Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,872,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Blacks are about 12% or 13% of the population in this country yet commit over 50% of the violent crime. Economics cannot be blamed for this because there are more poor whites in this country than poor blacks.

It's true that there is less crime in middle and upper class black neighborhoods but there is still more crime than there is in upper and mddle class white neighborhoods. There is more crime in poor black neighborhoods than there is in poor white neighborhoods. There are more active ethics investigation of blacks in Congress than whites as a percentage of their numbers in Congress.

In New York City, not a majority black city, during the fist three months of 2009, 52 percent of all people stopped for questioning were black, nine percent were white. Blacks are 24 percent of the population but were 52 percent of all stops.

New York City Crime reports for this period obtained from victims and witnesses indicate that blacks commit about 82 percent of all shootings and 72 percent of all roberries. Whites commit about 5 percent of all violent crimes. Whites make up about 35 percent of the city's population.

People like to say that they are poor and that's why they commit more crime or that racism is to blame but there is something more going on here than economics or racism. Those who talk about black culture may be a little closer to the truth. As long as we keep lying about the problem there will be no solution. Only when we accept the truth can we begin to look at possible solutions.

Crime in the black community is more of a social pathology. Blacks also have a 70% illegitimacy rate, a recent CDC report indicates that blacks account for 71% of reorted ghonorrhea cases and almost half of chlamdia and syphillis cases in 2008:

Sex infections still growing in U.S., says CDC | General News | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20091116/NEWS-US-SEX-DISEASES-USA/ - broken link)

These are all the result of social pathologies. I congratulate the OP for attempting to open up an honest dialog regarding these things. The majority of blacks are not social pathologists (did I just make up a phrase?). We need to make a distinction just as we do between radical Islamic extremists and everyday Muslims or Christian extremists and everyday Christians.

I've done a lot of thinking, reading and research on this and I've got some ideas which I may share if this doesn't become another bash blacks thread. Although I imagine many folks would not like my ideas anyway but it does seem to me that something has to be done. Also, I think it is difficult to talk about this problem without it seeming as though we are bashing blacks. Sometimes I fall into that myself. I become frustrated because of the denial. I try to get people to admit that there is a problem so that we can discuss solutions.

- Reel
The statistics are actually more shocking when you consider that of that 12%, only about 4% are black males between the ages of 15 and 50 -- the gender and age group most likely to commit crimes. That means that about 4% of the population is committing over 50% of the crimes.

I always like your posts. It's true that the problem can't be solved until people are willing to acknowledge it.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,756,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That is true to an extent, but we can not ignore the possible influence of cultural influence either. That is, the black "ghetto" culture tends to encourage a moralistic behavior that supports such direction. This is why there are many black people who come down hard on the rap and "gansta" culture for advocating certain lifestyle behaviors to which encourage crime.

That is not to say that certain sub cultures within each race don't also have their negative influences, but it would be a bit narrow to assume it is simply poverty to which attributes to such actions. I personally think sub culture plays a large part in it.

a sub-culture of people living in poverty. Poverty is the key behind all the research done on crime.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My view on it is this. People off all races and ethnicities committ crimes. In many cases, it is a matter of who gets caught. i haven't noticed an uptick in drug activity, but I have noticed these "control pathology" crimes, such as mass shootings occurring since the recession started. These mass shootings are what I notice are going on. Not just Ft. Hood, but at a nursing home in San Jose, a Nebraska mall shooting, police shooting in Pittsburgh, etc. I notice more of this wholesale violence.

good point on who gets caught being we all (most of us) realize AA's are profiled by police.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post

In New York City, not a majority black city, during the fist three months of 2009, 52 percent of all people stopped for questioning were black, nine percent were white. Blacks are 24 percent of the population but were 52 percent of all stops.

- Reel

hello.....think you answered your own question?? it's called profiling. Black people are profiled as criminals by police and other people.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,872,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
a sub-culture of people living in poverty. Poverty is the key behind all the research done on crime.
You may want to take a lesson from your own book -- there may be correlation but not causation.

Some people are poor despite working hard, and they are on the way up, trying to better themselves. They are not criminals. Good for them. Other people are poor because they have a legacy of ignorance and sloth which leads to perpetual poverty. In other words, they are poor for the same underlying reasons that they are criminals.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
The statistics are actually more shocking when you consider that of that 12%, only about 4% are black males between the ages of 15 and 50 -- the gender and age group most likely to commit crimes. That means that about 4% of the population is committing over 50% of the crimes.

I always like your posts. It's true that the problem can't be solved until people are willing to acknowledge it.

please learn how to analyze data if you are going to use it to support racist beliefs.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,514,745 times
wow a lot of stereotypical racism going on in here! What the hell is the comment with STDs and blacks also?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM

7,511 posts, read 11,300,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think it depends some on the nature of the black population. There are several places with high populations of Black Caribbean or Black African immigrants that aren't crime-ridden. Places that mostly have solid black families aren't too bad with crime.

Still the black population in America is disproportionately likely to hold some characteristics that correlate to crime. These include relative youth, children born outside of wedlock, poverty, and low education.
Exactly. Too many people don't make distinctions with Black-Americans. They just throw us all together. This causes people to mis read what's going on with Black Americans as far as social problems.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
You may want to take a lesson from your own book -- there may be correlation but not causation.

Some people are poor despite working hard, and they are on the way up, trying to better themselves. They are not criminals. Good for them. Other people are poor because they have a legacy of ignorance and sloth which leads to perpetual poverty. In other words, they are poor for the same underlying reasons that they are criminals.

your opinion is not a stat. The underlying cause in nearly every study on crime rates is poverty. Not race. Being black or pink does not cause one to commit crimes. Being poor, hungry, homeless, etc does.

Working hard does not gurantee moving up. You can work 2 full time jobs at min. wage and still be in poverty.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,987,777 times
Greeting's,

The "Crime Rate" in America is truly an unfortunate matter of enormous concern for millions of American Citizens !

And the degree of concern expressed among so many Americans is quite frankly a matter of statistics ..... and statistics do not lie !

Regardless of what "Race" we as Americans are ..... We are not a "Racist simply because we can read and understand that a certain race of Americans are committing more crimes than others !

Just a glance at the "Race" populations of prisioners in America's overcrowded "Jail and Prisons" should easily convince a logical person of whom is committting the " Most Violent Crimes" in this nation!

We are not being a "Racist" simply because we know the facts and are concerned for the safety of our children and neighborhoods. Only a complete idiot would attempt to play the "Race Card" on anyone for speaking the truth regarding this important matter !

As a matter of fact it's the proven "Criminal Element" in the cities and towns whom should be legally forced to move out ..... and not the law abiding citizens of all races concerned !

To the "Race Card" Loonies among us I have a suggestion : QUITYERBELLYACHIN !

Afterall it's your neighborhood too, and your family ..... Do you want to live in a crime ridden and dangerous community where it's not safe for the children to play outside ?

Anyone whom would apply the "Racist" lable to this issue is absolutely and acutely "Dellusional !

Thanks / Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 11-19-2009 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Too many words / Thanks / Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies