Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 PM

12 posts, read 47,652 times

Advertisements

I'm not being racist when I say this(can't I'm black too) that if the black population is above 30% the crime rate is higher, if the black population is higher than other races and make up a majority, the crime rate skyrockets. And if it's equal to any other race, it skyrockets as well.

Then when I find places where the white population is about 80-90 %, there's hardly any crime at all.

Is a higher population in Blacks in towns and cities forcing people to move???

Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,018,573 times
Unfortunately it's been and will be that way for awhile, the blacker the town the worst it is in crime IE: take your pick.

Quote:
I'm not being racist when I say this(can't I'm black too)
I hear that, but what I also hear from my preppy black friends is how much the hate with a passion ghetto black people and how they feel the pressure to be "black" like their friends. They don't even like hanging out with their friends back home b/c of the way they act. That's for another thread though.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,093,226 times
I was actually surprised at the differences in Chicago when I saw the data from two years ago or so.

Blacks, Hispanics and Whites make up roughly 1/3 of the city (give or take, there's around 150,000 Asians).

Murder states though are:

Black: 75%
Hispanic: 19%
White: 6%

Almost a million white people in the city - but usually only a small handfull of murders. A little over a million blacks in the city - but hundreds and hundreds of murders. It's a sad reason why more isn't done in this city - lots of people who aren't living on the west and south side aren't as devoted to dealing with the crime because it's so concentrated in certain neighborhoods that most people don't go. Even of the black population, you have a huge number of black people in the city who aren't living in the "war zones". 75% of the homicides are in areas with 25% of the population.

The areas in the city north of Fullerton have had 15 homicides through November 17th - and have well over 1 million people. That's around 1.5/100,000 people for a city that averages 16/100,000. Just shows how much worse things are on the west and south sides.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 11-18-2009 at 08:39 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,479,472 times
I think it depends some on the nature of the black population. There are several places with high populations of Black Caribbean or Black African immigrants that aren't crime-ridden. Places that mostly have solid black families aren't too bad with crime.

Still the black population in America is disproportionately likely to hold some characteristics that correlate to crime. These include relative youth, children born outside of wedlock, poverty, and low education. Although you're probably right that another factor is "white flight." Whites, especially in times past, would leave an area if blacks moved in. This likely caused some economic dislocation and spurred crime.

I don't think this is a simple black/white issue though. Many East Asian groups are low in crime. The highly Korean-American town of Palisades Park, New Jersey has a pretty low crime rate.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Palisa...ew-Jersey.html

The highly Chinese-American town/suburbs of San Marino and Monterey Park are also below average in crime.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Monter...alifornia.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Ma...alifornia.html

Likewise places with large Central American populations vary widely, but are sometimes quite high in crime.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,747,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think it depends some on the nature of the black population. There are several places with high populations of Black Caribbean or Black African immigrants that aren't crime-ridden. Places that mostly have solid black families aren't too bad with crime.

Still the black population in America is disproportionately likely to hold some characteristics that correlate to crime. These include relative youth, children born outside of wedlock, poverty, and low education. Although you're probably right that another factor is "white flight." Whites, especially in times past, would leave an area if blacks moved in. This likely caused some economic dislocation and spurred crime.

I don't think this is a simple black/white issue though. Many East Asian groups are low in crime. The highly Korean-American town of Palisades Park, New Jersey has a pretty low crime rate.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Palisa...ew-Jersey.html

The highly Chinese-American town/suburbs of San Marino and Monterey Park are also below average in crime.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Monter...alifornia.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Ma...alifornia.html

Likewise places with large Central American populations vary widely, but are sometimes quite high in crime.
Very true...it has more to do with the economics of an area than race. There are majority black middle-class (and up) neighborhoods in Atlanta where crime is very low. The higher-crime areas are inevitably areas with rampant poverty.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM

72,834 posts, read 62,219,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGX159 View Post
I'm not being racist when I say this(can't I'm black too) that if the black population is above 30% the crime rate is higher, if the black population is higher than other races and make up a majority, the crime rate skyrockets. And if it's equal to any other race, it skyrockets as well.

Then when I find places where the white population is about 80-90 %, there's hardly any crime at all.

There is a correlation between race and crime. Correlation is NOT causation. One's race does not cause them to committ a crime. You should know that. There are places with large African-American populations that are not crime-ridden. Example:Lathrup Village,MI(a Detroit suburb), which is 49% African-American. The crime rate there is lower than in Taylor,MI(also a Detroit suburb), which is 8% African=American. Race isn't a cause, it is a correlation. Black residents in Lathrup Village also have higher incomes. The poorer an area is, the more likely it is that the area will have a higher crime rate. African-Americans are more likely to live in poverty-ridden areas and to be living in poverty. Something to think about. Another thing to think about is this. If African-Americans are committing alot of crimes, there is also a higher victimhood among African-Americans. Most crimes committed by African-Amerricans are committed against other African-Americans.
Do you ever ask WHY crime rates in many African-American communities tend to be higher? I don't think you do ask. It appears that you just accept it as is. I personally don't. As an African-American myself, I don't accept it. I see the statistics, but I ask WHY and what can be done to make things better. I don't accept things as is. I look at things from the perspective of how it should be.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 AM

33 posts, read 249,563 times
I would say it has more to do with economy. Poor people are generally more voilent and prone to criminal acts because they have less to lose and in America, unfortunately, blacks are more poor than other races, specially whites, on average.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM

72,834 posts, read 62,219,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Unfortunately it's been and will be that way for awhile, the blacker the town the worst it is in crime IE: take your pick.

I hear that, but what I also hear from my preppy black friends is how much the hate with a passion ghetto black people and how they feel the pressure to be "black" like their friends. They don't even like hanging out with their friends back home b/c of the way they act. That's for another thread though.
I don't like the way some African-Americans behave either, but my perspective is this. Put 100 African-Americans who are educated and make a decent income in one place and put 100 African-Americans with very little education and no money or job skills. See what happens. The places with 100 African-Americans who have the education, money and job skills isn't going to become crime ridden. The place with the latter is certain going to have crime issues. Case in point, Lathrup Village,MI. High income area that is majority African-American. It isn't a crime-ridden place. In fact, it is a very safe place to live. Olympia Fields,IL;Ladera,CA;Baldwin Hills,CA. Those are just a few examples. Milwaukee's case is a very high poverty rate among African-Americans, very high jobless rate(the nation's highest), add to that an African-American brain drain out of Milwaukee, well that is just a recipe for alot of crime. From what I find, it isn't so much if a city gets "blacker" but if the residents higher levels of poverty and unemployment.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,054,630 times
White Flight happens for a reason.

Those who cram diversity down our collective throats need only look at racial makeup of the cities with high crime rates to understand.

Statistics don't lie.

If it comes down to diversity or protecting my family from the criminal scum of this earth.....well I believe you know the answer to that. I flew the coop a long time ago.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,829,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGX159 View Post

<Off Topic>

I'm not calling you racist in any way, but being black (or any other 'minority' for that matter) does not mean a person can't be racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.