Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 07:16 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times

Advertisements

Well interesting the OP stated that the blacks on average have a higher crime rate than whites, however I like to point here in Australia Aborignals are more likely to be imprisoned compared to non Aboriginals.

For Aboriginal men the rate of imprisonment increased by 27 per cent in the years between 2000 and 2008, and for women, by more than 40 per cent. Indigenous adults are now 13 times more likely than non-indigenous adults to be sent to gaol, and they're much more likely to re-offend.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:29 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Economy definately plays a part, but it is also due to a certain mentality many young black people have. It's sort of a chip on their shoulder, as if they were doomed from birth to be criminals. I always here this excuse, how they were raised poor and had so little opportunity. Well, I was raised poor and have had to fight for every single thing I have ever gotten. It would have been much easier to go the route of crime to get the things I wanted, but my common sense told me what path was the safe path. Perhaps this is the problem, a general lack in common sense or planning. Perhaps these people live a little too much according to what's best at the moment to accomodate their needs. I simply don't really know the whole answer.

i agree along the same lines of thought....i think that there is alot of pier pressure in the black neighborhoods with the youth and instead of being called a name from it like in white neighborhoods ..things are settled with violence instead...plus the one parent households and the media (hip-hop, sports, and movies) has conditioned these black youth to only see certain paths out of thier situations ...and we all know what you have to act like to be accepted within the hip-hop culture so i think it is kind of a conditioning that has happened to most young blacks...but there are some that wake up and realize they can do other things than what the media says they can do to succeed.....there are many different cases and different types of individuals but in my general view this is how i see it...

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
I think you just did what you were speaking out against. You were using those statcs to justify your side of things. Of course, when you look at that and notice that the homicides for blacks and whites are very close, you forget that the race with the majority of the population of the United States is white. So blacks, should technically be a lot lower. Not the same. I do believe the poverty plays a role in crime, but I think the influence of popular culture plays a major role as well.
What I was speaking out against was using stats to justify racial prejudice. I was using these stats to confirm to the poster I responded to that he was right. There is a difference there. The stats I posted show what you are also saying in this post that the number of homicides for Blacks and Whites are very close, which is what I said in the post you responded to.

You have a point that poverty can play a role in this, as well as other factors. That was part of my point as well. Race itself isn't a cause. Race itself only correlates with that. There are other things contributing to crime and one must ask about it. That is something I am seeing that a few people will not do. The thing I was speaking about was using stats as a reason to be prejudice.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
And of course, the FBI/URC, don't twist statistics.
And you think other sources are even more accurate?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:55 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I did a check. The number of homicides for both Blacks and Whites are not that far off from one another. Expanded Homicide Data Table 1 - Crime in the United States 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_01.html - broken link)

Expanded Homicide Data Table 3 - Crime in the United States 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_03.html - broken link)

While the FBI stats are more accurate, people will swear by whatever they find. What I was trying to say that alot of people want to justify their prejudice.
Sorry, I was agreeing with you on your argument. The facts being posted I was referring to are the ones referenced by those who keep claiming blacks commit at higher rates.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Sorry, I was agreeing with you on your argument. The facts being posted I was referring to are the ones referenced by those who keep claiming blacks commit at higher rates.
Understandable. That was the point I was driving home. Many of the persons who have referenced the stats often do so to make it seem excusable to be racist, even though we all know it isn't excusable.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Understandable. That was the point I was driving home. Many of the persons who have referenced the stats often do so to make it seem excusable to be racist, even though we all know it isn't excusable.
Exactly. These people spew incorrect stats and stereotypes then claim they are 'facts' then when the actual facts are shown they claim ignorance to them, disappears, then reappear with new handles respewing the old incorrect facts.

The odd thing about it is this shows they know what they are saying is incorrect, but that they seek to convince others of these lies rather than accept the truth and move on.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,055 times
Quote:
There are approximately 39 million blacks in this country and approximately 210 million whites. In 2008 blacks committed 5943 murders and whites committed 5334 murders.

In 2008 only 13% of the population committed approximately the same number of murders as 70% of the population.

Would you mind explaining to me and the other readers how this is not a higher murder rate for blacks?

I await your reply. Thank you,

- Reel

Old 01-03-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Exactly. These people spew incorrect stats and stereotypes then claim they are 'facts' then when the actual facts are shown they claim ignorance to them, disappears, then reappear with new handles respewing the old incorrect facts.

The odd thing about it is this shows they know what they are saying is incorrect, but that they seek to convince others of these lies rather than accept the truth and move on.
There are approximately 39 million blacks in this country and approximately 210 million whites. In 2008 blacks committed 5943 murders and whites committed 5334 murders.

In 2008 only 13% of the population committed approximately the same number of murders as 70% of the population.

Would you mind explaining to me and the other readers how this is not a higher murder rate for blacks?

I await your reply. Thank you,

- Reel

Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Let me help you:

(number of murders by y / number of y in population) x 1000 = rate per 1000 of murders committed by y.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies