were "lazy" to get to this point. There are just a certain amount of exceptions in every group. Genetic predisposition to high IQ varies greatly from one population group to another.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/us/11dna.html

Quote:
BTW, if I(an African-American) had more testosterone that a White kid my own age, then why were many of the White kids I grew up with about as aggressive and prone to fighting as some of the Black kids? Answer that. What does that have to do with ME being a law-abiding citizen, albeit cynical and kind of distrusting?
You also might want to think about the connection between lead and how it affects a person's mind. Alot of poor, predominantly Black areas are also laden with lead in many places, which can cause neurological issues. A person might be more prone to commit a crime for that reason. I thank a few people on this site for showing me links on this.
Again, we are dealing with exceptions. Look at it like this. Do Chinese people tend to be short? So why do I have a Chinese friend that is 6'4"? Why is Yao Ming one of the tallest NBA players ever? You need to stop focusing on exceptions and look at the bigger picture.

Honestly, I feel really bad about constantly prodding the racial differences topic. But, I really get irritated by these liberal assertions that somehow we all start "equal". We just don't. And I don't like it anymore than anyone else.

If political correctness didn't make any discussion of race such a taboo, and attacked and threatened at every turn. In a short period of time, there could be a clear picture of how exactly we all differ. We could end up with a real life version of the movie Gattaca.

Gattaca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In “the not-so-distant future”, where liberal eugenics is common and DNA plays the primary role in determining social class."

"Suffering from the nearly eradicated physical dysfunction of myopia, as well as being given a heart disorder probability of 99%, Vincent faces extreme genetic discrimination and prejudice. "

Sound scary?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I am not trying to discredit hard work. But hard work can only take you so far. People always tell someone in their youth "you can be anything you want to be, you just have to work for it". Which is an absolute lie. There are just going to be many limitations on you, that you may or may not know exist until later in life. Then you will probably be resentful of it. It reminds me of the movie "fight club" where Brad Pitt says "We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

Intelligence is a weird thing. It isn't purely genetic, but it is largely genetic. There is still an environmental component. The point is, there are geniuses in this world, and there are retarded people in this world. Neither of these extremes "worked hard" or were "lazy" to get to this point. There are just a certain amount of exceptions in every group. Genetic predisposition to high IQ varies greatly from one population group to another.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/us/11dna.html

Again, we are dealing with exceptions. Look at it like this. Do Chinese people tend to be short? So why do I have a Chinese friend that is 6'4"? Why is Yao Ming one of the tallest NBA players ever? You need to stop focusing on exceptions and look at the bigger picture.
Honestly, I feel really bad about constantly prodding the racial differences topic. But, I really get irritated by these liberal assertions that somehow we all start "equal". We just don't. And I don't like it anymore than anyone else.

If political correctness didn't make any discussion of race such a taboo, and attacked and threatened at every turn. In a short period of time, there could be a clear picture of how exactly we all differ. We could end up with a real life version of the movie Gattaca.

Gattaca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In “the not-so-distant future”, where liberal eugenics is common and DNA plays the primary role in determining social class."

"Suffering from the nearly eradicated physical dysfunction of myopia, as well as being given a heart disorder probability of 99%, Vincent faces extreme genetic discrimination and prejudice. "

Sound scary?
You didn't answer my question: How does this help the individual?

You seem to say all of this as an attempt to say "Blacks are a lost cause, they will never be intelligent,they will always be naturally more violent, they are better off living as we dictate". That is what eugenics says. That isn't what I see around me. You never answered my questions(and neither have alot of other people): How does this help the individual? How does it help the Black persons who don't fit any of those stereotypes?
Do you know why I ignore anything "eugenics" has to say? It doesn't help me, the individual.

And Gattaca is just a science fiction thing.

I never said we all started equal. I child born into a poor neighborhood with all sorts of bad things happening isn't born into the equal circumstances as a child born into a rich family in a rich neighborhood where everything is handed to said child. Nevertheless, this doesn't mean the child born into a bad area can't be anything he/or she wants to be. For that child, it is going to take more work because that child is being born into harder circumstances and more strikes against said child. This is why I say make the playing field equal. Make it to where the child born in hardship can be anything he or she pleases. Black children often are born into harder lives moreso than White children. We are products of our environment. My father's parents constantly told him "stay in school". He did. He has two college degrees, a bachelor's and a master's degree. He had someone telling him, advising him. Many children don't have that, or they have someone advising them in the wrong way. Perhaps with the higher crime rates in minority areas, it starts young. It is a complicated situation, but solutions need to be found.

Last edited by green_mariner; 05-17-2010 at 09:09 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM

8,096 posts, read 4,692,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
You didn't answer my question: How does this help the individual?

You seem to say all of this as an attempt to say "Blacks are a lost cause, they will never be intelligent,they will always be naturally more violent, they are better off living as we dictate". That is what eugenics says. That isn't what I see around me. You never answered my questions(and neither have alot of other people): How does this help the individual? How does it help the Black persons who don't fit any of those stereotypes?
Do you know why I ignore anything "eugenics" has to say? It doesn't help me, the individual.
Well, what you are really asking is, what benefit is it to tell individuals what their limitations are? How do we really know what their limitations really are anyway? If you tell a person they can reach the moon, whats the worst-case scenario? They won't get there. But at least they tried because they believed they could. Which is obviously better than not trying at all. Correct?

So do I think it is better to withhold information, or downright lie to people because you don't want to destroy their dreams. I think its better to be honest.

I was reading about happiness a while back. Denmark is supposedly the happiest country on this earth. They were trying to figure out what exactly makes them happy. And while there are many reasons, this video that I watched tried to make the case that, the Danes basically had lower expectations. That they just want to be happy and comfortable, not to be the best. And I would agree. I think failed expectations are one of the primary causes of discontent and depression.

YouTube - Thomas Sowell - Welfare

What telling people that they can do anything really does is, elevate their expectations to unrealistic levels. And when they don't reach these ridiculous expectations, they tend to be angry, or they want to find someone to blame for their failures.

There will always be the individuals that are driven to succeed regardless of what anyone else tells them their limitations are. These people still either succeed or fail. Think, aspiring actresses turned drug-addicted prostitutes. Many individuals in the criminal world are driven by their expectations of wealth, that they cannot achieve any other way. We create a world of excess and greed all around us. But there is no correlation between wealth and happiness.

Money Doesn't Make People Happy - Forbes.com

You are just doing what the media and the government want you to do, work and consume, work and consume. And they make you believe you need to have all these things so you can "keep up with the jones'es". And you keep buying into it over and over.

Quote:
And Gattaca is just a science fiction thing.
It is science fiction based around concepts that could become reality. If they had DNA scanners(as in the movie) that could tell how "perfect" a person was, then there could easily be abuse and lots and lots of discrimination based on it. A great deal of sci-fi movies are inspired by real events. Most of those movies about "cloning" humans, do nothing but portray the issue of ethics dealing with the cloning of humans.

Quote:
I never said we all started equal. I child born into a poor neighborhood with all sorts of bad things happening isn't born into the equal circumstances as a child born into a rich family in a rich neighborhood where everything is handed to said child. Nevertheless, this doesn't mean the child born into a bad area can't be anything he/or she wants to be. For that child, it is going to take more work because that child is being born into harder circumstances and more strikes against said child. This is why I say make the playing field equal. Make it to where the child born in hardship can be anything he or she pleases. Black children often are born into harder lives moreso than White children. We are products of our environment. My father's parents constantly told him "stay in school". He did. He has two college degrees, a bachelor's and a master's degree. He had someone telling him, advising him. Many children don't have that, or they have someone advising them in the wrong way. Perhaps with the higher crime rates in minority areas, it starts young. It is a complicated situation, but solutions need to be found.
Be careful with the liberal line of the poor vs the rich. Liberals always try to blame all the problems of society on income/gender/racial inequality. And while I agree that it plays a role, it isn't nearly as large of a role as many people see it is. At least on the things that matter.

I was extremely poor when I was young. My mother worked at McDonald's, lived in trailers or public housing, and we didn't always own a car(we only owned a little motorcycle/scooter thing for a while). We lived with my mothers grandmother, her brother, and two of her cousins during my earlier years. And I honestly don't remember being unhappy at all during that time. And my eldest sister is practically a genius, I was on the honor roll(they used to give us free small pizza's at pizza hut when we got the honor roll, so it was important to me). I aced every test ever put in front of me. So I really don't see how being poor or being rich is supposed to make you more or less intelligent.

I do agree that success(if you equate it as income/size of house/car/etc) tends be aided greatly by what economic situation you were born into. Because you are expected to succeed, and because you have the means to go to school or anything else you need to do.

But did you know that African-americans in America tend to be happier than whites in America? And the countries in this world with the highest suicide rates are almost entirely white(and the rest are east asian, where expectations tend to be even higher than in white countries).

I think you are just looking at the entire world the wrong way. You've bought into the propaganda machine, and you have ceased to think for yourself. You run with talking points rather than real facts or the formulation of your own opinions.

Almost all of societies problems do not need government or money to fix, in fact government and money are almost always the cause of the problems in the first place.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Well, what you are really asking is, what benefit is it to tell individuals what their limitations are? How do we really know what their limitations really are anyway? If you tell a person they can reach the moon, whats the worst-case scenario? They won't get there. But at least they tried because they believed they could. Which is obviously better than not trying at all. Correct?

So do I think it is better to withhold information, or downright lie to people because you don't want to destroy their dreams. I think its better to be honest.

I was reading about happiness a while back. Denmark is supposedly the happiest country on this earth. They were trying to figure out what exactly makes them happy. And while there are many reasons, this video that I watched tried to make the case that, the Danes basically had lower expectations. That they just want to be happy and comfortable, not to be the best. And I would agree. I think failed expectations are one of the primary causes of discontent and depression.

YouTube - Thomas Sowell - Welfare

What telling people that they can do anything really does is, elevate their expectations to unrealistic levels. And when they don't reach these ridiculous expectations, they tend to be angry, or they want to find someone to blame for their failures.

There will always be the individuals that are driven to succeed regardless of what anyone else tells them their limitations are. These people still either succeed or fail. Think, aspiring actresses turned drug-addicted prostitutes. Many individuals in the criminal world are driven by their expectations of wealth, that they cannot achieve any other way. We create a world of excess and greed all around us. But there is no correlation between wealth and happiness.

Money Doesn't Make People Happy - Forbes.com

You are just doing what the media and the government want you to do, work and consume, work and consume. And they make you believe you need to have all these things so you can "keep up with the jones'es". And you keep buying into it over and over.

It is science fiction based around concepts that could become reality. If they had DNA scanners(as in the movie) that could tell how "perfect" a person was, then there could easily be abuse and lots and lots of discrimination based on it. A great deal of sci-fi movies are inspired by real events. Most of those movies about "cloning" humans, do nothing but portray the issue of ethics dealing with the cloning of humans.

Be careful with the liberal line of the poor vs the rich. Liberals always try to blame all the problems of society on income/gender/racial inequality. And while I agree that it plays a role, it isn't nearly as large of a role as many people see it is. At least on the things that matter.

I was extremely poor when I was young. My mother worked at McDonald's, lived in trailers or public housing, and we didn't always own a car(we only owned a little motorcycle/scooter thing for a while). We lived with my mothers grandmother, her brother, and two of her cousins during my earlier years. And I honestly don't remember being unhappy at all during that time. And my eldest sister is practically a genius, I was on the honor roll(they used to give us free small pizza's at pizza hut when we got the honor roll, so it was important to me). I aced every test ever put in front of me. So I really don't see how being poor or being rich is supposed to make you more or less intelligent.

I do agree that success(if you equate it as income/size of house/car/etc) tends be aided greatly by what economic situation you were born into. Because you are expected to succeed, and because you have the means to go to school or anything else you need to do.

But did you know that African-americans in America tend to be happier than whites in America? And the countries in this world with the highest suicide rates are almost entirely white(and the rest are east asian, where expectations tend to be even higher than in white countries).

I think you are just looking at the entire world the wrong way. You've bought into the propaganda machine, and you have ceased to think for yourself. You run with talking points rather than real facts or the formulation of your own opinions.

Almost all of societies problems do not need government or money to fix, in fact government and money are almost always the cause of the problems in the first place.
I am saying it is a good idea to have high expectations for yourself. Who is someone else to tell you "Because of your race, you can't do it, it is impossible".? That person doesn't know you, that person doesn't know me or what I'm capable of. Better to encourage that person to strive high, to expect more from his or herself and even if he or she doesn't attain it, to keep trying anyway. Better to die trying than to live not knowing how far you can go. You still didn't answer my question: How does it help the individual? If a person's expectations have failed, then I have some advice for said person: Get up and try again. For instance, I was a lousy runner in high school. I was also lousy at math. What did I do about it. I kept running more. I kept working on my algebra and trigonometry. I enlisted my father's help, because his profession has some mathematical elements to it. I started doing much better in mathematics. I lettered in cross-country. Do you think I ever listened to anyone telling me "Your Black, Black people are not good at math or distance running, stick to basketball"? No I didn't. I can't pay attention to it because it doesn't help me with the goals I have in mind.

People telling me I could do anything helped me to work harder. People having faith in me made me want to work harder, to do better, and often, I did. If a person it willing to work for it, why not strive for it?

As for being poor, I never said being poor or rich had anything to do with being intelligent. I said it had something to do with having access to good schools. Poorer persons are less likely to have access to a decent education. As for you, you were given an incentive to work harder. So was I. I will admit, I didn't grow up poor. My school did a similar program. You also had alot of family members to support you. What I am arguing is that race will not determine your intelligence or your capacity to do things. Often, a person environment is a big indicator.

I have been trying to tell you that a person's environment has a big part to do with things. If a person lives in a bad environment, there should at least be people there to act as that person's support system, to help that person rise above the wreckage and to do better. And I am not aware of African-Americans being "happier" on average. Somehow, I doubt that. I need proof.
And I am aware of the suicide rates. My theory isn't so much privilege but probably the culture. In Japan, dishonor is considered very bad. Many people have committed suicide for that reason. In other nations, I don't know. I think when people stop trying, it makes it easier to commit suicide.

I'm looking at the world the wrong way? I am looking at the world from the perspective of history and what would help ME. When I listen to people say bad things about people who look like me, I have to think for myself. I think to myself "I am not going to believe any of that, because I have myself and my family for an example of the opposite". Who are you to tell me how to view the world? Who are you to tell me what I can do or can't do?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Now, I have to say this about crime and race. For those who believe race determines whether or not a person will be naturally criminal-minded, that is a lie. Race doesn't determine that. The header "Race is playing a major role in crime", well, what explains some of the crimes committed by Whites? Anyone can have a criminal mind and it happens all over the world. Go into some small towns in Appalachia and crime exists there too. There is alot of stuff that never gets reported that "stays in the family". Things are also more spread out too. It happens in the inner cities too.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,385,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalela View Post
I would say it has more to do with economy. Poor people are generally more voilent and prone to criminal acts because they have less to lose and in America, unfortunately, blacks are more poor than other races, specially whites, on average.
I agree that it is often an economic correlation but I don't really think that it means that black are more violent and have less to lose but rather that long-term poverty often makes them feel as they have no other options by which to acquire money. Stealing, selling drugs, prostitution etc. are all done for money and these activities beget violence. People, whatever their color, are not usually prone to the criminal activities when they have steady incomes, homes, and intact families. Sadly though, when poverty has become multi-generational there is little chance for people to have the means or opportunity to change their status to that of someone with a foundational education that leads to productive employment. It is difficult if not impossible for someone who comes from grinding poverty to realize the value of an education as a means of leaving that poverty.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,854,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I agree that it is often an economic correlation but I don't really think that it means that black are more violent and have less to lose but rather that long-term poverty often makes them feel as they have no other options by which to acquire money. Stealing, selling drugs, prostitution etc. are all done for money and these activities beget violence. People, whatever their color, are not usually prone to the criminal activities when they have steady incomes, homes, and intact families. Sadly though, when poverty has become multi-generational there is little chance for people to have the means or opportunity to change their status to that of someone with a foundational education that leads to productive employment. It is difficult if not impossible for someone who comes from grinding poverty to realize the value of an education as a means of leaving that poverty.

Here are the major factors, in my opinion. The economics of the drug trade, poverty, dense urban existence, a conditioned devaluing of black life, a pessimistic outlook on ones future.

Of course, these things represent general rules and you can always find exceptions to each one.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,050,038 times
I havent had a chance to read the entire thread but it is a courages topic. The Libs always want us to celebrate diverstiy with out ever acknowledging our differences. Racial sterotypes can often be over blown but the fact is most of them came from some sort of base.

We should always approach a situation judging people as individuals but the reality is we are all different.

Genetics has proven that we are all homosapiens and that we are one species who all evolved a little differently in different parts of the world.. We devide europe into irish, italian, french, english ect. ect. and even in the asian culture we have many subgroups..

But "AFRICAN" american is very generic.. Africa a huge continant and the birth of humin civilization as we know it as diverse as anyother continant..

Have there been studies or research into the difference between the subgroups of Africans..

I know there are tribes where the people are tall, short, mountain people.. ect..

We love to talk about black atheletes and obviously there are some physiological differences albeit probably alot more minor and subtle then people like too think..

this may be off toipic but if we want to discuss crime rates, poverty rates, achievment gaps, ect.. it certainly is relevent.

At the end of the day we all have live together and share much more in common then anything that may differentiate us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies