U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:12 PM
 
6,899 posts, read 6,387,619 times
Reputation: 2013

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
This is a typical debate tactic here on CD. If someone says something you don't like just ask them for links or official statistics. The theory being if they don't bother to do your research then they must be wrong. It's a lazy-man's debate tactic.

I read a lot and I've read a lot on this issue. So I 'googled' it and came up with a link:

FACE FACTS ON FRISKS

There is a lot out there if you are interested. Just google it and do your own research.

- Reel
Apparently you did NOT read your own link...and OH by the way, this so called statistics are YOUR assertions that you have YET to back up, but still you've made them time and time again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
You are incorrect. That is the typical liberal nonsense designed to obscure what is really going on. There is more crime in poor black neighborhoods than there is in poor white neighborhoods.

It's true that more crime is commited in poor neighborhoods than middle or upper class neighborhoods and this includes poor white neighborhoods. But why is there so much more crime in poor black neighborhoods? Obviously something else is going on.
This is YOUR assertion, back it up.

- Reel
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Can you provide the statistics your quoting? You are making a statement as if its documented FACT, please provide the data your using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
You made me laugh out loud. Read the whole post. Blacks are under-represented in stops, my friend. If they are commiting 80% of the shootings according to victims and witnesses then they might should be stopped 80% of the time and not at the rate of their numbers in the population.

YOUR link alone in the State of NY proves that Blacks ARE NOT under represented. Did you not comprehend what you attached?
- Reel

This is the typical bias and ignorance disguised as a discussion thats shown here on C-D by posters who believe they have a strong hold on information concerning data, statistics and the black community and more often completely WRONG.

From your aritcle (which you still have not provided ANYTHING to back up your so called statistics) "THE New York Civil Liberties Union" which would indicate to me this is geared ONLY towards NY.

Still waiting for you to provide the backup to the three different statistics you've provided in this one thread alone.

 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,575 posts, read 29,325,427 times
Reputation: 21383
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGX159 View Post
I'm not being racist when I say this(can't I'm black too) that if the black population is above 30% the crime rate is higher, if the black population is higher than other races and make up a majority, the crime rate skyrockets. And if it's equal to any other race, it skyrockets as well.

Then when I find places where the white population is about 80-90 %, there's hardly any crime at all.

Is a higher population in Blacks in towns and cities forcing people to move???

Interesting user name for someone who is African American.

Anyway, I think there is an element in truth in what you say. People do perceive certain racial groups as being "dangerous" (and not just African Americans), I think that it could be a motivation for people who are fearful to leave.

The downside to this, of course is that letting fear control your life is not healthy. Not only that, crime can happen anywhere. Criminals DO own cars, and they are not shy about using them to commit crimes in places other than their own neighborhood.

Finally, the ultimate downside is that when you live in a white bread area you might miss some of the bad things, but you also miss some of the good things that being in a mixed neighborhood offers. Most notably, developing an appreciation for people of other races and cultures.

20yrsinBranson
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 PM
 
6,899 posts, read 6,387,619 times
Reputation: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGX159 View Post
Simply because African Americans are often jealous of one another. If one makes 5 more dollars more a year than the other AA, violence can really break out. If a 16 year old drives a '98 Toyota Camry and a 25 year old doesn't have a car or drives a '97 Camry, the one that drives the '97 goes crazy and gets jealous. Jealousy is the number one reason why we have more black-on-black crimes than black-on-white. IT's SICKENING!!

Let me understand your thought process here which is really boardering on ignorance. Are you saying that what you've discribing above concerning Jealousy is a "Black" man, woman child trait? These traits "jealousy" is NEVER associated with any other ethnic groups other than Blacks. Is that what your really saying? Just want to make sure.

And you know for a FACT that the number one reason there is black on black crime is because of jealousy? And you know this because oh yeah thats right, your black..your not a racist??? Give me a break...

Now what's the reason for White on white crime? Italian on Italian? Spanish on Spanish?

Last edited by blackandproud; 11-19-2009 at 07:37 PM..
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
 
44,723 posts, read 43,262,217 times
Reputation: 14445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Let's start with this before we get to what I may think is the cause.

Do you believe that social pathology is a significant problem in certain segments of the black community?

- Reel
In certain segments of African-American society, yes. I am using this school of thought, asking the how and why of everything. Stuff doesn't just happen. There has to be a reason to everything.
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
 
6,899 posts, read 6,387,619 times
Reputation: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I believe you are correct. I think there is a lot of anger and bitterness among blacks who for whatever reason find themselves unable to compete in this capitalistic society. They either lack the mental capacity, ability, initiative or inclination to compete and end up doing very poorly. Then they resent those, black or white, who seem to be able to compete and are headed for success. The resentment, bitterness and anger is a big reason for violence, the crime and a host of other social pathologies.

Do you have any ideas as to how we as a society can assuage this resentment, anger and bitterness? I think it starts with being unable or unwilling to compete (i.e. try hard) in school. What can be done with those who may not have the aptitude for academics? There's got to be something else for them where they can feel just as successful as the academics.

- Reel

Aero...I know you said the "R" word is thrown out alot...but if this statement isn't the most IGNORANT.....If you go back and take a look at the history of this persons post when he/she speak about blacks...its completely Obvious.
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:30 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,575 posts, read 29,325,427 times
Reputation: 21383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Dream on!!

Look at the population in our jails and prisons. Not even close.
There are people who would say that the reason for this is that the majority of white criminals can afford attorneys whereas minority offenders often must settle for public defenders who do not have their best interests at heart.

There is also the argument that sentencing is harsher on minorities due to prejudices.

I don't know if either of the concepts are true or not, but it's something to think about.

20yrsinBranson
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Washington
843 posts, read 1,106,948 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Dream on!!

Look at the population in our jails and prisons. Not even close.
Yes, thats because on average african americans and latinos (and natives) are prosecuted more serverely than whites. You are arguing the results of sentencing is a direct reflection if crimes committed. Most criminal justice officials are nonblack and nonhispanic. Judges, lawyers, police, etc. And usually, these parties feed into a stereotype that they believe, 'blacks are violent criminals by nature and latinos are violent thieves and natives are savages.'

The concepts are related but obviously different. Not everyone that commits a crime goes to jail, duh.

Racial Disparity in Sentencing - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Quote:
Professor Randall Kennedy is a Black American, who teaches Law at Harvard University. Professor Randall made a thought provoking comment that "Courts authorize the police to treat a persons race-typically blackness- as a proxy for an increased likelihood for misconduct." With this said, we must wonder why if we know that there is a serious disparity within the system, why we keep repeating our actions, and continually fuel the stereotypes that keep these perceptions and fears alive.

The statistics strongly support this information. In a study conducted by the Rand Corporation in 1983, it was estimated that Blacks and Hispanics received longer sentences and spent more time in jail than their white counterparts who were convicted of similar crimes and with similar criminal records. (Silas, 1983 p. 1355). It was also discovered that the courts in California imposed sentences six and a half months longer for Hispanics, and 1 and a half months longer for Blacks when compared to white inmates. The study also came to the conclusion that blacks and Hispanics were more likely to serve a "greater portion" of their sentence in comparison to their white counterparts.
This isnt new news. The best example is the crack/cocaine disparity
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Iowa, Heartland of Murica
3,437 posts, read 5,357,641 times
Reputation: 3400
This a very touchy subject but I live in Minneapolis and probably more than 50% of all murders here are black on black. We can spend hours trying to justify why and the reasons BUT:

I have been to the poorest county in the USA, or one of the poorest, Shannon County, South Dakota, it is a majority Native American part of SD and although there are problems, there are virtually no murders in Shannon County. How do you explain that?

You can say that Blacks are commiting murders because they were oppressed bla bla but I dont feel like Native Americans were less oppressed than Blacks

I honestly think African American culture is really the problem, like Chris Rock says, it is a culture that often sees ignorance or acting stupid as cool. Anyways, this is a very sensitive subject and I am not here to judge anybody but this is how I feel.
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,056,508 times
Reputation: 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Yes, thats because african americans are prosecuted more serverely than whites. You are arguing the results of sentencing is a direct reflection if [/b] crimes committed[/b].

The concepts are related but obviously different. Not everyone that commits a crime goes to jail, duh.

Racial Disparity in Sentencing - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com



This isnt new news. The best example is the crack/cocaine disparity

Not in my county, I see blacks getting less time for the same crimes as whites.

In another county in Ohio, covering Akron, Ohio a black man who murdered his white wife only got 15 years for cold blooded killing.

The same town a white man who killed his wife in cold blood got life and no chance of parole.

The white man had no past history and the black had a sheet as long as you arm for drugs, theft etc.

Both are criminals, both should be in death row.

I just do not see what you are saying at all. If anything I have seen blacks get less then whites for similar crimes. Blacks in most cases have large amounts of previous problems and white have less but get far more punishment.

Having a huge majority of blacks in prisons and jails tells me that the majority are because they more likely to commit crimes when there are 70% more whites by numbers.

Stop making excuses for the numbers that prove our prisons are majority black because the majority of blacks committed the crimes in the first place.

Same for women, look at the numbers.
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Iowa, Heartland of Murica
3,437 posts, read 5,357,641 times
Reputation: 3400
Also, I was in Iowa last year and they were talking about the disproportionate amount of African Americans being incarcerated in the state of Iowa, basically out of the inmate population, 3300 were Black, 800 were Latino and 284 were White. I am sorry but there is a very little crime in Iowa outside of the larger cities like Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport and Sioux City. RACISM? I find it hard to believe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top