U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:04 AM

44,678 posts, read 43,215,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don’t know that I can concur with a lot of this. The first problem I have is that science is incomplete. There is still much more that we don’t know than there is that we do know about the brain and the rest of the body. How many diseases or syndromes are there out there with no cure or explanation for? There are theories held 100 years ago that have been debunked with the passage of time, yet, at the time of the theory, scientist were confident. I can remember when blacks dominated sprints and whites dominated long distance running when I was a young teen. That was before East Africans were big into the sport. The theory then centered on slow vs. fast switch muscles and each race was supposedly gifted with the one, which is why one dominated sprints and one dominated long distance. This was accepted as science. However, the East Africans came and blew that theory out of the water, when the dominated the distance races.

Another thing to consider is that black people, by the same science, is said to have the greatest genetic variation of all humans. If blacks have the greatest human genetic variation, then blacks likely will be the source of extremes. Some of the least intelligent people on the earth are black….as well as some of the most intelligent people. Blacks likely span the gamut of genetic variations. There are even blacks with no skin pigmentation; however, I have never seen a white person who was black as me. Again, that is due to a great degree of genetic variation in black peoples, as all humans are theorized to have originated from black people, according to the state of knowledge in regards to DNA analyses, as well as, archeological findings.

One subject that I would like to touch upon is intellect and IQ. I have taken 3 IQ test and scored in the low 140’s on two and in the low 130’s on the other. The low score was a timed test I took. The other two were not timed. What I realized is that a large part of the IQ test simply measured LEARNED intelligence. The only portion of the test that was really not corrupted with learned intelligence (vs natural intelligence) was the question that simply measured pattern recognition (what logically comes next in a sequence). Language and culture also corrupted much of the test, in my opinion. Thus, I really don’t put much credibility or confidence in the ability of IQ test to measure NATURAL intelligence, controlled for culture and leaned knowledge. On the math portion of the test I solved the problems b y using Algebraic rules or laws and others I solved by using rules and laws of trigonometry. I learned that in college and do not consider that a measure of natural intellect, but rather, training.

To me the computer is designed much like the mind. There is the memory and there is the processor or logic unit. If your computer cannot store and efficiently retrieve data, regardless of how robust the logical processor is, the computer will not be good for much. Conversely, if a computer has a great storage capacity but a weak logical processing unit, the computer is not much good either. Thus, it’s the combination of memory and processing ability that is the key to intellect. If you look at some savants, they have TREMENDOUS ability to remember, but absolutely zero ability to logically process the information they remember. Hence, no doubt that there are people with tremendous gifts of inductive and deductive reasoning, but the fact that they can’t remember much renders it useless.

Even though the computer is modeled after the mind, the mind is like a computer. There is input, output and processing. A computer with nothing loaded into its memory cannot perform any tasks. Many black people and I know this from being black all my life and growing up in black neighborhoods, is that many blacks simply don’t input things into their memory because they have not found value in it. It’s not their hard drives, internal memory or logical processing unit is inferior, it’s just that the same software is not loaded. Hence, when the computers are tasked or instructed to produce a given output, based upon a given input, the test is based upon the assumption that the same software is loaded, when it’s not. Thus, you cannot really say that because one computer produces the desired output it means that the hardware is superior to the other computer. Why? It’s because it’s not a controlled comparison where it’s insured that the same software has been loaded into each machine. In other words, the only way that you can say that one machines hardware is superior to the others machines hardware, based upon what is output, is to ensure that both machines have had the same INPUT or programs loaded. Those things are EXTERNAL to the hardware. So you’re not measuring apples to apples.

I do agree that there is individual variation. Some individuals are naturally (meaning genetically) superior to other individuals. Yes, life is neither fair nor even at birth, because of individual variation. However, one cannot take the leap of what is true for individuals and say that it is true for races. Individuals have clear demarcation, while races do not. There are members of the Yoruba tribe, for example, in Nigeria that are more genetically similar to a German than they are to me…..and I am black. In other words, a white man can have more genetic similarity to a black man than does another black man have with that black man. Why, again it’s because blacks are said to have the greatest degree of genetic variation of all groups. The benefit of genetic variation is that if something attacked a certain genetic traits to the degree of extinctions, if everyone had the same trait everyone would be whipped out. Variation gives species a better opportunity that one of the variations will be resistant to the threat.
IQ isn't about "smarts" so much as the ability to learn. Any human can learn things. For this reason, when people bring up IQ, I dismiss it for a reason. People can learn things. And IQ's aren't really made to test things fairly. They were biased to begin with.

There was a case of a person who worked in a clinic. She was bright. She had a college education. She didn't do well on the IQ test. Well, it didn't matter. She was the one with a college degree and a professional job at a clinic, doing important things. It wasn't because she was "dumb". She got nervous.
Another thing to consider is this. It is a matter of WHO gets tested. One thing to think of is this. Some of the things being taught in many public schools in the inner cities(particularly among the lower grade levels), certain things don't get taught that would normally get taught in private schools or even suburban public schools.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:56 AM

3,376 posts, read 7,058,402 times
OP If you want to go there, all I have to do is remind you of the roaring 1920s in Chicago and other cities that saw an increase in crime. The US murder rate back then was actually higher than today. The US had a murder rate of 11 per 100,000 in 1925 with a total of 12,000 homicides. Chicago topped the list with 563 homicides in 1925, back when Al Capone and other white gangsters committed the majority of the killings. Even Detroit had a murder rate of 25 per 100,000 in 1926. This was time when Detroit was 90% white or more.

Stats on the 1925 and 1926

Business: Business Notes, Apr. 12, 1926 - TIME
USA Murder Statistics for 1926
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies