U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,312,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Your words may have been a different but, NO it's the same thought.......
No, I did not suggest that there was any deliberate breeding after slaves had arrived in the New World. There was selection before their shipment.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:34 PM

7,133 posts, read 4,317,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am saying it is a good idea to have high expectations for yourself. Who is someone else to tell you "Because of your race, you can't do it, it is impossible".?
What do you think the meaning of life is? Why do you think you are on this earth? If you were never born, what would it really matter? If your goal is to meet your expectations, great. But your expectations could very small and easy to achieve. And if you have a chip on your shoulders to prove that you can do more than others think you can do, I guess thats fine. But who really cares? Does it really matter?

There are really only two reasons to be alive. If these aren't your goals, you might as well just go blow your head off.

1) To make the lives of the other people on Earth better(especially your family). Either by being a good person/role model. Or by creating a technology or invention that makes others lives better over the long term. Where in the end of your life, you can say that the world was better off because you were in it.

2) To be happy.

Despite America's focus on wealth. There is no correlation of wealth and happiness. There is only the pressure of high expectations and the general view of the people around you that having money makes you somehow more important/relevant. So they make you believe that if you don't have money then you shouldn't be happy.

My point is, I personally find expectations to be the bane of my existence.

I remember when I was in school. The kid that did poorly in school, but then all of the sudden would improve his marks to even "average" levels, would get praise from everyone around him(to encourage him). While the people that always did well rarely even got noticed. Because they were just expected to do well.

For a long time I played this game called World of Warcraft. It was fun, and I'll be honest, I am a very good gamer. They created something called "arena's", where you fight in 2v2's, 3v3's, and 5v5's.

Well in the beginning, win or lose, it was still fun. I never expected to win, because I was new at it. But as time went on and I got better and better. Any time I lost it was basically an embarrassment. And my arena partners were getting to that point also. And the tempers would flare up on ventrilo. We ended up something like 10th place in 3v3's, and got the gladiator title. And at first we were happy to have gotten 10th place. But then after a while, 10th place wasn't even good enough anymore. But the problem was, all that heavy competing wasn't really fun. It was much more fun when we just played to have fun. The competition was merely a way to prove to everyone else how great you are.

In life, I see kind of the same pattern. People are always doing things they don't even enjoy because they want to prove to everyone else that you have value. But if you aren't happy, then your life sucks, period.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,936,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Your words were some what different but, NO it's the same line of thinking.......
It is not the same line of thinking... Saying that salves brought over here were chosen based on physiological factors is completely different then making the leap that slaves once here were bred for physiological reasons.

However before anyone is labeled a racist (which has been abused by race baitors and the politicaly correct media) we have to ask..... is there any validity to this?

I would argue that once again there is probably a little truth and falsehood with all of it..

prior to attrocious acts of Africans being brought here as slaves, there were already Africans here who came on their own accord through indentured servants... as had most immigrants..

Once again we area fraid to recognize what makes us uniqe and special..

if we want to know the history it is only just to know the whole true story!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:57 PM

44,571 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
What do you think the meaning of life is? Why do you think you are on this earth? If you were never born, what would it really matter? If your goal is to meet your expectations, great. But your expectations could very small and easy to achieve. And if you have a chip on your shoulders to prove that you can do more than others think you can do, I guess thats fine. But who really cares? Does it really matter?

There are really only two reasons to be alive. If these aren't your goals, you might as well just go blow your head off.

1) To make the lives of the other people on Earth better(especially your family). Either by being a good person/role model. Or by creating a technology or invention that makes others lives better over the long term. Where in the end of your life, you can say that the world was better off because you were in it.

2) To be happy.

Despite America's focus on wealth. There is no correlation of wealth and happiness. There is only the pressure of high expectations and the general view of the people around you that having money makes you somehow more important/relevant. So they make you believe that if you don't have money then you shouldn't be happy.

My point is, I personally find expectations to be the bane of my existence.

I remember when I was in school. The kid that did poorly in school, but then all of the sudden would improve his marks to even "average" levels, would get praise from everyone around him(to encourage him). While the people that always did well rarely even got noticed. Because they were just expected to do well.

For a long time I played this game called World of Warcraft. It was fun, and I'll be honest, I am a very good gamer. They created something called "arena's", where you fight in 2v2's, 3v3's, and 5v5's.

Well in the beginning, win or lose, it was still fun. I never expected to win, because I was new at it. But as time went on and I got better and better. Any time I lost it was basically an embarrassment. And my arena partners were getting to that point also. And the tempers would flare up on ventrilo. We ended up something like 10th place in 3v3's, and got the gladiator title. And at first we were happy to have gotten 10th place. But then after a while, 10th place wasn't even good enough anymore. But the problem was, all that heavy competing wasn't really fun. It was much more fun when we just played to have fun. The competition was merely a way to prove to everyone else how great you are.

In life, I see kind of the same pattern. People are always doing things they don't even enjoy because they want to prove to everyone else that you have value. But if you aren't happy, then your life sucks, period.
Well, the way I see it, you aren't to say. This is how I see it: Only God can say that. Philipians 4:13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Whether you take it agreeably, or hate it, that is how I see it. YOU aren't to say what a person can or can't do. That ties into the meaning of life as I see it.

I have read some of the statements you made. I think you even suggested that "biology" and other "eugenic" things are what make Black people commit crimes. If you ask me, I think those are lies.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Well, the way I see it, you aren't to say. This is how I see it: Only God can say that. Philipians 4:13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Whether you take it agreeably, or hate it, that is how I see it. YOU aren't to say what a person can or can't do. That ties into the meaning of life as I see it.

I have read some of the statements you made. I think you even suggested that "biology" and other "eugenic" things are what make Black people commit crimes. If you ask me, I think those are lies.

Really? I know you want to believe that behavior is always in the hands of the person, and ultimately it is. And behavior can be severely shaped by your environment. But your behavior is also largely genetic. Most of the genetic component of behavior can be directly tied to hormone levels, but also brain function. Most psychological disorders tend to run in families. Everything from depression to schizophrenia to ADD/ADHD.

Many of the bad behaviors in criminals they can control with drugs. Do you know what these drugs do? They change their chemical balances in their brains which tries to control everything from their impulsive behaviors, to things like seratonin inhibitors.

Do you know what a "chemical imbalance" is? Chemicals are basically hormones in your body. An imbalance of hormones can totally change who you are, and how your brain processes information. A friend of mine was talking to me about her husband the other day. He has prostate cancer and they are giving him some radiation treatment, and they told him that some of the side effects could be an extreme drop in testosterone, which could lead him into something like "menopause". My friend is a woman who has gone through menopause. And she was telling me how she doesn't think her husband will be able to handle going through anything like menopause, because she about went crazy when she was going through it.

People from the same environment can be completely different. You can put 10 people in the same exact situations but give them different amounts of different kinds of hormones, and the results just will not be the same.

So, if you can possibly understand that behavior has a genetic component, then you need to look at the patterns of chemicals that could possibly trigger criminal behavior. And there have been studies done on men of different ethnic groups. African-Americans "on average" have the highest testosterone levels and Asians "on average" have the lowest testosterone levels. If we look at violent crimes rates all over the world, you can see how this pattern manifests itself in life.

Secondly, there are plenty of studies done connecting extremely high testosterone levels with low IQ(and that includes all ethnic groups). So a quick review, very high testosterone levels = impulsive and stupid. And high levels of testosterone tend to cause a shorter life expectancy. And high testosterone is one of the largest determinances for prostate cancer.

In the end, you are just an animal. We are all just animals. There is absolutely nothing special about humans. Dogs are animals, and dogs are more genetically similar to each other than humans are. And it is very plain to see how genes affect their behavior. But although golden retrievers tend to be the nicest/most timid dog, there are still some mean golden retrievers, and there are nice pit bulls. But in the end, pit bulls are still the most dangerous dog, and golden retrievers tend to be one of the least dangerous dogs.

Sorry if you don't want to hear it.

Heres a couple videos you might want to watch.

YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is bull****.

YouTube - YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS - George Carlin

Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalela View Post
I would say it has more to do with economy. Poor people are generally more voilent and prone to criminal acts because they have less to lose and in America, unfortunately, blacks are more poor than other races, specially whites, on average.
please see above excellent posts--- clearly poverty is the not the source of violence-- but always the defense given. the mantra of detroit-- send more money, 400 million later.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Long story short, this issue with crime and race is not a simple issue and there are not simple solutions. Race does not determine whether or not you will be a criminal. Genes don't have anything to do with it. Anyone who would suggest the opposite really is racist. There are bigger issues at hand.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Long story short, this issue with crime and race is not a simple issue and there are not simple solutions. Race does not determine whether or not you will be a criminal. Genes don't have anything to do with it. Anyone who would suggest the opposite really is racist. There are bigger issues at hand.
Wouldn't that be nice if it was true.

Gene linked to impulsive violence weakens brain circuits that regulate thinking in humans

"A version of a gene previously linked to impulsive violence appears to weaken brain circuits that regulate impulses, emotional memory and thinking in humans, researchers at the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) have found."

"These new findings illustrate the breathtaking power of 'imaging genomics' to study the brain's workings in a way that helps us to understand the circuitry underlying diversity in human temperament," said NIH Director Elias A. Zerhouni, M.D., who conducted MRI studies earlier in his career."

You were saying?

Now, they just need to do a study to find out which "race" tends to carry this gene most often, then we can have our answer. But do you think that type of research will get funding by the NIH? Think that scientist will be able to finish his research and release it to the public? Think that scientist won't get death threats? Why? He is just in search of knowledge and truth, whats wrong with that?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Wouldn't that be nice if it was true.

Gene linked to impulsive violence weakens brain circuits that regulate thinking in humans

"A version of a gene previously linked to impulsive violence appears to weaken brain circuits that regulate impulses, emotional memory and thinking in humans, researchers at the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) have found."

"These new findings illustrate the breathtaking power of 'imaging genomics' to study the brain's workings in a way that helps us to understand the circuitry underlying diversity in human temperament," said NIH Director Elias A. Zerhouni, M.D., who conducted MRI studies earlier in his career."

You were saying?

Now, they just need to do a study to find out which "race" tends to carry this gene most often, then we can have our answer. But do you think that type of research will get funding by the NIH? Think that scientist will be able to finish his research and release it to the public? Think that scientist won't get death threats? Why? He is just in search of knowledge and truth, whats wrong with that?
Did it mention what percentage of the population if affected by it? Because if it didn't, and it doesn't, then this is just a moot theory. The entire human population has to be tested. If it only exists in a tiny part of the human population, then violence couldn't be linked to genetics for most human beings.
Such research isn't going to be funded because it is very racist and eugenic in nature. That usually the only reason anyone would do so.

There are a few things you should read:Behavior: Race and IQ - TIME

Old 05-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Furthermore, I want to comfirm that if there is anything in the brain that might cause behavior problems, it can be of an environmental nature. For those who have linked lead to behavior problems, I have a few links here: Low-Level Lead Exposure, Intelligence and Academic Achievement: A Long-term Follow-up Study -- Bellinger et al. 90 (6): 855 -- Pediatrics
http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/Pb_beha...fact_sheet.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies